Subject: Moving To Another Terrain card (p 19) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
The rules talk about how "some permanent events" apparently "break the rule" about moving only between TERRAIN cards.

But these rules do not do a very good job of explaining to someone who is trying to learn the game for first play.

Am I being told that some permanent events allow passage by movement, and some permanent events do not? They will show "several placement arrows"? Will the card tell me this? How will I know which permanent event cards allow movement through them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
The rules talk about how "some permanent events" apparently "break the rule" about moving only between TERRAIN cards.

But these rules do not do a very good job of explaining to someone who is trying to learn the game for first play.

Am I being told that some permanent events allow passage by movement, and some permanent events do not?

That is precisely what you are being told. Some permanent events allow for movement through them. Some do not.

Quote:
They will show "several placement arrows"? Will the card tell me this?

It will have the arrows. it will not say "Hey, look at these placement arrows." But it will be clear how to place them.

Quote:
How will I know which permanent event cards allow movement through them?

The card will tell you how to move through it, if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've misinterpreted things a little bit. I think the part that is causing you issues its:
Rules p17 wrote:
It may happen that some permanent events (cliff, raging
river, bottomless pit, etc.) showing several placement
arrows separate two Terrain cards. In this case, these events
feature an action whose consequence is to move the figures
to the Terrain card on the other side of the obstacle.

This is not saying that some of these allow passage by movement. It's saying that all such events will block movement. However, those permanent events will provide a way to move between the terrain cards that are pointed to as stated on the card.

So movement via the 4-way arrow consequence is always only moving via connected tiles. Permanent event cards are never going to be crossed by this method, although such events will probably have a different way to move provided by the card that can be taken from the terrain card/s that are pointed to.

Edit: ninja'd, but we took different tacks at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I think you've misinterpreted things a little bit. I think the part that is causing you issues its:
Rules p17 wrote:
It may happen that some permanent events (cliff, raging
river, bottomless pit, etc.) showing several placement
arrows separate two Terrain cards. In this case, these events
feature an action whose consequence is to move the figures
to the Terrain card on the other side of the obstacle.

This is not saying that some of these allow passage by movement. It's saying that all such events will block movement. However, those permanent events will provide a way to move between the terrain cards that are pointed to as stated on the card.

So movement via the 4-way arrow consequence is always only moving via connected tiles. Permanent event cards are never going to be crossed by this method, although such events will probably have a different way to move provided by the card that can be taken from the terrain card/s that are pointed to.

Furthermore, it will be very clear which card will prevent you from moving through them and will require you to take the special action it offers as the only means to move through them. And, yes, that also means that if you want to go back you can't "fast travel" through them, you have to take the special action again.

Don't worry, the game is a lot easier to go through than the rules make it seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
chuckm1961 wrote:

Am I being told that some permanent events allow passage by movement, and some permanent events do not?

That is precisely what you are being told. Some permanent events allow for movement through them. Some do not.

Quote:
They will show "several placement arrows"? Will the card tell me this?

It will have the arrows. it will not say "Hey, look at these placement arrows." But it will be clear how to place them.

Quote:
How will I know which permanent event cards allow movement through them?

The card will tell you how to move through it, if you can.

I wish they had asked you to edit the rules. A few simple words, and walla, it's clear and not muddy! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they really needed to say at the beginning of the rules is:

Quote:

These rules explain everything you need to play the game, but you will not understand how everything in the game works until you encounter it in the game. Just relax and play the game and consult the rules when you get to that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
What they really needed to say at the beginning of the rules is:

Quote:

These rules explain everything you need to play the game, but you will not understand how everything in the game works until you encounter it in the game. Just relax and play the game and consult the rules when you get to that point.

That would be a good addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.