Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Magic Maze» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo variant with 3-player tiles instead of the 1-player action pile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre S
msg tools
If you find the action tiles pile annoying to go through and shuffle, here is a variant that will hurt your arm less and offer more strategic choices.

The setup of the mall tiles is identical to the multiplayer version. As for the action tiles take those for 3-player games and place them in the order you want next to each other in a row, with their North arrow pointing in the same direction as the arrow on the starting tile. Place the “Do Something” (red) pawn above the first one.

Example at the start:

Once you flip the sand timer, the game begins. The only allowed actions are below the red pawn.

At any time you can move the red pawn one tile to the right with any hand but to do so you must either have performed one of the actions allowed by the current action tile, or instead have waited 2 seconds (count in your head “one mississippi two mississippi”). The next action tile after the rightmost tile is the leftmost tile so that is loops back.

Example after having waited 2 seconds because you couldn't or didn't want to do one of the actions of the first action tile, you move the red pawn to the next tile:

Whenever you flip the sand timer, you must rotate each of the action tiles 90 degrees clockwise. For example after the first flip, going north becomes going east.

Example after the first sand timer flip:

The special action of the green pawn, which still happens right when you place a mall tile in front of it, is that you can move your green pawn anywhere on a tile on which another pawn is.
Green pawns are sneaky, everyone knows this ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow I need to get my pre order to see how that plays but sounds confusing to an already chaotic game. I hope its doable cause I'll be playing solo half the time. I would love for someone to make an App for solo play. I know there's been talk of Timer Apps and that's cool but as long as sand timer is accurate I like that better although sound effects would be fun. But an App that should directions alternating for solo play would make this game accessible to so many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre S
msg tools
Sorry it sounded confusing >< I just added photo examples to make it clearer.
I'm all for board game apps when they enhance the gaming experience, but in this variant I don't see the point. Moving the red pawn is good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Any reason why you propose to play this with 3 tiles, and not 2 or 4?

I myself play the solo variant with the 4 player tiles, but I'd like to give a go to your way of doing things with the red pawn. Looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pictures definitely help, thanks. Im waiting for my game to arrive .so I dont have components to follow your instructions. I'll probably play your version first when it arrives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre S
msg tools
Everyone I know having tried the physically exhausting official solo mode didn't enjoy it.
I'm glad Julien you thought of something similar it means we're on to something, and Jonathan if you bought Magic Maze for the incredible multiplayer feeling, this unofficial variant tries to capture it better than the official so I'm sure you'll like it ^^

I started playing this solo version with 4-player tiles because to most people 4 players is the best configuration.
But when you only had one pawn to move, it was way too slow and frustrating so I tried with 3-player tiles.
Not only did it fix it, but the North+East action tile became very interesting. Don't read the rest if you want to figure out why on your own:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Exploring north and east with most common explore colors like orange (initially south on tile 1b) and green is very efficient! And when the tiles rotate, adapting to the rotation is key in 8+ scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out I will not get my copy until my other preorders are in stock I don't want to pay shipping on 3 games cause the savings is negative. By end of year worst case. At least by then there will be awesome variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.