Doug Smith
United States
North East
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I absolutely love the pulse system. I am also enjoying the wide range of event outcomes, but am not always sure that I am using them correctly.

The Germans took Poland, Denmark, and Norway in Sep/Oct '39. Weather roll for Nov/Dec '39 was a 1, resulting in fair weather in Europe. So why not go after France right away? The German attack into France is repulsed by stiff counter attacks by France and Britain, but Belgium is lost. Weather is snowy in Jan/Feb '40, but the battle for France requires Britain to use their airforce. Axis Event VJ-40-9 is drawn, the die roll is a 5, and the Brits do not have enough air or tank units to stop the Chinese from signing a separate peace with Japan. Then UN Event WC-40-7 is drawn. It says, "China lobby exercises unprecedented influence in Congress. If Japan controls any hex in China adjacent to Chungking and the USA is neutral against Japan . . . the USA declares war on Japan a thte start of the next turn."

It is my first game, and I can appreciate that Axis Event VJ-40-9 requires the British to hold back on using their airforce until they see that event pulled. The UN Event occurs only 67% of the time with the required die roll, and feels like a nice balancing mechanism if Japan is too successful in attacking China. It makes sense that the US would come to assist their silent ally. Is the intent the same in the instance that China has actually turned their back on the US because they did not get their requested Lend Lease?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nisroc wrote:
It makes sense that the US would come to assist their silent ally.

The way I read this series of events, in the wider context that you provided, and in the context of what a Chinese separate peace is (rule 43.7), I would interpret it all to mean that Japan now "controls" China, and thus "controls" all the hexes adjacent to Chungking -- which would indeed lead to an early USA declaration of war on Japan. (With the deleterious but relatively minor consequences that come from such a move: 53.2.4.)

Sounds like an interesting series of events! Feel free to post some shots of the game in play. Japan needs to build on this success immediately in the Far East before the US can turn the tide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug,

Another thing I would add is to note the US production facilities -- they build and build over time. The US, of course, does not get to enter the war in 1940 with nearly the industrial capacity you'd expect. It will be a while before the US can keep up -- early US entry is definitely a mixed bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.