6 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: counterattacks by mobs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
evil bob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet but the rules seem more complicated than Zombicide, and that took us a while to comprehend completely (and we still ignore most of the noise rules, which are usually moot and take too long to track). It seems like each rule also has lots of exceptions, which is a red flag.

One thing I am not 100% on is counterattacks by mobs. Counterattacks are undertaken by any enemy the hero attacks, but mobs typically act as one monster (with exceptions of course). It seems as though if you attack a mob, it will try to counterattack, and the mob acts as one unit (just like when it moves/attacks normally), so it will move as a unit and counterattack as a unit. My question is: if you attack a mob and ANY of it is left standing - but not wounded - does it still counterattack? Or does it only counterattack if you leave wounds on some part of it? For example, if you attack and kill all the minions (but do not have any damage spillover to the boss), does the boss still counterattack because the mob is still acting as a single unit? If the mob has 4 minions and you kill 2 with no damage spillover to the other 2 minions, does the rest of the mob still counterattack? (This seems like yes.)

It seems like the answer to both is yes (with all the normal counterattack exceptions of course), but it's not explicitly stated either way (that I can find), and there are so many other exceptions it's hard to trust that anything works in a straightforward way. It also ultimately means that mobs are virtually identical to standalone (roaming) monsters (just with more fidelity when it comes to levels); it feels like an idea that was originally going in a different direction but now mobs are just a huge bookkeeping nightmare with nothing that really differentiates them from a single monster. (They are also an organizational nightmare, since you need to keep all types of monsters separate if you want to find them quickly, along with their single boss units!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's straight foraward. If you attack them and leave any of them (wounded or not), they will counter attack if they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you do an attack action that targets the mob they will counter attack providing they haven't been wiped out. Also damaged doesn't spill over to the boss, only spill over will happen with the minions, the boss can't be damaged or killed from the same attack that killed a minion. I would recommend watching a play through video in the video section you will see how all the rules come together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
As long as you do an attack action that targets the mob they will counter attack providing they haven't been wiped out. Also damaged doesn't spill over to the boss, only spill over will happen with the minions, the boss can't be damaged or killed from the same attack that killed a minion. I would recommend watching a play through video in the video section you will see how all the rules come together

One important exception we didn't notice until today is that they actually won't counterattack if you get out of LOS and into shadow.

Rulebook p.21 wrote:
Important: Heroes can avoid a Counter-Attack if they hide away in the shadows. If the Hero is out of Line of Sight of the Enemy he attacked and in a Shadow Zone, the Enemy will not be activated to Counter-Attack.

This is important because you can effectively attack and stun an enemy, then disappear to let the stun roll over to another Hero's activation. Useful if you want to get XP on someone who can't avoid or survive through a counter-attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe that also includes slippery following melee,if you move away you won't get counter attacked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
I believe that also includes slippery following melee,if you move away you won't get counter attacked

Assuming you're not out of LoS and in Shadow, they still can. If the enemy monster can move to you (IE: not engaged with another player and nobody else in the way, or slippery themselves) they will walk up to you and hit you. If they have range/magic abilities and you're in range, they will use those on you instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.