Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: No mech win / victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had anyone won while deploying no mechs?

If so, which faction and player board did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
My cousin won using no mechas at all while playing Polania (4 or 5 players).

Not remember which mat is was though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiance won with Crimea by making use of recruits early and the wild resource for a combat card ability. It was close, but she won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Baxter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Polania in a very close victory, lack of metal meant that I couldn't work it into my strat, came down to territory control in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnson Orr
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Pick 'em Up!
badge
You know my methods, Watson.
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost had a win with no mechs using Nordic. The ability to spread out in the beginning with the workers was pretty powerful. It was a two player game, and my opponent wizened up to my strategy really quickly, and in the last two turns he actually trapped me on my island. It was a sad loss, but a fun game nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Parsons
United States
Spring Valley
ca
flag msg tools
I recently won a tourney playing Polania Engineering with no mechs and only 2 stars (upgrade and structure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game this weekend. It was a two player game and neither of us knew what we were doing. I won with no mechs. Score was 70s to 40s. My opponent was playing the red russian type team, i dont remember what i was - maybe white? But my special power was getting to choose 2 choices from some card that offered 3. Also, i was on the other end of the board from red. I was white Polonia. My player mat had building using wood and i did that alot to get the 3 money. I got 6 stars to end the game and had alot of resources. I never went past the 3 basic hexes. My opponent had built up all 4 mechs and went to factory. There was only one battle, that i initiated, to see what it was like and i had a goal card associated with it. Since my opponent was situated in a place with metal and could build mechs quickly, and I was not, i focused on upgrades.

EDIT: updated with bolded info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Houle
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
DIE
badge
WESTERN
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with Nords. No mechs and 2 stars. 6 player game. I had the board where deploying got zero coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Elle
msg tools
I got a no mech win last night. It was actually my first victory with this particular group I game with. They're highly skilled and I've probably lost over 20 games of Scythe with them, coming in last place every time.

I played Polania with Board 5 (Agriculture) and went last in the turn order. My friends were playing Albion, Rusviet, and Crimea. End score for me was 109 with I think 79 in 2nd place.

I had cheap upgrades, so I traded early on frequently to make Enlist very cheap. After I was able to get Enlist down to 1 food, I bolstered frequently and ended up getting my stars for Power and Enlist relatively quickly.

Due to having my Enlist recruit free, I got a lot of popularity, as well as additional popularity from the encounter card on Polonia's village tile. I built a couple times and ended up gaining more popularity from my building during the bolster action.

Following this, I felt stuck, as I didn't have many opportunities to trade, as endgame was near and I wouldn't be able to get enough metal to move elsewhere to complete my last building, so I ended up building my last 3 workers for that star and then did a trade to complete my popularity star.

I was behind on 2 stars at the end of the game, but was high enough on the popularity track to have the extra points make quite a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Mangine
msg tools
I won with Polania and the Patriotic mat with no mechs. I actually deployed a few times toward the end of the game but didn't put any mechs on the board... just pocketed the 4 coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ngmangine wrote:
I won with Polania and the Patriotic mat with no mechs. I actually deployed a few times toward the end of the game but didn't put any mechs on the board... just pocketed the 4 coins.

You paid the resources and didn’t deploy a mech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is possible. You can always decide to only partially get rewards.

(But you always have to fully pay any costs!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bell
Isle of Man
msg tools
Just because it is possible, doesn't mean it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want a mech?

I'm surprised by winners without one mech but I suppose if you keep your workers together and resources down the pay off for attacking you won't be there. Don't make the mistake of transporting workers with your character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ngmangine wrote:

I understand why you might want to use the deploy action for the coins without getting a mech early in the game if you're going for an objective that requires few mechs, but why would you do that toward the end of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people might want to win without buying or using a mech as a special challenge ?!

It is part of the achievement sheet as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
Some people might want to win without buying or using a mech as a special challenge ?!

It is part of the achievement sheet as well.

Towards the end of a game, you might not be able to use the mech and if you have low power, then deploying a mech could be handing an opponent a combat star with no benefit to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which honest Scythe-player would seriously abuse a lonely, powerless mech to gain a star? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
No mech win, 6p, Polania/Agricultural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing this thread before. I'll report a no mech win this past weekend in a four player game. I was able to upgrade quickly (under bolster), but just never really produced for metal, so didn't bother deploying. I didn't have any recruits either. I was Nordic and used my workers to spread out to multiple territories and built all four buildings for the full building bonus.

Final scores were 60 Nordic (me - placed 6th star: Upgrade, Building, Workers, Objective, Force, and 1 Battle), 54 Saxony (an experienced player), 34 Polonia (a new player), 28 Crimea (an experienced player who realized he got sidetracked). No one got out the first tier of popularity - something I was watching closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Michalowski
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually just did this on the digital scythe game with Polania/Agricultural on a rather reasonable turn count.

In my experience, going for a no-mech victory usually means focusing on upgrading or going for the upgrade star. There's one main reason for this, moving without mechs is way less efficient. It might seems weird at first, but you need the efficiency that upgrading gives in order to compete. Usually the first two upgrades I get are for moving 3 and producing on 3 tiles.

Since getting combat stars is really hard, your main strat is to go for max economy efficiency. Lots of bottom actions and gold and very little moving. Usually you need three primary stars to win (deploy, upgrade, build, enlist). Upgrading is really important for doing a bottom action every turn. Planning what stars you will go for at the start of the game is also really important. Making inefficient movements is much more punishing.

That being said, its still not easy and also very situational for your faction/player mat combo. Agricultural and Engineering are the best for this strat. I think it might work for militant also, but I've never done it with militant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martorana
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
MrDer wrote:
I actually just did this on the digital scythe game with Polania/Agricultural on a rather reasonable turn count.

In my experience, going for a no-mech victory usually means focusing on upgrading or going for the upgrade star. There's one main reason for this, moving without mechs is way less efficient. It might seems weird at first, but you need the efficiency that upgrading gives in order to compete. Usually the first two upgrades I get are for moving 3 and producing on 3 tiles.

Since getting combat stars is really hard, your main strat is to go for max economy efficiency. Lots of bottom actions and gold and very little moving. Usually you need three primary stars to win (deploy, upgrade, build, enlist). Upgrading is really important for doing a bottom action every turn. Planning what stars you will go for at the start of the game is also really important. Making inefficient movements is much more punishing.

That being said, its still not easy and also very situational for your faction/player mat combo. Agricultural and Engineering are the best for this strat. I think it might work for militant also, but I've never done it with militant.

In the Digital Scythe game, I did it with Patriotic Crimea. I agree that upgrading is paramount and you end up needing to move Workers a lot more.
The ability to spend Cards as resources helps out a lot. With Crimea and either Patriotic or Agricultural, you can Move/Upgrade twice off of a single Trade.

I also set the game to exactly 3 Players to maximize my Enlist benefits. The biggest downside on the Digital Scythe to this is that there's no way that I could find to take the coins from Bolster/Deploy without also taking the Mech. I still think Patriotic Crimea was better for me than Agricultural, though. I earned enough Power from Trade, my Factory, Encounters, and everyone's Upgrades to not actually need to Bolster much at all. Crimea starts at 5 Power. So long as you don't use it up, you pick your battles, and you spend minimal on your battles (i.e. attack weak opponents who are likely to only spend 1 on the Combat), getting 2 Combat Stars is doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khal Sogo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Did it once with Nord Engineer. I just focused on building my engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.