Subject: Rules Question Regarding Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Marbury
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So my buddy and I are playing through the story mode and have encountered something of a conundrum. One of his characters is Sibyl and he's playing her as a Nightshade Ranger. One of the skills he has acquired is level 2 shadow hunter ([shadow mode] attack: defender -1 defense die. There is a page in the rule book that states as follows:

"A dice roll can include up to three dice of each color. Any exceeding amount is lost. Any dice penalty is applied after the 3 dice cap is reached."

Does this mean that he can only apply his skill if the enemy is rolling three of one color of defense dice? For instance if the defender has 3 green defense dice, he removes one so the defender is only rolling 2. And if the defender has 2 green dice, the defender retains both dice since he is not at the cap. We've been playing it as though he gets to remove a defense die, no matter how many are being rolled. Is this correct or are we missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's correct. The dice cap was mentioned that the Penalty always applies after capping the dice. for example if a mosnter would roll 4 dice, it will be capped to 3 before substracting the Penalty. Otherwise the penalty would result in the dice cap, and had no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your situation (defender rolling less than the max of 6 dice), you get to take one away. The rule is intending to enforce the max of 6 dice rule before applying your dice penalty. If by some combination of abilities and equipment the defender gets to roll 7 defense dice, and then your dice penalty is applied so they have to roll 6, you end up getting no benefit since the rules limit defense dice to 6 already. Apply the max dice rule first (capping the defense dice at 6), then take away dice from there (taking defender down to 5) to get an actual benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Schmarbs523 wrote:
We've been playing it as though he gets to remove a defense die, no matter how many are being rolled. Is this correct or are we missing something?

It is correct.

Schmarbs523 wrote:
"Any dice penalty is applied after the 3 dice cap is reached."

e.g. This rule says that if an Enemy has 4 green defense die (by summing up his own die and its equipped Armor die), you cap that to 3 green die, and then you remove 1 (green) die by your skill. So that enemy only rolls 2 green die.

The same apply for Hero if he has 2 one-handed Weapons and the Enemy remove some Attack die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernani Junior
msg tools
How about if the Enemy gonna roll something like 2 Blue and 1 green dice. I choose if I remove one blue or one green? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyryc wrote:
How about if the Enemy gonna roll something like 2 Blue and 1 green dice. I choose if I remove one blue or one green? Thanks in advance!

If given an instruction "remove 1 Defense die" then yes, you choose. Sometimes you are only given the option to remove a particular colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
cyryc wrote:

a skill that removes 1 defense dice removes any type (blue or green) BEFORE the roll. An enchantment that removes a defense dice removes any one defense (blue or green) AFTER the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatas Sousa
msg tools
Doomgrin wrote:
cyryc wrote:

a skill that removes 1 defense dice removes any type (blue or green) BEFORE the roll. An enchantment that removes a defense dice removes any one defense (blue or green) AFTER the roll.

Thats a problem I'm constantly having. I saw in the rules that removed dice are not even rolled. What happens with the enchantments though? Do I remove the dice that benefits the user the most, even when its a monster? What If It removes a die with bam/diamond, do the removed dice still trigger defense enchantments since the attack effects are applied after the defense ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiliom wrote:
Thats a problem I'm constantly having. I saw in the rules that removed dice are not even rolled. What happens with the enchantments though? Do I remove the dice that benefits the user the most, even when its a monster? What If It removes a die with bam/diamond, do the removed dice still trigger defense enchantments since the attack effects are applied after the defense ones?

You choose the die removed, regardless of if a monster or you has the ability. Feel free to choose the die that is worse for you if you feel that's too easy.

The Defender enchantments will trigger before the Attacker ones, so Bams and Diamonds of the Defender will trigger before the Attacker activates his Attack Bam: Subtract one defense die. A Defender with Defense Bam: Subtract one attack die will trigger before the Attacker uses his enchantments, though.

Yes, this is all rather unfair, but it's officially onfirmed to be how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. That's not how I do it (I remove all dice AFTER rolling, the same as for skills that remove shields), but I will note it as a variant I'm playing when I post my future reports.

Which is all the more reason for there to be an official FAQ. Has CMON done one or expressed an interest in doing one? I guess it's not a big deal since you don't play "tournaments" for this game (thank God). I for one have gotten MORE than my money's worth out of it. I'm on the last mission now. Probably will put it away after that for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
You choose the die removed, regardless of if a monster or you has the ability. Feel free to choose the die that is worse for you if you feel that's too easy

I know this is the official ruling, but it doesn't really make sense. Why wouldn't an enemy always choose your best die to remove? That's what players do when they remove enemy dice. I know the monsters are dumb, but even that is pushing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.