Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. CTP has assured us that this is totally in boardgamers' best interests. Now jackasses who got mad when their nine dollar copy of seven wonders was a counterfeit won't have to go through the hassle of returning it.

They're just looking out for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this helps with the massive amount of scams and counterfeit games that have been flooding onto Amazon as of late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crampton
United States
La Plata
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One overlooked reason for Amazon to do this is to combat the multitude of counterfeit copies of games that people on these very boards have been complaining of. This is one way that Amazon can shut down this practice and push it back over to where it started- eBay...

Amazon's reputation has been trashed lately on these boards as well as Facebook over damaged packages and knockoffs. I don't see this as a big of a deal as some might as I can see logical and realistic reasons for doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Don't worry. CTP has assured us that this is totally in boardgamers' best interests. Now jackasses who got mad when their nine dollar copy of seven wonders was a counterfeit won't have to go through the hassle of returning it.

They're just looking out for us.

Amazon has over the last several years itself allowed sellers based in foreign countries to flood the AZ site with counterfeit items and then Amazon has then gated those items and categories thus blocking all US based sellers as well.

Amazon created this problem with a lack of oversight in how they handled the influx of sellers, especially those based in China.

You all may rejoice that this in the interest of stopping counterfeiting, but the problem was in part created by Amazon's in competence and one of the victims of the changes will be small sellers on Amazon as well as the things I already mentioned. OOP games have within the last 24 hours disappeared from Amazon and now no copies are available for sale. Prices on multiple Asmodee games have gone up in just in the last 24 hours as all these 3rd party sellers have been removed from the site.

This is what's called throwing the baby out with the bath water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Writing a program to weed out scammers and actually giving a shit about your inventory might weed out scams and counterfeits too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcrampton wrote:
One overlooked reason for Amazon to do this is to combat the multitude of counterfeit copies of games that people on these very boards have been complaining of. This is one way that Amazon can shut down this practice and push it back over to where it started- eBay...

Amazon's reputation has been trashed lately on these boards as well as Facebook over damaged packages and knockoffs. I don't see this as a big of a deal as some might as I can see logical and realistic reasons for doing this.

Except Amazon itself created the problem through its own incompetence in welcoming the counterfeit sellers. This isn't my opinion, it's fact.

I've been selling on the site for 17 years and Chinese sellers are flooding the site in multiple product categories. These are new sellers. Amazon is then coming up with new policies that throw out both these new sellers and the sellers who've been there for a decade or more who haven't done a single thing to warrant the restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
I work at a company that sells things on Amazon (not games). One of the brands we carry went through a similar thing lately.

All we had to do was provide Amazon with a proof of purchase from the company themselves to show that we are actually purchasing legitimate product. Someone checked it over, authorized us, and everything was back to normal. It wasn't a case by case basis, just a broad authorization showing that we were allowed to sell those products.

I'd guess it will work the same way with Asmodee going forward. If someone legitimate wants to sell Asmodee products on amazon, they'll have to provide xxxxxxx, and then will be authorized for all of them going forward (and thus, retroactively). The OOP game market will be fine, assuming the places selling those games are authorized stores.

Seems reasonable enough to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
I work at a company that sells things on Amazon (not games). One of the brands we carry went through a similar thing lately.

All we had to do was provide Amazon with a proof of purchase from the company themselves to show that we are actually purchasing legitimate product. Someone checked it over, authorized us, and everything was back to normal. It wasn't a case by case basis, just a broad authorization showing that we were allowed to sell those products.

I'd guess it will work the same way with Asmodee going forward. If someone legitimate wants to sell Asmodee products on amazon, they'll have to provide xxxxxxx, and then will be authorized for all of them going forward (and thus, retroactively). The OOP game market will be fine, assuming the places selling those games are authorized stores.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Please look up first sale doctrine. Demanding this authorization is legal, but it circumvents it. I'm objecting to the tone of your remarks as if someone who isn't authorized is somehow doing something wrong by reselling a game. They're not. It's someone's legal right to do so. No one has a legal right to sell on Amazon, I know, but again, I'm reacting to what seems to be inferred by your comments.

Asmodee has put huge restrictions on being licensed to sell their products. It's been discussed extensively here on BGG. It is nowhere near as simple and tidy as you suggest. Without exaggeration I would say that 90% of the 3rd party sellers who had Asmodee games for sale last week will not be able to ever get permission to sell.

If you don't think US based sellers won't be harmed by this then you don't understand the 3rd party sellers on Amazon. Prices have and will go up as a result of this change. That's an outright fact. I've looked at a dozen games already and can clearly see that prices went up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcrampton wrote:
I don't see this as a big of a deal as some might as I can see logical and realistic reasons for doing this.

You can put forward logical/realistic reasons for doing pretty much anything. Doesn't mean that they're the actual reasons, or the only ones.

There are much better ways to accomplish all your goals that don't involve Asmodee consolidating power along their distribution chain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Amazon has just gated apparently all games published by subsidiaries of Asmodee. Gating means that the Amazon will only allow authorized companies or individuals to sell these games.

where are you getting your info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!

More price fixing by Assmodee!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Yay!

Was that misspelling intentional...? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Yay!

But of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Yay!

Butt of course.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I am glad I got into the hobby when I did.

There are still good game companies out there, but I really don't need to buy another game again... Ever...

The only reason I will is because I really want that game. I would hate being new to the hobby and trying to build a moderate collection with the consolidation that has taken place. Still totally doable, but much less advantageous and harder on the wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Amazon and Asmodee sitting in a tree
Winding up the haters on BGG
First comes hatred, then calls for death
Then comes the day when they’re wasting their breath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon isn't the only outlet here. We have ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Amazon isn't the only outlet here. We have ebay.

for now

Microsoft pulled some similar stuff years ago with ebay sellers reselling legit copies of Windows (like I was), but they were very specific on what was included in the sale or it was no go.

Like certain manuals, discs, etc...

Stuff a legit copy would have, but also stuff a legit licensee might not keep from the beginning. So if you upgraded to a new machine (not upgraded the software -- upgrades assume retained ownership of the previous version of course) and had an old unneeded copy of XP or 7 lying around (still in demand then) they blocked the sales and auctions were removed.

So while the whole software distribution scheme has changed and the specifics of the example above are no longer relevant, it is still an example of how a company can have ebay put the halt on reselling their product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Yay!

If by "price fixing", you mean "weeding out the supply of counterfeit games on Amazon", I guess it's price fixing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
Yay!

If by "price fixing", you mean "weeding out the supply of counterfeit games on Amazon", I guess it's price fixing.

No. I mean "limiting sales by only authorized vendors who will agree to price floors established by Assmodee."

You know, price fixing.

The apparent weeding out the small problem of a few counterfeits is a side benefit.

Not really hard to understand shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
When a big company gets too big, and becomes bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the plus side= free Prime 2 day Shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian the Inexorable
United States
flag msg tools
Honest curiosity...do most people buy games on Amazon?

I always check because of Prime but generally find them substantially cheaper from other vendors.

-Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really surprised.

I'm not sure when it started (this year?), but Amazon has also gated Nerf and Lego brands as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.