Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Need help as overlord rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten BN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

First off, we only have 7 plays total, but the overlord seems to get his behind roasted badly each time. Its not even close.

One question:
1)Fatigue can be used by the players to move around right(say use 3 fatigue to move 3 spaces) and it doesnt have to be part of a move action?

If you have any tactics advice then I would love to hear them

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your specific question - yes, the heroes can spend fatigue to move during their turn. It does not have to be part of a move action.

As for broader tactics advice, each quest is different enough (especially once you get out of the Shadow Rune campaign) that you won't be able to use the same strategies every time. Be flexible.

But more than that, the most important thing for the overlord is to stay focused on the goal. Descent 2nd Edition is a race between two sides to see who can use their actions more efficiently to accomplish their objective first.

In most encounters, this means the overlord needs to play cheap - stall the heroes, make them spend their fatigue and actions, get them to worry and waste time - while you carry out your evil plan. If attacking the do-gooders doesn't get you closer to your goal, don't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a good subject so I hope to continue it (and perhaps learn new plays for Overlord myself as well).

If you only have the base game it is a little different, but I can still see a lot of ways to play Overlord which are probably all as good when performed in a right way.

But I can give you an advice that might help whatever situation you have. You should learn on the other team's play and see what kind of game they want to play. There are a lot of different Overlord cards to punish a certain kind of play.

You mention that the heroes can move using fatigue as movement so I know already some trap cards that you can play to punish that.

Also I can definitely give the same advice and say that keep your mind on the goal. Try to also keep in mind heros' goal and when you have the chance to try to anticipate the heroes next turn. And to keep in hand good Overlord cards to prevent that.

And I can say for a certainty that Overlord "cheats". First of all he plays during both players turns which makes it super efficient but because of the game mechanics make the hero players to plan all their moves in front of Overlord he gets to listen all this discussion. Since Overlord is just one player the other players don't get this advantage. So also try to make the most of these advantages that you have.

PS. Also some quests are clearly more difficult to the Overlord while others are clearly easier. When having a choise you should learn the quests in question and see if they benefit more the heroes or the Overlord.

For your campaign I can see that there might not be hope any more. This is because every quest that the heroes win they get more money and more XP so they will become even more powerful than they would otherwise be. Also when overlord loses he doesn't get as much XP and is a little weaker compared to if he would have won some quests on the way.
But I like challenge so I would certainly play it until the end anyway.

Remember that whoever wins the last quests wins the whole campaign. It doesn't matter if you lost 7 times before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a ton of these threads around the forum, so look around a but to find further advise.

A few things to keep in mind:

- Is the overlord using a plot deck? If not, get one. They are essential to game balance in my opinion.
- Is the overlord overemphasising large monsters? Goblin archers are among the best monster groups in the game, shadow dragons not so much. Small monster groups have way more attacks available to them. Don't be tempted to pick the big guys every time.
- Save your overlord cards for the second encounter. Use them while the do the most damage.
- Focus fire the weakest hero. Don't spread your attack, focus fire on the mages and the healers. Don't leave them alive with 2 hp as they will hit you just as hard. Kill them.
- Block small corridors with your monsters. This is the one thing that large monsters are good at. Blocking things.
- Plan for the long game. Once act II begins your monsters get a huge boost. Make sure you have good cards available to combo with that. Also, read quests in advance. Read how the normal quests influence the finale. Your ultimate goal is to win the finale. Prepare for that as soon as possible.
- Always trim your deck to 15 cards. Think about which cards to remove in advance. Don't think it's better to keep all cards to keep your options open. Trim down to 15 cards.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
A few more things to keep in mind;

- monster groups are very strong when able to attack. If a quest allows re-enforcement, try to limit losses during a turn to the number of units being re-enforced to keep your fielded monsters as strong as possible until they can all attack.

- positioning is important, remember that attack range for heroes is stamina + movement + range (3 for ranged heroes, 1 for melee). Keep monsters outside this range whenever possible, unless you are committing to multiple knockouts or a potentially encounter winning turn.

- remember that heroes are undead monsters! Killing a hero often results in only a SINGLE LOST ACTION, spending an entire turn and over committing to a kill will only see the hero revived, followed by the wholesale slaughter of your minions. Don't commit unless you have a plan to take advantage of the KO, or can block the heroes from getting to their companion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.