Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to read the rules, play a few practice rounds, and teach the game so we could play our first game of Lemuria. Here's a quick rundown. AGAIN - this is after just one play, so take that into consideration.

Lemuria is a resource gathering game where you use the central wheel and resource tokens (which function much like workers) to gather resources, which you spend to build buildings. There's a little area control, a little majority set collection, and a tight economy. Overall, a fun game if you like tight economy games.

The central mechanism is a wheel of resources onto which you place your tokens. When the areas are full they can be harvested, and the person doing the harvesting gets a bit more than the others, but everyone in the area gets benefits. The sticky point is that you can either place some or all of your tokens or you can pick up some or all of your tokens, not both.

- The theme is fun, but VERY light -- I didn't feel like I was manipulating time or anything like that.

- There are a lot of things to keep track of. The fun of the game comes from balancing the different inputs and outputs so you have enough resources when you need them.

- It's easy to get stuck without something to do. In the three player game we had, all of us had at least one turn where we couldn't do anything other than "sow" or "harvest" our tokens, and none of us were able to do anything on the last round because of poor planning.

- It feels like T'Zolkin-light, although it isn't significantly lighter. If you like T'Zolkin you'll probably like this game as well.

- The components are nice and the box is compact. It's definitely in the category of "small box, big game." Our first play took about 2.5 hours, but I think the box estimate of 100 minutes is probably accurate for people who've played a couple times.

Overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit and will certainly seek to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.