Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there BGG,

I'm mostly active on the Board Game Design forum, so here is a short introduction: Last year I started a small company and brought my first board game Das Katastrophenspiel (it's actually my fourth design, but the first that survived the playtesting phase) to the SPIEL16 games fair in Essen, Germany.

Right now my new game Albedo is listed on the SPIEL17 preview list: https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/4/item/1279?showstats=...

As of writing this, 100 people are interested and 186 people are undecided. I am elated at this result, because I am still new and unknown - seeing that many people considering my game makes me happy.

In an effort to convince undecided people, I have uploaded the rulebook to BGG, but since it needs to be approved first (EDIT: It is approved now and can be found on the game's page), I have also uploaded the rulebook here: https://kaiherbertz.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/albedo-ruleb...

If you have any questions about the game, game design, SPIEL, myself, or anything else, please feel free to ask in this thread

Thanks a bunch and hopefully I can pull a few of the undecided voters to the interested side.

All the best,

Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My immediate reaction: This may just be a personal opinion but I prefer to have the main text in a script font rather than a decorative font. It makes for easier reading and scanning of the text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
My immediate reaction: This may just be a personal opinion but I prefer to have the main text in a script font rather than a decorative font. It makes for easier reading and scanning of the text.

That's something I hadn't considered yet. Hopefully it's not too much of a dealbreaker. Since the actual rulebook is in A7 format, instead of the A4 of the PDF, I guess having a font that is easily legible is even more important. Thanks for the headsup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always want to know why I should buy this thing rather than just play one of the other things I already have. For your game, the unique selling point seems to be 'Non-party game that plays up to 8 people, with no downtime, in a constant 45 minutes'. I'd make a banner ad that says that and hang it over your booth at Essen, and make sure I had testimonials from people who played it at higher player counts to say 'this is no lie'.

I'm in the market for games that play 7, as that is what the family is when it all wants to play the same game over Christmas. So count me in for 2 copies, when it becomes available. I'm not going to Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I always want to know why I should buy this thing rather than just play one of the other things I already have. For your game, the unique selling point seems to be 'Non-party game that plays up to 8 people, with no downtime, in a constant 45 minutes'. I'd make a banner ad that says that and hang it over your booth at Essen, and make sure I had testimonials from people who played it at higher player counts to say 'this is no lie'.

I'm in the market for games that play 7, as that is what the family is when it all wants to play the same game over Christmas. So count me in for 2 copies, when it becomes available. I'm not going to Essen.

Thanks for the feedback, Laura! That's a very good idea about the banner. To me, another USP is that both of my games are produced in Europe, but so far I had the impression that not as many people care about that.

I am glad to hear that you're interested in 7 player games - I do plan to run a Kickstarter campaign in late October to see if there is demand for a larger print run. When that happens, I can get the game to people, who won't go to SPIEL.

I'll try to get some testimonials up - in my playtesting round it did work with no downtime, but of course unbiased and additional confirmations would be better. I plan on running a free 8 player tournament every day at SPIEL where people can win one copy of the game. Perhaps I can ask the players, if they would like to give a testimonial on camera and upload that to youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely like the idea of a higher play count as well. That's hard to find outside of party games and we need more! I'm in the US though, so no Essen for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a recent thread in General Gaming about somebody who wants a game that plays in 30 minutes or so, so he or she could play it at lunch time with an unspecified number of work colleagues. That's an underserved niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I definitely like the idea of a higher play count as well. That's hard to find outside of party games and we need more! I'm in the US though, so no Essen for me.

That's a shame that you're missing out on Essen - outside of the aforementioned upcoming Kickstarter campaign, I don't think my game is going to be available in the USA.

I have to look into making a Kickstarter campaign US friendly. Right now it'd only be European friendly by virtue of being in Europe. Lots of stuff to look up.

But I hear both of you on the higher playercount games. My favourites for 7 players are Junta and Citadels. We recently played the latter and although I still loved it, my gaming group didn't :/

I still have a foil-wrapped copy of Captain Sonar on my shelf, because so far I did not manage to get 8 players together, but I hear it's great.

lacreighton wrote:
We had a recent thread in General Gaming about somebody who wants a game that plays in 30 minutes or so, so he or she could play it at lunch time with an unspecified number of work colleagues. That's an underserved niche.

I remember seeing that thread and I wish I could say my game would satisfy that need, but I actually did stop the time on a few sessions and one of the 2 player tests took 35 minutes and a 7 player test took 43 minutes.

That said, while I also think it's good to excel in a niche as an indie game dev, I for one am not going to chase those <30 min games. After two filler games, I want to cut my teeth on bigger, more complex designs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understandable -- just worth checking to see if you already had a fit for that niche. Citidels we find unbearable at large player counts, precisely because there is so much downtime as you wait for people to select roles. Between Two Cities and 7 Wonders get played a lot around here, but we would really like something new. And while I am always up for shooting family members with a laser in RoboRally, other family members are less enthuthiastic about this. Odd that.

Now, one of the things I really appreciate about Hollandspiele, which is a US publisher despite its name, is that they always make a high quality PnP version of their game, and stick it on the wargamevault like this. http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/10383/Hollandspiele?s... The wargamevault, by the way, publishes a growing selection of not-wargames as well. This means instead of paying the expensive US freight charges for me to get the game in Sweden, I just get a copy on a memory stick, and pop down to the local printshop and say 'print me up one of these on nice cardstock' and I have a very nice game that has cost me significantly less.

Maybe it is time for your European company to return the favour for Americans who want to get a copy of your game, without having to import it from Europe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I have posted this in the wrong section - my apologies for that - but now it has been moved to the entry for "Das Katastrophenspiel," probably because I mentioned that early on in my first post.

Regardless, I feel the discussion is better suited for the Albedo game section, so I opened a post there: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27014259

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.