Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Disappointed / Confused after first play through. *Spoilers* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Karasek
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So came away pretty disappointed after the first play through, basically we couldn't get off the first island. After searching everything available on the island we still didn't have a clue. Whilst packing it away I had a quick look through the action cards I think I found the one, and only card, that can help us. Now we never came across it whilst playing and after doing everything possible on the island we didn't see much point in continuing. So unless I am missing something, possible but I am certain we searched everything, you have to find this action card, which is complety random to have any chance of advancing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sometimes, you have to search things more than once to find what you need.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening,

The reported issue is strange, since there are several ways to travel from the first island. Besides, they are indicated on the map, thus you do not need to cycle the "idea" decks in search of a specific item, as an example.

Are you sure to have explored carefully every bit of the first island?

I hope I helped without spoiling the game.

Best regards,

freourslc
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sometimes, you have to search things more than once to find what you need.


It is easy to forget that you can do this.

Also, don't forget that you can do the action on Cards that are attached to the terrain you are standing on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems strange that you don't know how to get off the island, as mentioned there are several ways to travel, some might be difficult to succeed at but they're easy enough to find if you're exploring everything. Have you at least seen the cards that allow you to leave the island?

Also don't forget to look for hidden numbers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nickk88 wrote:
So came away pretty disappointed after the first play through, basically we couldn't get off the first island. After searching everything available on the island we still didn't have a clue. Whilst packing it away I had a quick look through the action cards I think I found the one, and only card, that can help us. Now we never came across it whilst playing and after doing everything possible on the island we didn't see much point in continuing. So unless I am missing something, possible but I am certain we searched everything, you have to find this action card, which is complety random to have any chance of advancing.


Well, I really don't want to be that guy, but I suspect you've missed some rules? Even beyond the potential for hidden numbers, or even searching locations multiple times (where possible) there is the ... obvious? ... way off the island. I mean...I don't want to play the spoiler game...but it's something you should probably do if you find yourself in water that goes over your head...

Can you describe your play session? Maybe we can help you figure out where things went wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, there are a few ways to get off the island. There are two "difficult" ways to get off that require a lot of action cards. Did you find any permanent event cards (those that point to a terrain card with a yellow chevron) with a little stairs icon? Those are usually events that will lead to something beyond the card you are on. You should have run into several of those on the starter island. Those are hard to succeed at sometimes, but they generally are a way to move from one area to another or activate some meaningful thing.

I would just share your experience in a Spoiler and those of us who have played can help you figure out where things went wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to rub it in, but the first island is really intended to be a bit of a tutorial. The encounters are generally easy here, there isn't really anywhere to wander to and get lost, and you get a small taste of most of the major game elements. If you are having so much trouble that you are disappointed with the game, it is likely you will not like the rest of the game once you get to the main island.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Not to rub it in, but the first island is really intended to be a bit of a tutorial. The encounters are generally easy here, there isn't really anywhere to wander to and get lost, and you get a small taste of most of the major game elements. If you are having so much trouble that you are disappointed with the game, it is likely you will not like the rest of the game once you get to the main island.


Perhaps this is right, but if there is a simple rules misunderstanding, I could see how you could incorrectly sour to a game because you thought it was broken or poorly laid out of whatever. Hopefully the OP can share some details, we can set them straight and they'll be able to pick up where they left off and make some progress.

One thing I noticed playing with my family after playing VG solo is that they didn't really feel the urge to check everything. They got burned by a few negative encounters (got injured or something similar) and then were reluctant to take actions on the terrain tiles. In my solo run, I literally checked everything on every card (sometimes to my detriment), so it seemed easier for me to solve the puzzles as I had all the information and never feared having to double back to see if I'd missed something.

The other thing that isn't necessarily immediately clear is that if an action is available to take on a terrain card, you can take it. So if you look at something and have an encounter that is discarded, you can try that thing again. As I said above, my family was generally not interested in trying again for fear that the same sort of bad thing was going to happen so I kind of had to twist their arms to go retry a few areas to find important information.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be disappointed. It took me 3 attempts to get off the island at first. The game has a learning curve. It's an experience, adventure that you have to try and survive... That's the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you have not exhausted all the possibilities. I think there are at least 4 ways to get off the island, none of which require the card you're alluding to, although it makes 3 of them much easier.

If you have the rules right, then it's a matter of patience, observation, and trying every available action.

You can totally realize that the game is not what you're looking for and that you don't like to grind through it, that's fine. But here it would appear that you're missing several things.

As others have mentioned though, we would need a detailed list of what you did to give you clues to what you've missed, but did you:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
- Take the actions that you look or explore on cliffs?
- Examine a body?
- Examine the bamboos?
- Cross a platform made of sharp rocks?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
... - Examine a body?...



... multiple times, if necessary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Karasek
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First we definitely forgot about the hidden numbers thing.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
After searching everything (at least I was certain we had) we ended up on the card with the submarine and tried to explore north. Maybe I interpreted this card wrong, I read it as if you didn't have a craft then all you got was card 102, but maybe you get 102 and the other reward. At this point we had been playing for a while and couldn't think of anywhere else to go.


I think we must have missed something else judging by the comments, I will have to give it another try and hopefully find something we missed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
nickk88 wrote:
First we definitely forgot about the hidden numbers thing.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
After searching everything (at least I was certain we had) we ended up on the card with the submarine and tried to explore north. Maybe I interpreted this card wrong, I read it as if you didn't have a craft then all you got was card 102, but maybe you get 102 and the other reward. At this point we had been playing for a while and couldn't think of anywhere else to go.


I think we must have missed something else judging by the comments, I will have to give it another try and hopefully find something we missed.


I presume you're talking about
Spoiler (click to reveal)
card 164?


If yes, here's how that card works:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You can take a swim/sail action here which needs 7 energy and 11 successes.
If you succeed: if you didn't use a card with the keyword "craft" (which would be the raft at this point in the game), each character has to take a 102 card (I believe that's freezing). After this, you return all cards from the board and the past into the adventure deck. You then pick the card 043 or 043 + x (if you used the raft with x being the number on the rafts flag) and put the adventurers on it.

If you fail, all characters get tired, you return all the cards from the board and the past into the adventure deck, put a 009 card in play and put the adventurers on it.


So yes, you apply all the parts of the success box that you are eligible for and not being eligible for one part doesn't mean the others don't get applied.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you are thinking you can leave the island from the south-west spot only by using the raft. You CAN leave the island without the raft. The icon in a blue banner does not mean you have to use an item that has the same icon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.