United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
For various reasons, I have waited to get into this game. One reason was to learn from others' experiences, especially those that have been playing from the beginning. Basically:

What do you wish you knew when you were first starting? What would you do differently? What would you do the same?

I am not looking for strategy advice. What I'm interested in is hearing how people approach the game. There is a lot that goes into approach, so feel free to comment in general, but below are some examples of what I'm considering. Thanks in advance.

Considerations

Is there something about the game you would savor more? What difficulty level would you start a campaign with? Would you play one of the standard difficulties or use a custom chaos token mix? How many investigators would you control for solo play? Would you play progression style or with all cards from the cycle?

How do you suggest approaching a campaign for the first time? Would you play each scenario once, take the result, and move on? Or would you replay a scenario a few times before moving on to give yourself a better chance of success? Would you completely restart if it became clear that your deck isn't going to give you a chance? Where is the balance between story and enjoyment?

Personal Approach

Personally, I want to undertake an approach that maximizes the theme and story. Perhaps the answers I'm most interested hearing is about approaching a campaign for the first time. Playing a scenario once and moving on would seem to maximize the theme and story, but I would not want to reach the end and have a miserable time of it because my deck stinks and/or because I've taken too much trauma to have any chance at succeeding. I don't mind challenging scenarios. But I don't want to sacrifice enjoyment because I've made the wrong choices on how to play (as opposed to choices made in game). In the end, I will play through a campaign many times, but I want to make the first time count.

I am guessing that I will ultimately play more games with two investigators than with one, but for maximum immersion, I am leaning toward one investigator on Easy for my first playthrough of any given campaign. Unless I hear differently, that is. I probably won't change my mind on starting on Easy, but I am open to starting with controlling two investigators. I almost certainly will play progression style, in order to take my time with learning and experimenting with the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungrazer wrote:
For various reasons, I have waited to get into this game. One reason was to learn from others' experiences, especially those that have been playing from the beginning. Basically:

What do you wish you knew when you were first starting? What would you do differently? What would you do the same?

I am not looking for strategy advice. What I'm interested in is hearing how people approach the game. There is a lot that goes into approach, so feel free to comment in general, but below are some examples of what I'm considering. Thanks in advance.

Considerations

Is there something about the game you would savor more? What difficulty level would you start a campaign with? Would you play one of the standard difficulties or use a custom chaos token mix? How many investigators would you control for solo play? Would you play progression style or with all cards from the cycle?

How do you suggest approaching a campaign for the first time? Would you play each scenario once, take the result, and move on? Or would you replay a scenario a few times before moving on to give yourself a better chance of success? Would you completely restart if it became clear that your deck isn't going to give you a chance? Where is the balance between story and enjoyment?

Personal Approach

Personally, I want to undertake an approach that maximizes the theme and story. Perhaps the answers I'm most interested hearing is about approaching a campaign for the first time. Playing a scenario once and moving on would seem to maximize the theme and story, but I would not want to reach the end and have a miserable time of it because my deck stinks and/or because I've taken too much trauma to have any chance at succeeding. I don't mind challenging scenarios. But I don't want to sacrifice enjoyment because I've made the wrong choices on how to play (as opposed to choices made in game). In the end, I will play through a campaign many times, but I want to make the first time count.

I am guessing that I will ultimately play more games with two investigators than with one, but for maximum immersion, I am leaning toward one investigator on Easy for my first playthrough of any given campaign. Unless I hear differently, that is. I probably won't change my mind on starting on Easy, but I am open to starting with controlling two investigators. I almost certainly will play progression style, in order to take my time with learning and experimenting with the cards.

Either One or Two Investigators for a Solo Player is fine - Roland, Pete, and Jenny are good Solos. Easy Difficulty. Construct your first decks choosing from every card you own. Play a full campaign from start to finish.

One thing all Arkham Files do well is to give you a good, playable, memorable, meaningful game while you are losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the toughest thing was learning to lose gracefully. This game can be harsh, as is fitting in the theme and sometimes in can seem bleak when victory is around the corner. I had to learn to enjoy the ride and the story and that each chapter is just that, a part of a whole and its the bigger picture that counts.

Once i did that it rapidly became one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
decaramas wrote:
For me the toughest thing was learning to lose gracefully. This game can be harsh, as is fitting in the theme and sometimes in can seem bleak when victory is around the corner. I had to learn to enjoy the ride and the story and that each chapter is just that, a part of a whole and its the bigger picture that counts.

Once i did that it rapidly became one of my favorite games.

This, big time. Roll with the punches and treat it like an RPG experience. Don't start over scenarios because you are doing poorly. Just play through and get into character. Treat it like an experience and not as a puzzle you're trying to beat and the game will come to life like very few do.

As for mechanical advise I'll leave it to people using keyboards not phones :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a fan created scenario a few times until I felt I had the rules fairly clear in my head. I would recommend The Collector or The Curse of Amulotep, both of which are in the Files section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice:

-buy the packs when they become available, cause they just might disappear for a long time. But...

-leave the scenarios aside until you have the whole campaign ready to play, it's more enjoyable if you're playing through it in a shorter time frame

-start on easy, especially if you have only 1 core set. It's very challenging even on that mode

-unless you're a min/maxer and a deep diver into LCG/CCGs, you're absolutely fine with one core set, despise what people would tell you. You can easily proxy the cards that you really want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I and my cousin have just played the core campaign scenario 1 and secondly the Curse of the Rougarou last night.

We have been loving the theme and story. The main stumbling block for us is game mechanics. This is the first LCG we have played and thus plenty of halting and checking rules ensues.

It is, however, fantastic. I feel we have just about nailed how it works now. Figuring out the Rougarou behaviour was especially tricky. Watching the first scenario playthrough by Shut Up and Sit Down was so helpful.

So to answer your question, just run with it. If you make a bad move due to misunderstanding the rules at first, accept it and drive on as it will make a good narrative anyway.

I'm now going to solo the scenarios already played to further learn the rules by heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did start with standard difficulty. Tryed ones after the first play thrue easy and was bored to death... moved back to standard!
Definitely would recommended to play without take backs. This is Archam horror. You Are suposed to die miserably or at least to go insane. Its the spirit of this game and very story like in this mythos. If investigators march from wictory to wictory, it is not Arkham anymore. It is chidrens fairytale then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Pyne
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The campaigns are designed to progress even if you "lose" individual scenarios. We "lost" the main campaign many times on Normal before beating it. But even then there are different outcomes and even a defeat is enjoyable. I would recommend normal, (Though I could see doing easy with pre-made decks).

I don't think you wan really succeed at Hard until you have a lot of extra card and experience to fine-tune the decks.

As for single player this can be a lot trickier. There are maybe 1-2 characters can can do single player on normal and not get completely stomped. The game is really designed such that a jack of all, master of none, is going to end up having a hard time. With 2 players you are sort of force into each filling one half of the needed rolls, with 3 players you open up a LOT of strategic subtle and interesting synergies. 4 players just slows the game down way to much in my opinion.

Theres not really anything that prevents you from playing two characters at one besides to "hidden weaknesses" that your not supposed to reveal but you can just not use those.

My best advice, just play on normal, and don't be miffed if things go to shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.