Subject: Why does the Coach specify "white or black" circles, and not blue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just pondering this on another thread, since you can move normally into blue spaces...

Quote:
...wonder why the Coach specifies that you can only move through/to spaces which are white or black. I'm not sure why that restriction is needed. Obviously most of the blue circles are dead ends (other than for travelling by boat), so you wouldn't be able to move to a 2nd different space with a Coach afterwards, but there doesn't seem to be a reason to prevent you using one as your 2nd space. And spaces 154, 160, 174 are not dead ends, so could be used as a 1at Coach space, were it not for the black/white restriction.

EDIT: Actually, the "dead end" stuff is irrelevant, since most of those blue circles have a couple of other adjacent spaces, so you could move out to a different one as your 2nd move with a Coach, except for that black/white restriction. Perhaps that's why it specifies white/black? Would that be too powerful in some way?

I guess it could be a bit more of a bluff to "waste" the move to effectively only move 1 space in the way described in the EDIT. But it could genuinely let Jack move 2 spaces via a different route if using eg. space 154 or 160 as the 1st move of a Coach, so maybe that's the reason for the restriction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, a Coach can not move into the water. When you use a Coach think of it as jack moving the two spaces faster than he would normally do thanks to the carriage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Yeah, that's fair enough I guess. Although, is a blue space actually "in the water"? No biggie, the rules are the rules.

It just seemed interesting that Jack can move normally onto a blue space without requiring use of a Boat special movement, but can't utilise a blue space with a Coach.

Here's the thread that made our group query what might have driven the need for the restriction in the rules...
Jack's movement on blue circles....a boat needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are clear, and a Coach cannot be used to move into a blue numbered circle, but you can play any game as you want if that makes it better for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Dorn
Austria
flag msg tools
According to the German rules there is no restriction for the coach to move only to white or black numbered circles. But I don't know what the original Italian rules are saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to
United States
Piney Woods
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can jack use a coach to move to 111?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck Dice wrote:
Can jack use a coach to move to 111?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was puzzled by the rules around this!

The "Coach" special movement card (at least in the English edition) makes it pretty clear that you can only move to/through white or black circles, and since circle 111 is blue, you can't use it as the 1st or 2nd part of the move. As an additional note, even if 111 was allowed (or if you want to house rule that it is), "Coach" specifies that the 2 circles in the move must be different to each other, and also different to the circle that Jack started the move from.

I'm ok with those rules, and we've stuck to them in our games. So long as everyone at the table follows the same interpretation, I don't think it would massively change the game if you house-ruled it, just a few situations.

But it's always seemed a little strange logically/thematically...

Jack can use a normal move to get to a blue circle, even if he has no intention of following that move up with a "Boat". So, to me, the blue circles themselves are not "in the water". Jack can use normal movement to enter/leave a blue circle, and could even leave the circle by using a "Coach"!!! So, why can't he use the "Coach" to do the same move in the opposite direction & arrive on the blue circle? Just a bit of an oddity!

Spina1980 wrote:
According to the German rules there is no restriction for the coach to move only to white or black numbered circles. But I don't know what the original Italian rules are saying.

This is intriguing... now I'd be interested to know if the original rules have the white/black restriction.

Anyway, here's the text of the "Coach" card from the English edition, if anyone cares to do a comparison...
Special Movement - Coach wrote:
Jack can use a Coach to move to 2
adjacent numbered circles (white or
black) in succession at once like a double
move. Coaches can move through
Crossings containing Investigator
figures. The 2 numbered circles must be
different from each other and from the
circle he started the move from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to
United States
Piney Woods
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space 111 is a blue spot BUT it has a black ring around it. In fact a couple numbers are dual colored though I don’t know what it means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck Dice wrote:
Space 111 is a blue spot BUT it has a black ring around it. In fact a couple numbers are dual colored though I don’t know what it means.

Ah, I understand the confusion! There was some discussion around this when the game released. The gist was that those blue circles with black outlines are probably just there to help visually split the board into the 4 quadrants (they form part of a large "cross" shape when combined with the fully-black circles). But they are still "blue" circles as far as the rules are concerned.

Here's the thread...
Blue Circle Areas

And here was a post I made there at the time...
Re: Blue Circle Areas
Pudsy wrote:
Good thread. I think the intention is that you cannot select those blue/blue circles as Discovery locations, and the blue/black circles are just a visual aid to separate the quadrants.

Page 5 refers to Jack selecting "4 white circles". Seems obvious enough.

Page 6 says his start location must be "one of the four white numbered circles". By which it means white circle with a number, rather than the number itself being white (since all the white circles have black numbers!) Again, seems the blue circles are not allowed.

But as SuperGLS suggested above, I now wonder if there is any reason why we couldn't permit Jack to use the blue/blue circles as Discovery locations (as a variant, or whether that is a possible interpretation of the rules). I can't immediately think of anything this would break... other than perhaps making things slightly harder on the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.