35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Want to surprise husband! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angie Rod
msg tools
I am new here and not much of a board gamer. My husband is, and as you might imagine he asks me to play and usually I don't want to.

What's a good game that I could buy that we could both play? I need something that is easy for me to learn but not too boring for him. I am actually pretty competitive and could see it being fun but I'd rather play with just him than a big group.

What's a good two player game for couples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Shever
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you two like poker, I suggest Pyramid Poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
AngieCheese wrote:
I am new here and not much of a board gamer. My husband is, and as you might imagine he asks me to play and usually I don't want to.

What's a good game that I could buy that we could both play? I need something that is easy for me to learn but not too boring for him. I am actually pretty competitive and could see it being fun but I'd rather play with just him than a big group.

What might help as a starting point is:
-What games does he already own?
-What games that he owns do you like to play, if any?
-Are there any themes (just generally, even outside of board games) that both of you enjoy? Think of pretty much anything in the world, and there's a game for it, from mushroom foraging to winemaking; and thematic interest is a great hook into a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Carlson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Carcassonne
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
Paperback

These are all favorites of mine and my wife's when it's just the two of us. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends but my wife likes patchwork and 7 wonders duel. there is skill required but enough luck to make it possible to go either way. if you like the theme of the games you should check them out. Patchwork is easier to learn but 7wonders duel is not that hard if you watch the how to play on here on boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngieCheese wrote:

Lost Cities
Mystery Rummy
Hive
Targi
Morels
Ghost Hunter
Red7
Tides of Time
Valley of the Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames Duet
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Roll for the Galaxy
Viticulture
The Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 or Sequence are simple enough games with strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AngieCheese wrote:

What's a good game that I could buy that we could both play? I need something that is easy for me to learn but not too boring for him.

All of these can be purchased on Amazon or Local Game Store relatively easily:

Jaipur - collect goods and camels, trade them in before you opponent does to get more points, play three rounds to determine winner in about 30 minutes. Light, some luck, rewards skill, friendly. Can play multiple times back to back a few times and stay interested. Only plays with two. Skill is pressing your luck, and knowing when collecting more of lesser good, then less of a more valuable good.

Battle Line - Place cards against 9 locations trying to win the majority of them, or some in a row. Cards are places 1 at a time opposite of each other, with 3 cards being the max in a row. Poker style ranking. Can be a bit dry, but challenging. Feels harder than Jaipur, probably play it twice before you want to try something else for the evening. Two player by default (variant for three works well though). Skill in counting cards, and predicting if your opponent has what you need. Same game, prettier graphics Schotten Totten.

Ticket to Ride: Europe - Your husband may already have played this. Build trains across europe by collecting sets of cards. Lighter, looks pretty, train theme, can play 2-5 people, easy rules, and fun. Games can run 45-90 minutes depending on players. There are a number in the series, this one is currently inexpensive online and I think still one of the better maps. Skill is about knowing when to press your luck and when to to not to.

Neuroshima Hex! - Game of battling armies. You pull tiles and have to choose to keep 2 of the 3, and then place them on a board. When the board is full, or someone plays a tile that forces a battle, then you walk through the tiles in order and destroy each other. Scifi theme, with guns. Requires a bunch of tactical thinking, and because each of the four included armies is different, offers quite a bit of replay and difference. Games are about 15 minutes. For two players only. Requires some ability to keep track of order of how things are going to happen on the board to make the best placement.

YINSH - Pretty, abstract game. You try to get 5 in a row, but you have to maneuver a ring piece around the board, and then you can flip pieces from black<->white like reversi/othello. Deeper than checkers or reversi, but rules are simple (strategy is not). You could also look at GIPF, but I like Yinsh better.

Twilight Struggle - ok, probably not your first choice, but if the theme is appealing, don't let the pictures make you think it is complex. A game about the Cold War with what looks like a million pieces, but in the end is a simple set of rules. Watch some of the video reviews to get a better impression.

I probably have some more, but that's a good start to look at, and figure out what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend really loves castles of burgundy (and so do I.)

It's usually pretty cheap on amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another angle to try out is to plan a date to your friendly local game store, if it is indeed friendly. You guys could try some games together and find one to play together that way. there are a lot of great suggestions here, but if you're out of your element, a firsthand experience may benefit you more than input from internet strangers. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Splendor
Castles of Burgundy
Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities (classic couples game)
Splendor
Battle Line (while battle is the theme, it's really about logic)
Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:

If you are not much of a gamer, I would not recommend anything listed in this post.

A highly recommend Patchwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
ckruns624 wrote:
Another angle to try out is to plan a date to your friendly local game store, if it is indeed friendly. You guys could try some games together and find one to play together that way. there are a lot of great suggestions here, but if you're out of your element, a firsthand experience may benefit you more than input from internet strangers. Best of luck!

That's a great idea, but I would suggest a gaming cafe if you can find one nearby. I think date night out to a gaming cafe would be a very nice surprise for your partner, as opposed to purchasing a random game, and perhaps a more conducive setting than a game store for a hesitant gamer to enjoy themselves. Then you can hopefully try out several different games that appeal to you and you both can discover together which ones you most enjoy and might want to later purchase. Or just make it a weekly date night to the gaming cafe - having a pre-set schedule of when you both agree to game together can often help relieve some of the stress in a relationship between one who loves gaming and another who doesn't want to game that much, and going to a nice cafe with food and drink can make it more special than just pulling out a game you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a geeklist of games that my wife and I enjoy when we go out for coffee. A few are out of print, but there are some great current games, too . . .

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and-cof...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that if you are not much of a gamer, we should be picking a game that you specifically would enjoy. I think your husband will be happy to play any game if you are willing. What do you enjoy? What kind of game could you see yourself asking to play? My wife is not much of a gamer either and if she asked me to play a game with her, I would play almost anything, simply because I'd be so excited that she asked to play something.

Until I get a better idea of what you like though, I will recommend Lost Cities, as it is almost the default answer in these situations. Super easy to learn, lots of tension, cheap and easy to find. Great for someone who is competetive. Here is a link to a copy on Amazon, assuming you are based in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T0GY9CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_O-...

For something a little more recent and another great choice is Patchwork. Get this if you like the idea of putting shapes together, like Tetris. This isn't quite as confrontational as Lost Cities though, so get that if you want something more competitive. Get Patchwork if you want something a little more breezy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCCAPPE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_Ma...

Both of those games can be played in under 30 minutes. If you want something a touch more meaty, that maybe goes closer to 45 minutes to an hour and has a big board with pieces, go with Ticket to Ride. Super easy to learn, plenty of strategy and you can be as nice or as mean as you want to each other. Also has the advantage of going to 5 player if you'd like, but I think it still plays great at 2 player.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0975277324/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_Rg...

If you respond with more details about what you might like, I might be able to give more specific recommendations, but in my experience, these games have a fairly high chance of being liked by almost anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many others, I recommend Patchwork. Be advised though, that if you or your husband are not very good at spatial reasoning then Patchwork may be an excercise in frustration.

Another recommendation is Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries. It’d s Ticket to Ride Game that is specifically designed for 2-3 players. It can get pretty cutthroat (in a good way) with just 2 players. My wife can attest to that.

If he’s a big Star Wars fan then Star Wars: Rebellion is a one of my favourite games for 2 players, but it may not be exactly what you’re looking for as it can be a bit daunting for someone who isn’t the board gaming type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanamikoji
Bärenpark
La Granja: No Siesta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, good on you for being willing to do an activity for your husband that you don't typically want to do. That's really great of you.

Second, the game that my wife really enjoyed (who has the same mentality as you) was Carcassonne. It's competitive, relatively quick, plays great at two players and scales well with more players as well.

Carcassonne is well known as a gateway game and has "hooked" many people into the hobby. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hooked my girlfriend with Ascension: Deckbuilding Game and we played 50 times or so before moving on to better games. As a light deckbuilding game it stays fresh for a long time since you'll never really have the same cards in your deck, and it can be competitive without you screwing the other player too much. Don't know if it's up your alley but it worked for us.

Now we're mostly playing Mystic Vale when it's just the two of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Taluva
The Ravens of Thri Sahashri -- this is not hard, though harder to learn than the other two, but the rulebook isn't easy to understand. But worth it.
Hive -- if you like abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.