Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing I'm not clear on . . . If a pass is thrown to an empty square and is on target, does an offensive player have to make a sport check to catch it?

Oops, make that two things . . . The rules for Pro and All Pro state that player #51 is added back to the roster. But I couldn't find anything that states specifically that #51 is the player left out when playing 7 on 7. Do you always leave #51 out for 7 on 7, or is it your choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, an on-target pass to an open space still requires a sport check to catch.

2) #51 is always the odd player out for 7-v-7. Helpful as #51 is also the only player common across all teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Brett, you're correct that any mention of how to setup your team for a 7-vs-7 game is missing from the rulebook.(EDIT: As I was reminded below, the 7-vs-7 setup IS mentioned on page 14). Though I guess that the only thing that needs to be said is to remove #51. But as you've already discovered, it's implied on page 20, given that #51 is specifically added for Pro and All Pro modes.

I like to consider this rulebook a "wholistic" rulebook, for you really need to read the entire book in order for all the bits of it to fit together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Brett, you're correct that any mention of how to setup your team for a 7-vs-7 game is missing from the rulebook. Though I guess that the only thing that needs to be said is to remove #51. But as you've already discovered, it's implied on page 20, given that #51 is specifically added for Pro and All Pro modes.

I like to consider this rulebook a "wholistic" rulebook, for you really need to read the entire book in order for all the bits of it to fit together!

See "Techno" on page 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Brett, you're correct that any mention of how to setup your team for a 7-vs-7 game is missing from the rulebook. Though I guess that the only thing that needs to be said is to remove #51. But as you've already discovered, it's implied on page 20, given that #51 is specifically added for Pro and All Pro modes.

See "Techno" on page 14.

Ah, YES, indeed! I've read that in the past, but overlooked it while replying to this post.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
flag msg tools
If the sport check fails on the pass to an open square, does that mean the pass is now incomplete or does it scatter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
y2chae wrote:
If the sport check fails on the pass to an open square, does that mean the pass is now incomplete or does it scatter?

The ball will scatter, pg9 from the rules: "A failure on a Sport Check causes the turn of the player that attempted it to end immediately and the ball to be scattered".

From this sports check it will always scatter, but if the initial pass fails you can use the Pro Passer Option (pg 22) which can cause balls to fall incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
y2chae wrote:

Performing a pass to an open square requires a skill check.
Trying to catch the pass after moving there will require a sport check.

A failure on either will cause the ball to scatter, but the skill check is that only one that can produce a free activation or half move due to a success [full or partial] or failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
voodooink wrote:
y2chae wrote:

Performing a pass to an open square requires a skill check.
Trying to catch the pass after moving there will require a sport check.

A failure on either will cause the ball to scatter, but the skill check is that only one that can produce a free activation or half move due to a success [full or partial] or failure.

This is much more clear than I made it, ha ha, thanks Brent! I assumed he had already thrown the ball with a skill check and someone had moved into the square to catch with a sport check, but this explains the whole sequence much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Roth
Canada
Montréal
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
Another question about a receiver sport check here : if the pass is missed but is "recovered" (either scatter 0 or scatter 2-4 and finishing on the initial intended player), a sport check is still required, right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yolda wrote:
Another question about a receiver sport check here : if the pass is missed but is "recovered" (either scatter 0 or scatter 2-4 and finishing on the initial intended player), a sport check is still required, right ?

On a zero scatter result, the ball didn't actually go anywhere so no sport check is required. The receiver bobbled the ball but ended up making a dramatic catch in the end.

A scattered ball may not end on the same space that it started in unless there is nowhere else for it to go, and that will be very rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.