Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Getting the base game, trying to understand what each of the expansions and add-ones do, and would love your wisdom and help! I'd like to get a few which enhance the experience without adding much complexity.

Can I have some suggestions: which are your favorite?

Also, the ones I have listed below seem intriguing and I would love help understanding what they do. I've only ever played the base zombicide.

Bosses Abomination
This one seems to add bosses with special abilities that may spawn. Is there anything like this in the base game? Does this break up the monotony of the basic zombies or is there already enough variety in the base box?

NPCs
These guys are kept when killed which seems fun. How much complexity do they add / how hard are they too pilot? Does it make the players too powerful / game too easy? If this is good which NPC pack is better?

Murder of Crowz
Not really sure how these play so I would love opinions and an explanation. If they are good is 1 box enough?

Deadeye Walkers
Looks to add another zombie genre. Same variety question as Bosses: is variety needed? And Is this better or worse than crowz?

Hero Pack 1
Unless I'm missing something there seems to be plenty of heroes in the base box. Thoughts?

Tokens Pack
Are those plastic brick walls used in every scenario?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prioritize the bosses and the crowz highest, for variety. Also Zombicide: Black Plague – Wulfsburg, if only for the wulfz. One pack of crowz is way enough.

The deadeye walkers are supposed to be very good, but are out of print. There seems to come a reprint with the Zombicide: Green Horde kickstarter.

The NPCs come with new vault items, which is nice. The sculpts are good, too, the rules are meh...

I got all the heroes, but I wouldn't say I needed them.

Didn't get the token pack, I'm quite fine with the cardboard tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
My ranking would be

Deadeye Walkerz
Boss Abominations
Murder of Crowz

If you want more survivors the Hero Pack is nice, but so are the guest packs, some of those come with additional necromancers too!

The NPC packs are not that good, I only use the additional vault items ...

The tokens are entirely fluff, there is no advantage by using them, other than the wear you can get for objective tokens (but that would mean _alot_ of plays). The plastic brick walls are substitutes for the broken wall cardboard tokens from the Abominataur (Boss pack), as he can break walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd play through the base game by itself. Maybe add one of the guest boxes if you want to change up the Heros. There's 6 Heros in the box but the quests require you to play with all six so you do use them a lot.

The game is a completely different experience once you start adding everything. Personally I enjoy the vanilla version more, I find it more intense and suspenseful. Once you start adding everything it becomes more of a hack n slash romp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
I'd play through the base game by itself. Maybe add one of the guest boxes if you want to change up the Heros. There's 6 Heros in the box but the quests require you to play with all six so you do use them a lot.

The game is a completely different experience once you start adding everything. Personally I enjoy the vanilla version more, I find it more intense and suspenseful. Once you start adding everything it becomes more of a hack n slash romp.

Wait all the quests require use of all 6 heroes despite the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
typo360 wrote:

There are published scenarios that require 4+ heroes. Available on the official site: https://zombicide.com/en/black-plague-quests/

In fact, all (or almost all?) supplemental quests are for 4+. (the ones in the rules are all 6+ though)

And there are rules for any scenario where you can ADD survivors. So in our 4 player games with the 6+ scenarios, we play with 8 survivors (2 each), and do what the rules say, which is add a spawn point, and Necros need an extra permanent spawn for us to lose.

Also, playing 8 survivors means that if a survivor dies, that player still has something to do for the rest of the session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
typo360 wrote:

You can easily play the scenarios with 4 survivors and without fixed turn order(as were the solo rules for the original zombicide)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
jgortner wrote:
typo360 wrote:

You can easily play the scenarios with 4 survivors and without fixed turn order(as were the solo rules for the original zombicide)...

Really? I'll give it a go to change it up. With just the core box and weapons it's be interesting if 4 heros can keep up with the zombies. May have to do more running and gunning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
leberegel wrote:
jgortner wrote:
typo360 wrote:

Really? I'll give it a go to change it up. With just the core box and weapons it's be interesting if 4 heros can keep up with the zombies. May have to do more running and gunning.

Having not to follow a fixed turnorder is giving you quite an edge. What makes it a bit more difficult is the fact that you need to distribute XPs from kills and objectives among fewer survivors. But who says that a zombie apocalypse has to be a cake walk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
leberegel wrote:
jgortner wrote:
typo360 wrote:

Having not to follow a fixed turnorder is giving you quite an edge. What makes it a bit more difficult is the fact that you need to distribute XPs from kills and objectives among fewer survivors. But who says that a zombie apocalypse has to be a cake walk...

Uh, BP doesn't have a fixed turnorder for solo play, anyways, does it?

"Starting with whoever holds the first player token, each
player activates his Survivors one after another, in the order
of his choice
."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorron wrote:
My ranking would be

Deadeye Walkerz
Boss Abominations
Murder of Crowz

I'd agree.

These 3 bring new monsters to tune your zombie spawn deck, mostly to make it a bit more challenging.

OP didn't mention the Wulfsburg, which I would recommend as well as it adds :
1. new vault cards (was really needed)
2. new heroes (nice)
3. new monsters (some of the hardest)
4. tiles (not that great)

For the money it's a very good add-on, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Huh, chalk that up to another oversight on my part. That would even apply to say two players playing 3 each. The players go in order but not the heros within each players turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Huh, chalk that up to another oversight on my part. That would even apply to say two players playing 3 each. The players go in order but not the heros within each players turn.

Correct. And plays perfectly with 4. Makes a much more tactical game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Cavalieri
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Is that allowed by the rules? I thought that we had to follow an order for the heroes, not for the player... Is that a house rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Cavalieri
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
ghorron wrote:
My ranking would be

Deadeye Walkerz
Boss Abominations
Murder of Crowz

I'd agree.

These 3 bring new monsters to tune your zombie spawn deck, mostly to make it a bit more challenging.

OP didn't mention the Wulfsburg, which I would recommend as well as it adds :
1. new vault cards (was really needed)
2. new heroes (nice)
3. new monsters (some of the hardest)
4. tiles (not that great)

For the money it's a very good add-on, though.

Wulfsburg does not bring any new Vault item. It brings a couple of magical itens that turn out to be better them the Vault ones. But Vault gives you the chance to get it easier as you don't have to search for it. So there's a difference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziruga wrote:
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Is that allowed by the rules? I thought that we had to follow an order for the heroes, not for the player... Is that a house rule?

No, it's in the original rules, page 8 and again on page 19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
Ziruga wrote:
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Actually it is the rule for solo Play, but of course can be used for up to 4 Players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
Ziruga wrote:
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Actually it is the rule for solo Play, but of course can be used for up to 4 Players...

Maybe that's true for modern Zombicide, but not for BP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
leberegel wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
Ziruga wrote:
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

As these are more or less the same games this rule can easily be used for ZBP...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
leberegel wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
Ziruga wrote:
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

As these are more or less the same games this rule can easily be used for ZBP...

Have you actually read what you are replying to???

In BP, this rule is official for all player counts; no need for a special solo rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ipreuss wrote:
leberegel wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
leberegel wrote:
ipreuss wrote:
Ziruga wrote:
leberegel wrote:
typo360 wrote:
ipreuss wrote:

of his choice
."

Have you actually read what you are replying to???

In BP, this rule is official for all player counts; no need for a special solo rule.

Does it really matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
Does it really matter?

It does - most people like to play according to official rules, mostly!
Personally I am not a fan of house-ruling if not strictly necessary.

And people: please stop the multi-quoting!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
leberegel wrote:
Does it really matter?

I just have checked the ZBP Manual. If you play with 6 players and 6 survivours you DO have a fixed turn order. Only if you are playing solo, you do not have fixed turn orders.
Therefore my suggestion to reduce the number of survivours from 6 to 4 and play without fixed tunr order is a valid suggestion, isnt it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
leberegel wrote:
Does it really matter?

I just have checked the ZBP Manual. If you play with 6 players and 6 survivours you DO have a fixed turn order. Only if you are playing solo, you do not have fixed turn orders.
Therefore my suggestion to reduce the number of survivours from 6 to 4 and play without fixed tunr order is a valid suggestion, isnt it?

Sure.

But what he is saying is that if you play with more survivors per player, the rules say you may freely decide which one you play first.
Which is also true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

My hope was that leaving the original rules quote intact would help. Apparently, that was a bit naive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.