Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some of the Data Ports contain what appears to be a Clank! icon (like on the Sonic Grenade). However, as far as I can see, the rule book never explains what the Clank! icon does in these circumstances. There’s no +/- in association with the Clank! icon on the Data Ports.

My instinct is that the Data Ports cause the player activating them to gain Clank!, the amount equal to the displayed icons. The general consensus of the group though was that these icons should be beneficial, like the rest of the Data Port icons, which offer Credit or Health.

Our group decided that these Data Ports worked like the Sonic Grenade and add the displayed amount of Clank! to all the other players.

Is this in the rule book somewhere that I missed? If not, does anyone know what the actual ruling is on how these Clank! icons are supposed to work? Did we do the right thing or was my initial impulse correct in that some of the Data Ports are intended to have a negative impact on the activating player and cause them to gain Clank!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread Question about a symbol on the board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:

Thanks!

I looked in the Rules section for a thread, but didn’t think to look in the General section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the rule book. The rules say that when a player hacks a data port they get the reward or penalty shown. There is nothing saying the reward or penalty affects any player but the one doing the hacking. Credits and hearts are obviously rewards. Clank is the penalty. Not all hacks are immediately beneficial. Players need to perform two hacks to advance in the game. Each data port may be used only once per game. It may be a race to get to any specific data port. Some data ports punish players for missing out on the ones with the good stuff. But sometimes deliberately taking an extra clank or two has a better payoff (Entertainer).

The golden rule of the Clank! series thus far is this: Any Clank! symbol (or group of symbols) means "Add Clank!"
Only a modifier such as a "minus sign" changes that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:

The golden rule of the Clank! series thus far is this: Any Clank! symbol (or group of symbols) means "Add Clank!"
Only a modifier such as a "minus sign" changes that.

Right, the confusion is about the target of the penalty. The only time the clank symbol is referenced in the rule book is under Major Secrets - Sonic Grenade whereupon that symbol means "your opponents immediately make clank".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.