Subject: 1st vs. 2nd Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been on my radar for a couple months now, as it look like one of the best sandbox-type WW2 games available. I've now reached the point of exploring options for purchasing it. Here's my question for you all: What are the key differences between 1st and 2nd editions, and how much better practically is 2nd vs. 1st? The difference in price on the second hand market is significant.

I also read that there will probably be some tweaks in a future 3rd edition. Honestly, I can afford to wait quite a long while if that is likely to be a substantial update. Do we have any ideas what might be included in that update?

Thanks much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: !st vs. 2nd Edition?
The tweaks are slight, just a few changes in each faction's starting forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
... and if I'm not wrong, better quality of materials for 2nd edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition has a mounted map while 1st is not. There are some map changes between 1st and 2nd, but you can make these on your 1st edition map with felt tip pens which I did, so you can have effectively 2nd Ed with your 1st Edward purchase, but the 2nd does look nicer.

Per the designer 3rd is only likely to be a few very minor rule tweeks, so you may as well go ahead now, its a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get 2nd if you can due to printed tweaks and upgraded materials, but 1st is still totally playable, especially with living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I'll try for 2nd edition, but if I can save a good bit then I'll go for 1st.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ASelby wrote:
2nd edition has a mounted map while 1st is not. There are some map changes between 1st and 2nd, but you can make these on your 1st edition map with felt tip pens which I did, so you can have effectively 2nd Ed with your 1st Edward purchase, but the 2nd does look nicer.

Per the designer 3rd is only likely to be a few very minor rule tweeks, so you may as well go ahead now, its a great game.

What exactly is different about the map then, other than that it's mounted? I own the 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iirc, a mtn border between Glasgow and London, and turning Azores into a strait in the middle if the Atlantic four point junction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And Northern Ireland has come into existence, while the Mid-Western U.S. has disappeared. Also, there's a change to the way you access Sudan from Egypt. Finally, Poland has been moved back into Eastern Europe.

Just kidding about Poland.

Just get the second edition. Trust me, it's much, much nicer in quality! If you play the game a lot, you won't regret the extra dough.

Dieter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both editions and am looking for an easy way to use the 2nd edition. Did any of the cards or blocks change (other than the color).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The blocks and the cards remain the same. The initial setup and the map has been updated, and there are a few rules updates.

Dieter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DieterS wrote:
The blocks and the cards remain the same. The initial setup and the map has been updated, and there are a few rules updates.

Dieter

Is there a complete overview of the changes somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here you go, Willem. Enjoy!

Dieter

1936 Setup
Removed 3cv Russian Infantry in Moscow
Added 1cv British Infantry in Karachi
Added 1cv British Fort in Gibraltar

Map and Board
Added Towns in Gibraltar and Malta
Added USA Influence flag in 1941

Azores = Straits
Canada = British Home Territory
Canada = Single area (no Prairies)

Canada-New York = Forest
London-Glasgow = Mountains
Petsamo-Murmansk = Forest
Rumania-Bulgaria = River
Rumania-Belgrade = River
Kars-Tabriz = Mountains
Sahara extends to Suez

Rule Changes
16.6 Hegemony Victory: Blockade effects are excluded
18.0 Two Player Rules: *Half* of Initial Action cards go to Passive Stack, half to Hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.