Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players feel that, all other things being equal, games that have players draw cards at the end of their turn are superior to games that have players draw cards at the start of their turn. One of the most stated reasons I've heard for this preference is that drawing at the end of one's turn gives the player more time to think about their strategy and their next play before their next turn comes along.

So, why does Bemused require players draw at the start of their turn?

Drawing at the start of the turn was a conscious design choice to subtly increase players' anxiety. Because the game is about artists succumbing to their doubts and dreads, I hoped to help players more viscerally experience that theme by forcing them to react quickly to new circumstances and, hopefully, use the immediacy of their post-draw action to marginally heighten their feelings the elation (disappointment) at drawing (failing to draw) a needed card. I hoped that that little bit of feeling rushed, of not being quite so prepared to make the best play, would instill in the players enough niggling self-doubt to help them empathize with their virtuoso within the story of the game.

Just a little insight into a design choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.