Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that was interesting...

It is now my honour and privilege to introduce a man who should need no introduction:

Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
It's the journey not the destination.
mbmbmbmbmb

benisace wrote:
How can one pin down the figure, form, feelings and odours of just one man? We can’t but in the following paragraphs I intend to convince you of my suitability for this office.

My goals in gaming are very likely similar to your own. I wish to

1. Secure for myself the general adoration of all of humankind.
2. Improve myself while not expending any energy in doing so.
3. Live atop a pile of skulls.
4. Uwe Rosenberg.

Board games came into my life when I had already achieved adulthood(just one of my many achievements) and so lean towards games that have scowling men on the cover and are arrayed in muted colours as this makes me seem more refined and mature.

Before gaming I was an actor (I still am. This is why I have almost no money) and have ruthlessly squandered the privileges life has afforded me in my home country of Britain, Vienna and am now leading a life of gleeful fecklessness in Berlin.

I co-host the Perfect Information Podcast with people that are far more erudite and far less drunk than me and I recommend you listen if not for the insight of my able partners, then for the joy of knowing that there is at least one person on the planet that knows less than you on every topic conceivable.

Games are a good. There are games we are repelled by and games that attract us but I have found that this hobby singles itself out by being welcoming and indulgent of idiots like me. If there was a word I would use to describe the hobby in general it would be ‘civil’ and in today’s climate that is one hell of a complement.

It is my hope that I haven’t bored you already and that I will be a serviceable GOTW.

Finally, my heartfelt thanks to Danny for the nomination. I know you will have regretted your decision after reading the first three words of the first sentence of this introduction and I am nothing if not facepalmingly consistent.

Poll
Can you spot the lie?
I have a species of pre-historic insect named after me.
I am from the mistletoe capital of Britain.
I played cricket for my local county as a teenager.
      110 answers
Poll created by Relax

To get things going here are a few questions:

d10-1 What game, so far, has best captured your imagination and keeps you emotionally invested, and why do you think that is?

d10-2 Is there a 'proper' way to play any given game?

d10-3 What made you want to get into Podcasting?

d10-4 Is it difficult to come up with a new game each episode that you want to review?

d10-5 What game surprised you the most on your first play?

d10-6 DO you play to win or do you play to play?

d10-7 If you could change one thing about the hobby, what would it be?

d10-8 What is the main thing that makes you want to buy a particular game?

d10-9 How important is a game's production value in making you want to play and or own it?

Have fun Ben, and good luck...

Danny
-----------------------------------------

Click here for more information on the Geek of the Week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ben!
Have a wizard of a week!

Just my usual question: Have you a favorite wizard tpye? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!

Now, I'll just nip off and think of some questions.

BRB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of living in a foreign country?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Ben, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
Well, that was interesting...

To get things going here are a few questions:

d10-1 What game, so far, has best captured your imagination and keeps you emotionally invested, and why do you think that is?

d10-2 Is there a 'proper' way to play any given game?

d10-3 What made you want to get into Podcasting?

d10-4 Is it difficult to come up with a new game each episode that you want to review?

d10-5 What game surprised you the most on your first play?

d10-6 DO you play to win or do you play to play?

d10-7 If you could change one thing about the hobby, what would it be?

d10-8 What is the main thing that makes you want to buy a particular game?

d10-9 How important is a game's production value in making you want to play and or own it?

Thnak you so much Danny for this honour. I am genuinely very excited and hope that I don't disgrace this wonderful institution!

d10-1 There are so many games that capture my imagination. The wonderful thing about boardgames is they let you write your own story every time you play but in terms of sheer longevity and consistency of experience, it's hard to go wrong with City of Horror. There is so much malice and laughter generated in this game and every time I've played it has been riotously malicious. Play this game!

d10-2 The only proper way to play a game is to the benefit of the experience. Winning is so inconsequential that a person should barely think about it. Do you come away form a game with that warm glow in your stomach after you've played it?Then you've played it right.

d10-3 I have an enormous mouth and a cast iron regard for my own opinions. Combine that with the narcissism and you have your answer. I just hope that some people enjoy the embarrassing self regard.

d10-4 The difficult thing is to choose games to review. There are so many past and present that deserve looking at and dissecting. If companies give us games we review them but some we just simply think have something valuable in them to discuss. That's not always that the game is fantastic, we rip some to shreds but as long as the game is interesting we can (hopefully) find something interesting to say.

d10-5 The game we are reviewing this week is really surprising(you'll have to listen to find out infoperfected.com). So much game in such a little box. This gets said a lot but this one really delivers on that claim.

d10-6 I am grossly inept so I simply can't play to win but I always aspire to do as well as I can. Otherwise the point in playing in the first place eludes me.

d10-7 I wrote and rewrote this answer about four times trying to find something that I really believed in but I couldn't. What annoys me about this hobby is a moveable feast. It depends on how much sleep I've had, how much I've had to drink, who I've played games with that week. Fundamentally though, I continue to participate in this hobby because I love it, even it's foibles. No strike that, it's pedantry.

d10-8More and more it's themes that are not in the realm of fantasy and sci-fi. I love moody indie films set in grubby cities or blasted landscapes. I love literary fiction grounded in the real problems of real people and more and more I want my games to reflect the world I live in. We live in an age where metaphor and allegory won't cut it any more. We need to be honest and straight and call out injustice where we see it and more and more I want my games to reflect the world I live in.

d10-9I wish I could say I wasn't a magpie but I am. Lovely sculpted wooden pieces are a real joy. Stonemaier Games are the best in the business and their components make great games transcendent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Ben!
Have a wizard of a week!

Just my usual question: Have you a favorite wizard tpye? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

I have to say Jim Darkmagic. If you don't know who that is watch Acquisitions Incorporated. The best actual play DnD there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ben. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of living in a foreign country?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

1 Depends what you mean. What qualifies as a war game? I have this argument with a war gaming friend of mine all the time. I say it's any game that models conflict. He says it must simulate an historical battle. I find the games that model real conflict a little tricky if I'm honest. I just find it hard to extract myself from the fact that they are people's granddads or uncles. If it has a theme that takes it away from real conflicts then I'm all good.

2No question War of the Ring (Second Edition) it's a thing of beauty.

3 I never really played Risk as a kid but I used to tutor kids in English and as a reward sometimes we would play Risk on the ipad. I have great memories of those sessions and I think Risk is usually given a rough ride.

4I played Axis and Allies once with some friends and a guy on the Axis side refused to go into battle with his men because he felt his teams mates were burdening him unfairly. They lost, we won. Good game (he was a knobhead though).

5Mondrian: The Dice Game it came out at Essen last year and is a thinky, tactical dexterity game that has a surprising amount of heft. If you can find it you should really give it a go.

6 As I do all the games I play really. But if I ever move back to England (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) Pandemic will always remind me of getting onto gaming and that will always remind me of Berlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Congratulations, Ben, enjoy your week!

Thanks very much. I'm loving it already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Ben. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

Planet Express ship even if it is kinda Rourkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mb
Congratulations Ben!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:
Congratulations Ben!

Thankblankyoublankveryblankmuch:!:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Poole
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Ben!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mischip wrote:
Congrats, Ben!

Thanking you kindly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About Fudgin' time
shake

If you were to win an award, what would it be for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:
About Fudgin' time
shake

If you were to win an award, what would it be for?

Most violent mood swings. I'm multi-personality disorder without the personality!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ben!

1) What’s your favorite...
1 A) solo game?
1 B) 2 player only game?
1 C) 3-5 player game?
1 D) 6+ player game?
2) What’s your favorite...
2 A) mead flavour?
2 B) beer that doesn’t taste of banana?
2 C) Swedish football player?
2 D) dish?
3) What ______ should be made into a board game?
3 A) play
3 B) book
3 C) British tv-show
3 D) dish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Ben!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Much deserved, Ben!

Which is the best ever game?
Why Worcestershire when you could Root for Yorkshire?
Will you buy me a beer in Hall 2 to help get rid of my hangover?
Are you in Aarhus/Aachen the first weekend of March next year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Burnham
United Kingdom
Abingdon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) How much thumpingly camp disco music is on your generic music playing device?
2) What's better; Tension or Release?
3) Which board game is best for stuffing down your Lycra cycling shorts (to play when you get to your destination, obviously?)
4) What's the best non gaming related thing about Germany?
5) How much was the bribe you had to pay to earn this nomination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soulbender wrote:
Congratulations Ben!

1) What’s your favorite...
1 A) solo game?
1 B) 2 player only game?
1 C) 3-5 player game?
1 D) 6+ player game?
2) What’s your favorite...
2 A) mead flavour?
2 B) beer that doesn’t taste of banana?
2 C) Swedish football player?
2 D) dish?
3) What ______ should be made into a board game?
3 A) play
3 B) book
3 C) British tv-show
3 D) dish

1)

A) I so rarely play solo games but the one have most fun with was definitely Friday it's a really knotty deck builder and is cracking good fun

B) Has to be War of the Ring (Second Edition) That game is a real masterpiece.

C) Lewis & Clark This game is like a mix between a swiss watch and a polished pearl. It makes me feel warm inside every time I play it.

D) Has to be Tajemnicze Domostwo(Mysterium) I spoke to Ignacy a month before it came out and he said it was amazing and he wasn't wrong. The Polish version has less bling but cleaner rules and is brilliant.

2)

A) They do a gingerbread one at a mead shop in Berlin that might be the acme of human achievement.

B) My current favourite is Black Flag Imperial Stout from a brewery in Berlin. It is choclatey, coffee amazingness.

C)Got to be Henrik Larsson. Great striker and not a manc like that other one.

D) A curry of any kind. Shame that continental Europe has dropped the ball on the whole curry thing.

3)

A) Blasted by Sarah Kane. Bloody hell.

B)The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Why? Just read the book it's ace.

C) Nightingales. A brief lived british sitcom from the nineties. Why? Just watch the bloody show it's ace!

D) Channing Tatum. (See what I did there?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Much deserved, Ben!

Which is the best ever game?
Why Worcestershire when you could Root for Yorkshire?
Will you buy me a beer in Hall 2 to help get rid of my hangover?
Are you in Aarhus/Aachen the first weekend of March next year?

There are so many. I've mentioned Lewis & Clark so I'll give Viticulture a shout out too. Pure calming pleasure in a box.

I'm afraid I am geographically hampered when it comes to cricket supporting. I am from Worcestershire and must follow them through thick and thin.

I will both help to cause the hangover and cure it.

I sincerely hope so. For thise not in the know there is a really nice little Con in Aarhus every year. Last year was the first and it went fabulously. If you're in the Local area you should go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I'd forgotten all about Nightingales. That program was fantastic.

A very well deserved geek of the week for one of the few original voices in board game media.

My questions:

1. What is the best quality in one of your least favourite "hobby" board game (no cheating and saying "it ends").
2. Do you feel mainstream success for board gaming (equivalent to say computer gaming) is something that would be beneficial to your own personal of the hobby.
3. Do you have aspirations to design a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ben! Emmy deserved, enjoy this and have lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.