badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unearth
Designed by Jason Harner & Matthew Ransom
Produced by Brotherwise Games
2-4 players, ages 8+
Takes about 45-60 minutes to play

Components

The cards and dice are average quality. The tokens are standard thickness so nothing really exciting there. What really makes this game come alive is the fantastic art by Jesse Riggle. I can't really put my finger on why I like it so much but I find it quite appealing to the eye. Maybe it is the blocky look to everything and the color selections are spot on. I was a little put off by the dark purple and the light purple ruins at first because I thought they were part of the same sets, but after playing a few times I have adjusted. This game looks really nice on your table.

Theme

Players are lost tribes trying to dig out wonders and ruins to remember their past and where they came from. I can see the theme coming through in the game somewhat with the collecting of stones, uncovering ruins, and finding wonders in the game play. I wouldn't call this game "thematic", but I definitely get the feel the game wanted.

Gameplay

Players are trying to score the most points by uncovering ruins and building wonders by rolling dice. There are "delver" cards that let you manipulate dice (yours and others). A turn is very simple:

1. Play one or more delver cards. This is optional.

2. Pick one ruin card from the ones in the display and roll one of your dice. A 1-3 gets you a stone token off the card or from the bag. And then place that die on the ruin card. Stones are placed in the player's tableau. Collect enough stones and you can build a wonder.

3. Determine if the value of all dice on a ruin card tie or beat the number listed in the upper left. If yes, the player with the highest single die gets the ruin card.

Players score for sets of ruin cards and wonders they have built. Most points wins.

What do I think?

I think this is a very clever game. Everything works seamlessly together and the game flows very well. I think the stone collection mechanism is interesting because rolling low is not necessarily a bad thing. The way delver cards are earned makes for some interesting decisions as a player may just throw a die on a card knowing they will not win it just to get a delver card. The really brilliant thing is how players have to select the ruin card they are rolling on BEFORE they roll (some delver cards let you break this rule). This adds a layer of strategy that should appeal to more hard core gamers. I would say this falls into the "family" games realm, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring this out at a game meetup (actually I have).

Summary

I recommend this game to families and gamers alike. The art is great and the game play is simple yet strategic. I give it 7.5/10 stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I forgot to mention about this game is the insert. The insert actually still works when all the cards are sleeved! I wish all game manufacturers would do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.