Subject: Multiple games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm just beginning this and am only about 3 hours in.

A friend and I are playing it so far, but I'm aware that I'm going to want to play solo pretty soon.

Whats the best way to do this? Is there a way for the save function to hold multiple games, even if I'm taking video of all the card status's?

Is it possible for me to play a different curse as a solo game and not spoil anything for the Voracious Goddess? Or do they overlap?

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a second copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is discussed at length in several threads (e.g. #1829955). In short: it's not feasible, and not possible without a tremendous amount of error-prone bookkeeping (keep in mind that misplacing/mis-recording a card can leave the game in an unwinnable state).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Yeah, I had been wondering if the only way was to buy again! please noooooo

I wonder if an Ipad version will ever be released for this...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play several campaigns parallel and just write down the state of the game (the cards in the save piles). Doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes. Same goes for "loading" an old campaign again. There are some sheets in the file section made for that.
You need to know the game a bit. For some cards it's not enough to write down the card numbers only (like the 050 cards). You need to write down the card names (or their Axxxx numbers).
Anyway, for me it works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
I play several campaigns parallel and just write down the state of the game (the cards in the save piles).

You also need to record all banished cards, as those will be different between the 2 campaigns.
Lines42 wrote:

Doesn't take much longer than 10 minutes. Same goes for "loading" an old campaign again. There are some sheets in the file section made for that.
You need to know the game a bit. For some cards it's not enough to write down the card numbers only (like the 050 cards). You need to write down the card names (or their Axxxx numbers).
Anyway, for me it works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xen2134 wrote:
Whats the best way to do this? Is there a way for the save function to hold multiple games, even if I'm taking video of all the card status's?

As stated, you need to record the IDs of all cards in your saved and banished piles. Very time consuming. Some people do that (there are resources in the downloads) but personally I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Xen2134 wrote:
Is it possible for me to play a different curse as a solo game and not spoil anything for the Voracious Goddess? Or do they overlap?

This wasn't answered yet, I think. All curses overlap to an extent, since they're all set in the same continent. It's not really a spoiler but if you play another curse before finishing VG, you might end up seeing places that you need for VG later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand you want to play solo as well while not depriving your friend of any of the experiences, but keep in mind that you could always continue part of the game without them and add them in again latter. Dropping and adding players to a game is provided for in the rules.

As I said, not exactly what you want, but it is another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:

As stated, you need to record the IDs of all cards in your saved and banished piles. Very time consuming. Some people do that (there are resources in the downloads) but personally I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Can you lay out the cards and take a photo? Or does it get out of hand in a long game.

Which each card had a barcode you could scan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally possible, I do it now and have 2 games going. I created a save record just for this and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Solo Save: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151994/7th-continent-camp...

2p Save: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151955/7th-continent-camp...

Also @trulog created an alternate solo save sheet. He uses a different approach that I'm calling Cards First (e.g. he accounts for all the cards and where they were in the game) where as mine is more of a Category First (e.g. I sort the cards based on where they are - Inventory, Hand, Discard, etc.)

I will say for both, that if the game has progressed several hours, it takes 10-15 mins to save it and pack it away and then another 10-15 mins to recreate the game where you left off later... but I can live with that to be able to play solo in between co-op sessions.

Here is @trulog's file: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/152047/7th-continent-solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vascariz wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

Can you lay out the cards and take a photo? Or does it get out of hand in a long game.

Which each card had a barcode you could scan!

This is one of my game saves. You need to write down the IDs of all those cards, as well as the banished cards. I imagine photos would be unfeasible unless you have a very hi-res camera.

I should note that I consider it necessary to write down the IDs of each card to completely restore a save. Zachary's file for example cuts the time by only writing down the number of cards in the action deck and discard. I don't consider that good enough because a game can change quite a lot based on what's in the action deck versus the discard, in fact part of the game is manipulating the action deck to stack it with good cards and keeping the curses in the discard, so if you mix those cards when restoring a save it can change the game quite a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:

I should note that I consider it necessary to write down the IDs of each card to completely restore a save. Zachary's file for example cuts the time by only writing down the number of cards in the action deck and discard. I don't consider that good enough because a game can change quite a lot based on what's in the action deck versus the discard, in fact part of the game is manipulating the action deck to stack it with good cards and keeping the curses in the discard, so if you mix those cards when restoring a save it can change the game quite a lot.

That is a totally fair position to take. For me, I don't think it makes a huge difference to know exactly which cards are in the Action Deck or what order they are in... and here is why.

1. You are constantly shuffling the Action Deck, so whatever order they are in at the end of the session won't mean anything as soon as you eat anything or use a special green card ability that allows you to shuffle cards back into the Action Deck.

2. The number of curses is preserved with my file. I agree that manipulating where the curses are is important, so I indicate how many of each type of card is in each deck (Skills, Advanced Skills, Curses).

3. If you are packing up the game, recording the whole session in order to play a different session with a different group, are you really going to remember or care about exactly which Skill was in the action deck and which one was in the discard? Yes, it could make a difference to how the game plays out, but I decided a little randomness was thematically OK with me considering the continent will reset each time you save.

4. I chose to only record the card number and not the ID in most cases because it's just faster. There is a "Details" field in many places to record an ID number or other information when you have a card number that is non-unique (e.g {350}).

Thanks for checking the file out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t note the Card IDs, but only the numbers (and if yellow).
For cards with multiple colors or the Exploration cards I add the card´s name.
For the Action and Discard pile I chose the one with the least amount of Cards and note these.
The other pile contains "the rest" (Cards not in player possession) + potetntial advanced abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

There are cases where that does not suffice, including at least one case on the "initial island" where a certain spot may (or may not) have to be searched multiple times to find the [REDACTED] which is needed in order to [REDACTED].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Lines42 wrote:

There are cases where that does not suffice, including at least one case on the "initial island" where a certain spot may (or may not) have to be searched multiple times to find the [REDACTED] which is needed in order to [REDACTED].

If you store the game the discarded Terrain cards are put back into the supply anyways.
If this is not intended the game usually tells you to banish the Card (you´re not supposed to draw a second time) from the game. So they end up in the banished pile, which of course I note and recreate when setting the game up again.

Anyways, I haven´t played through all curses and the full continent of course. But if you carefully recreate what you stored (including banished cards) it should do the trick. And did for me at least 4 or 5 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Lines42 wrote:

If you store the game the discarded Terrain cards are put back into the supply anyways.
If this is not intended the game usually tells you to banish the Card (you´re not supposed to draw a second time) from the game. So they end up in the banished pile, which of course I note and recreate when setting the game up again.

Anyways, I haven´t played through all curses and the full continent of course. But if you carefully recreate what you stored (including banished cards) it should do the trick. And did for me at least 4 or 5 times.

Yep, my file includes a large section for documenting Banished cards. There are slots for those that require an ID number or other details and slots for unique adventure cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.