9 Posts

Roll Player» Forums » General

Subject: Points for dice in class colour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two times I played the game I missed the rule that we get a point for each dice in the class colour. The rules was stated very clearly, I think I must have disliked it a lot when reading them and blanked out on it. And it seems to me rightly so, I did enjoy the game more without it.

Roll player can be really strategic, with a lot of clever plays and manipulations you get 2 stars... and then twice in a row 3 white dice are pulled from the bag and your paladin opponent gets 2 stars... because they were there. This rule introduces a pure luck element, which can give quite a lot of points. Very often getting 14+ gives you one point - the same as getting a die in your colour just because it was drawn.

I can see how it adds a bit to player interaction, it is not always that easy to follow what everybody is doing and what dice they need, but it is rather easy to see this, so you can very easily hate draft. However it does seem to be the most lucky component of the game (in the sense of how much there is to be gained with so little control).

What are your opinions about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation described is infrequent at best and if you're drafting purely based on color then you're going to lose. There are a lot of things to consider when you're choosing which die to draft. The die color is just one more thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you are concerned about color, there is the search skill that lets you replace dice on your sheet with another die of the same value from the bag. I don't see how the class color rule adds any more randomness than trying to match your backstory or hoping for gold dice because you have a weapon or skill that will reward you for them. It's just another layer of decision to make, which I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
The situation described is infrequent at best and if you're drafting purely based on color then you're going to lose. There are a lot of things to consider when you're choosing which die to draft. The die color is just one more thing.

I am not saying it happens every game. But it can happen and my concern is what effect it has on the game when it does happen, i.e. giving a random advantage to one player. Drafting every time purely based on colour is a bad idea, but too often it is a good one, as one die can give you the same amount of points as completing an attribute. Personally I'd be much happier with 1 point per two dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could maybe lower the incidence of the "class color dice" by awarding 1 point for every pair of "class dice" collected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
If you are concerned about color, there is the search skill that lets you replace dice on your sheet with another die of the same value from the bag. I don't see how the class color rule adds any more randomness than trying to match your backstory or hoping for gold dice because you have a weapon or skill that will reward you for them. It's just another layer of decision to make, which I like.

As to backstory - the degree to which it does so. With back story there are jumps, e.g. you get the same amount of stars for 2-3 matched dice. And they have to be in specific spots. Class colour dice give you more points per dice and are less of a hassle because it does not matter where you put them. So this is a great example of the issue - backstory card requiring a lot of strategy and potentially giving less points than grabbing the dice in your colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Bloch
Poland
Sopot
flag msg tools
borsook wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

As to backstory - the degree to which it does so. With back story there are jumps, e.g. you get the same amount of stars for 2-3 matched dice. And they have to be in specific spots. Class colour dice give you more points per dice and are less of a hassle because it does not matter where you put them. So this is a great example of the issue - backstory card requiring a lot of strategy and potentially giving less points than grabbing the dice in your colour.

And not getting a correct color die for your backstory is somehow totally not random? Class color serves as a way to avoid randomness and giving more options to do so. As all "houserulers" you're looking for a problem that is not there. To add insult to injury you haven't even tried to play the game with official rules so your opinion is invalid from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necroing a thread to generalize and name call makes it very hard to take your opinion seriously. Care to try again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
livers wrote:
borsook wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

And not getting a correct color die for your backstory is somehow totally not random? Class color serves as a way to avoid randomness and giving more options to do so. As all "houserulers" you're looking for a problem that is not there. To add insult to injury you haven't even tried to play the game with official rules so your opinion is invalid from the start.

Of course I played with the RAW, which was clearly stated in the first post here, this thread was started after doing so. The difference between just taking the die and getting points and working on getting the backstory right was also already explored above in the very post you quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.