Hide
9 Posts

Dead Man's Draw» Forums » General

Subject: It's good but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flavio Sousa
msg tools
I finally tried Dead Man's Draw and I enjoyed it but it's not flawless.

The artwork is absolutely gorgeous, no flaws there.

The theme is great, everybody loves pirates and plundering.

I also loved the risk and reward mechanic and the simplicity of the game, it is perfect for veterans and beginners alike. And for larger groups, you can easily add a second deck of cards. Brilliant!

Here's the problem: the game is too risky and not rewarding enough. Everybody loves to draw cards but you can barely do that because the odds of busting (i.e. drawing 2 identical cards) are too high. This is extremely frustrating.

Here's my tip for a future version: water cards, lots and lots of water cards - i.e. neutral cards that have no effect whatsoever and will not bust your hand. Yes, I know this will slow down the game a bit but it will make things more suspenseful and enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense, but I'm not seeing how that adds anything good to the game, at all. Water wouldn't change the chance that the next 'real' card is a useful one or a bust, it would just add a time-waster until you see the next 'real' card. And there's no reason to stop after you drew a water, or you would/should have just stopped before you drew it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, I could not be disagree more. I don't like the artwork and the pirate setting is mediocre at best to me. I find the game very tense the way it is and most definitely do not want more cards or any form of neutral cards. There are ten different suits and there are ways to mitigate the risk through the choices you make. Getting greedy is more often than not the certain way to lose it all. And that is the perfect balance for a push your luck game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Randi
Italy
Lecco
Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding neutral cards with no power at all would just slow down the game and drawing water after water would annoy you really fast. I play this game because I love to push my luck and chain card combos, but it cannot always end well (especially trying to get key+chest everytime), so having fast turns make busting less painfull.

If you want to play a game with pirate theme and push your luck mechanic, but with more "neutral cards", you can try Port Royal, but I'm not sure you'll find it more rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Sousa
msg tools
zenpunk wrote:
No offense, but I'm not seeing how that adds anything good to the game, at all. Water wouldn't change the chance that the next 'real' card is a useful one or a bust, it would just add a time-waster until you see the next 'real' card. And there's no reason to stop after you drew a water, or you would/should have just stopped before you drew it.

I beg to differ.

Neutral cards mean more drawing action and drawing cards is always fun. As it is, you can barely draw any cards because the odds of busting are too high. In fact, the logical way to play it is to draw one card at a time - not very exciting, is it?

Moreover these neutral cards would add an element of surprise whenever you draw an action card. Yes, this would slow things down a bit but those extra 3 seconds won't make a huge difference.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Dead Man's Draw very much, I just think it's one step away from greatness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Sousa
msg tools
_Randi_ wrote:
[...] If you want to play a game with pirate theme and push your luck mechanic, but with more "neutral cards", you can try Port Royal, but I'm not sure you'll find it more rewarding.

I have played Port Royal, it's a great game but Dead Man's Draw is much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Sousa
msg tools
zenpunk wrote:
No offense, but I'm not seeing how that adds anything good to the game, at all. [...]

Water cards wouldn't be completely 'useless'. If you draw a map card, you have to take 3 cards from the discard pile; well, water cards could make a difference here, e.g. 3 water cards are bad luck and you don't win anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we just have a different idea of what 'fun' is. To me, simply drawing a filler card that doesn't do anything and doesn't create any decisions ain't it.

But you're right, the only time where the water cards actually affect the game is with the map, where all it does is cause you to go bust more often, which, again, isn't my idea of adding fun (and the opposite of what you were trying to do in the first place, no?)

I wouldn't touch this house-rule with a 10-foot pole, but if it sounds good to you, then my all means try it out.. you don't have to wait for them to add it to the next reprint (spoiler alert: they won't). Buy another copy, and mark a bunch of cards as water, and add them to your game. Have fun and game on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Holder
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
These dark eyes are from playing so late at BGG Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is perfect! Its just like playing poker but it has art to look at and an actual theme to enjoy. Dead Man's Draw doesn't need filler cards, you just need more luck on your side and maybe a strategy. Like... If you are falling behind, be happy with taking just 4 cards, you don't have the luxury of pressing your luck. Set your threshold and try to stick to it... unless you can't curb that 'las vegas, I'm feeling lucky' feeling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.