Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What do people think about the balance between the different blight cards?

Some of them I am almost happy to see (3 blight/player, remove 1 presence and 1 town per board), and the others are manageable, but one in particular has guaranteed a loss shortly thereafter every time: each spirit immediately loses 3 presence. The upside (5 blight/player) is irrelevant, because many spirits cannot recover from this.

Downward Spiral (5 blight/player, each turn each spirit loses 1 presence) is strictly better for 3 rounds or fewer, and I’d still rather lose 4 presence in 4 turns over 3 immediately - especially as by the time the blight card is flipped, there aren’t that many turns left in the game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your premise that the blight cards are not all of equal difficulty, but there is so much variance in the game that I don't see it as being especially out of place.

Some Fear cards have a huge effect and others a very minor one.

Sometimes you draw a perfect power for your spirit and other times you draw four bad matches. (I still remember the game where I was playing Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves and drew Tigers Hunting on turn 3, which is basically the best card in he game for that Spirit. The Invaders had no chance that game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
mb
It all depends. I just played a game that perfectly illustrates that point.

It was Serpent, BoDaN, and Keeper against Level 4 England, and we flipped Tipping Point on the fourth turn. It sucked. It sucked majorly. Bodan and Keeper each had 4 presence at the time and were very nearly wiped off the map entirely. Keeper had been planning on using its 'deal damage based on sacred sites' power, and that was of course completely busted. But the game ended with only two blight on the blight card, so I can't be certain that we would have won with a lower blight card. And in this particular case, Tipping Point proved to have a major advantage over Downward Spiral.

We won the game three turns later, which means that the same amount of presence would have been destroyed by both cards. The difference is that this game involved Serpent. With Downward Spiral Serpent would have lost its third presence during the Invader Phase of the last turn, which would have locked a presence on its Spirit Panel for an extra turn, and that would have prevented it from maxing out Serpent Rouses in Anger.

Now, Serpent is unique in sometimes wanting to lose presence. And I can't honestly say that the difference won us the game, as Bodan proceeded to earn at least 2 fear cards beyond what we needed to win the game, and Serpent Rouses in Anger only added one fear card to our stack. And you can never know what might have been.

But still, I think it's rather interesting. Victory or defeat can hinge on the tiniest things in this game, and every blight card has the potential to be the one you wish you drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, with basic game only its pretty silly because there is just 2 blight cards, but with expansions things definitely get more interesting.

Overall i simply agree with both posts above, and sometimes you could push your luck like "let the blight come, we might get an awesome blight card" or "lets not risk it, keep the blight to a minimum because if the card flips we might get destroyed". I find the blight card to be a fun addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.