Subject: Rulebook Example on State Cards (p 16) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
In the middle of page 16, the third paragraph of the example baffles me.

The first sentence of that paragraph reads: "Since several players were involved in the action and it was a failure, Bruno, as the active player, must take a 100 card and gets paranoid."

Why does Bruno have to take a 100 card?
Why does Bruno have to take any card?

Within the four corners of the rules (I have not played the game yet!), I cannot make any sense of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules beside the consequence section of taking an action :
Important!
If a collective action (one with several involved
characters) is a failure, the active player must
take a 100 card – they become paranoid –
right after applying the consequence of the
action.

Also, in the "easily forgotten rules", #7 :
If more than one player is involved in an action that
is a failure, the active player must take a 100 card –
therefore becoming paranoid – right after applying
the consequence of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Thank you. I see it now.

Grrrrr .... hugely important rules should be in the main body of the rulerook ... even if they are highlighted as "Important" !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
And they are. I didn't miss that when reading the rules, it was clear to me.

That said this is one bizarre rulebook as it tries to teach you the game without spoiling it to you. Tough call!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite sure it is in the main body of the rules and repeated again under easily overlooked rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it is one of the 7 easily forgotten rules on p22, so it is hard to say it is hidden away.

I think I am going to start suggesting that whn people read the rulebook, they read it once, then do a second pass reading only the boxes marked "Important" and "Note", as it seems a lot of people ar forgetting their content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot to learn at first. You should keep the rulebook at hand for the first games.
Luckily you can get rid much sooner than with the disaster that is Arkham Horror: the card game's rulebook(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is also noted on the player aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
For failing to read the rules with sufficient thoroughness, I am sorry.

For failing to read sidenotes that might be key rules with sufficient thoroughness, I am sorry.

For posting a question about the rules before finishing reading the rules, for assuming that folks would be happy to simply help, I am sorry.

For having the temerity to ask a rules question at all, I am sorry.

For posting on BGG in the first place ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to see that you have had a bad experience.

Please don't take any malice in the comments here, as I don't think any was intended by any of the people in this thread. Perhaps you thought we were mocking you, but that is not the case. You complained that the rule seemed hidden away in the comment box and we had to respond to indicate the other places that the rule was mentioned.

We are all happy to help, and we appreciate the questions, as getting questions, even silly ones that are obviously answered in the rules, helps us to see what rules people are missing or not clearly understanding and so on. That's the purpose of my comment above, as the fact you missed this rule will help me improve how I inform others to read the rules in the future.

So please don't be discouraged to ask questions, but also please understand that we may have to be a bit pedantic in our replies to ensure the responses are clear and that any misinformation is addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it buddy I have plenty of times asked a rules question only to find out that it was covered in the rules but I juts missed it. You feel a little stupid, but it is of course no problem, just be happy that the misunderstanding is cleared up and move on have a great day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be sorry, different people will read a rulebook in different ways. What matters is that now you see how Paranoid works. Please don't take a 100 card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.