Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Homeward Bound Events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Gallant
msg tools
A quick confirmation on the cards. Some of these cards are hard to decipher what is actually supposed to transpire.
For the homeward event cards that say, "Inflict 1 light damage hit on each aircraft that does not expend a weapon counter". Does that mean that any aircraft that has a weapon counter still on it can expend it and avoid a hit and all that cannot (that have used all their weapons) will suffer a hit? Or is it referring to aircraft that expended weapons during a mission?
And there was one that said, "Expend 2 WPs of air to ground weapons..." and "Discard an AGM-65....". Are these referring to one aircraft that has to do this, or all of them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - in almost all of the questions you asked in the last days, you simply over-interprete things.

Just do what the card tells you.

It does not tell you to do something with aircrafts that have expended weapons counters, but it tells aircrafts to expend one (or inflict a hit otherwise).

So yes, our first guess is rigth: that means that any aircraft that has a weapon counter still on it can expend it and avoid a hit and all that cannot (that have used all their weapons) will suffer a hit.


Same for the second question. Does the Card tell you to expend the weapons from one aircraft?
No - so just expend them from whatever aircraft you have on your Mission.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gallant
msg tools
Thanks. Over thinking things has become second nature, unfortunately. I have worked as an electronics technician for almost 20 years, comes with the territory I'm afraid. Thanks for the info.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knarr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of wiggle room though and I can understand his question. For example, as the rules are written, you can expend an AIM missile to prevent damage from a hidden AAA site Event card, which I would house-rule to not be possible. The event cards are worded in a way that you need to apply your own judgement a lot of times. See for example the COIN games on the other hand, that are equally tight-lipped but have to have comments on how EVERY single event works in their rulebooks.

With a solo Game however I feel that there is not as much at stake, because in the end whether you rule things leniently or harshly is upon yourself (just like it is technically your decision to fudge dice rolls or not!), whereas in a multiplayer game one side of the conflict might feel cheated when rules are judged against them.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Putenbrust wrote:
There is a lot of wiggle room though and I can understand his question. For example, as the rules are written, you can expend an AIM missile to prevent damage from a hidden AAA site Event card, which I would house-rule to not be possible.

Why? Story could be you expend the AIM (consider it as being a bunch of them), this makes your aircraft lighter and/or more manouvreable, so you luckily manage to escape.

But in General I absolutely agree with what you have written:

Putenbrust wrote:
The event cards are worded in a way that you need to apply your own judgement a lot of times. See for example the COIN games on the other hand, that are equally tight-lipped but have to have comments on how EVERY single event works in their rulebooks.

With a solo Game however I feel that there is not as much at stake, because in the end whether you rule things leniently or harshly is upon yourself (just like it is technically your decision to fudge dice rolls or not!), whereas in a multiplayer game one side of the conflict might feel cheated when rules are judged against them.


...and with DVG's games, it's not only te cards that are not clearly worded...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knarr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why? Story could be you expend the AIM (consider it as being a bunch of them), this makes your aircraft lighter and/or more manouvreable, so you luckily manage to escape.


I haven't seen it like that before, but that's a good idea! I think I went into another line of thinking because I played Phantom Leader before this game, where you can spend only appropriate air-ground weapons to suppress enemies that try to shoot at you. But I can see on the way home how the planes likely wouldn't bother attacking encountered AAAs anyway but instead jettison everything and dart away.

Actually, I think I'll stick with how I used to play it but only for mechanical reasons, because I found myself often having some spare AIM missiles I packed only in case I'd encounter a random helicopter over the target. Having them be "dead weight" for those events will make the decision to bring these back-ups a bit more interesting for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.