Subject: Shuffling/randomising contract tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, shuffling the 38 regular contract tiles, at least in a way that ensures proper randomness, seems to be beyond us. You can't riffle or mash (like we would with sleeved cards), pile shuffling isn't random etc.

I'm thinking of just using an RNG to pick them before each game, the disadvantage of that being slowness but I guess it's just 3-4 minutes - what do others do to properly randomise the contracts pre-game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morris Ho
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stack all the contracts in a tower, randomly split that tower into 6 stacks, then build 5 contract piles from the top tile of each stack in no particular order. It's random enough for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I personnaly mash them. It's not fully random, sure, but it's good enough. We also usually don't keep track of the order in which the 6 contract stacks are built, so that adds another level of randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
OK, shuffling the 38 regular contract tiles, at least in a way that ensures proper randomness, seems to be beyond us. You can't riffle or mash (like we would with sleeved cards), pile shuffling isn't random etc.
If you riffle shuffle correctly, by lifting the corners with your thumbs and just allowing the tiles to drop, then you can certainly riffle shuffle. It's people who don't know how to riffle shuffle properly, and assume you have to bend cards in a riffle shuffle, who can't riffle shuffle tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
msg tools
badge
Caught you 'mirin'.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words: Cloth bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
If you riffle shuffle correctly, by lifting the corners with your thumbs and just allowing the tiles to drop, then you can certainly riffle shuffle. It's people who don't know how to riffle shuffle properly, and assume you have to bend cards in a riffle shuffle, who can't riffle shuffle tiles.

That's a bit judgmental, but I agree that tiles can be shuffled. In the Gamenight videos, Dave often shuffles the tiles...that's how I learned to do it.

TwoShedsJackson wrote:
pile shuffling isn't random

It's not? Especially in a game like this, where the contracts shouldn't be heavily clumped from the previous game, I can't imagine why a simple pile shuffle wouldn't be random enough.

A draw bag was our solution for Lord of the Rings, so I could see it working here. However, in VoMP, I really like seeing the stacks of tiles representing upcoming rounds, so I can see how soon the game will end. I would miss that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
United States
Rocky Hill
CT
flag msg tools
To be vulnerable ...
badge
... is needed most of all.
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:

It's people who don't know how to riffle shuffle properly, and assume you have to bend cards in a riffle shuffle, who can't riffle shuffle tiles.

That was unnecessarily rude, but I suppose you're right.

I just take smaller stacks in my left hand and with the right grab some out of the middle and throw them on top or bottom of the stack, just like how people will give a cursory shuffle with cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=lo4qiFn7lpY

(I have them in my hand and am using my whole other hand to do it, not just my fingertips, but that's the idea.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rontuaru wrote:
Two words: Cloth bag.

Plus, if you only draw out the required number for the 'extra contracts' stack before hand, you only then need to draw from the bag 6 contracts each round, which feels faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phildinius wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

It's people who don't know how to riffle shuffle properly, and assume you have to bend cards in a riffle shuffle, who can't riffle shuffle tiles.

That was unnecessarily rude, but I suppose you're right.
I'm not sure how it was rude. Bending cards is bad for them and will destroy the cards over time. The correct way to shuffle is to simply lift the cards with your thumbs and let them drop in a riffle fashion without bending them.

Here's an example of shuffling tiles. I've seen people who can do it much better than this by the way, but this was the first video I could find that showed tile shuffling.
There's a girl in my gaming group who can shuffle tiles so quickly and fluidly that if you're not paying attention, you'd think she was actually shuffling cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put them in the box lid, shake it a few times and draw randomly from different spots in it while building the stacks.

Haven't had any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.