3 Posts

Strat-O-Matic Pro Football» Forums » General

Subject: Are the results ultimately the same ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gerald the old master
msg tools
mb
Generally speaking do you get the same results playing "score wise " with the elementary quicker version of play as opposed to the more advanced play? My point is besides the more complex strategies etc will the matchup's turn out about the same no mater your level of play you decide on? It looks like you still end up rolling the dice to get the same results off the cards. Half the time you look at the defense card and the other half the offence card. The simple version looks like it eliminates the cat and mouse fun no doubt but it looks like the matchups will still end up with the same results. Do most people play the game with the elementary rules or advanced version? Or both ways ? I had the game back in the early 80s and moved on to Paydirt because I like a game that moves along quicker and feel any time you start to get into more and more complexities the games slow down to much. I would like to get the game again and play it for the most part solitaire. I would like some honest feedback on Strat o matic football and both versions. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like S.O.M. For me, it's mostly a solitaire game--though not as easy to play solo as the baseball game. I haven't played for a while, but I've played or purchased several other football games over the years, most recently 1st & Goal, Pizza Box Football, Masters of the Gridiron, and APBA. I think S.O.M. is the best football game of the lot, for several reasons, not the least of which is that you can play the game three different ways--in the Elementary the Advanced or even the Super Advanced versions.

The Elementary version is fine if you just want a quick game. The Advanced version is nice because you can add advanced rules a few at a time to make the transition a little easier. There are even some Super advanced posted here on BGG that you can try. I've downloaded some of these in the form of cards, I think, that offer more complicated options for the super-advanced football enthusiast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peton

Indiana
msg tools
To me, there is no real difference. I am currently playing a season using elementary play and the scores seem about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.