Divine Right» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 4-player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a four-player game of Divine Right last night. Tom and I had played before, Jake and Griff were learning for the first time. This is not a blow-by-blow, just a general outline of what happened.

Tom drew Immer, a northern kingdom of men. Jake drew Elfland, immediately to the west of Immer, and Griff drew Hothior, south of Elfland and Immer. Away to the east I had the Black Hand. The first few turns saw consolidation of armies and a search for allies. Griff had the early advantage when he enlisted the aid of next door naval power Mivior, but then squandered it by doing nothing. Jake recruited a stack of barbarians and started to march on Immer. Tom grabbed the dwarves, who happened to be +1 in combat and marched them towards the Black Hand, who had headed to the ancient battlefield to raise undead. I was lucky and grabbed Shucassam and Muetar as allies. I allowed the dwarves to fight my leader so that I could play a recent battlefield. I survived the attack, raised a Colossus, and the dwarves had to retreat.

In the middle game, Jake reversed course and sent his barabarians plus his elves to besiege the dwarven castle north of Elfland. It was the scene of bitter fighting, and it was never captured the entire game. Griff grabbed the goblins of Zorn, to the east of Immer, and started to attack Tom from behind. Tom assassinated the the goblin leader, and Zorn went into disarray. Unfortunately, Tom rolled snake eyes on the random events table and the dwarven monarch died and the dwarves deactivated. Griff also moved down the coast to attack Shucassam. I moved all my troops and Pon's troops to surround the dwarf castles in the far east, and sacrificed two Shucassam units at the Altar of Greystaff to Firestorm Griff's large stack of troops. I enlisted the Black Knight and his Substaff guards, stacked him with Shucassam units, and invaded Hothior

In the end game, Griff played the Usurper card and regained Zorn, while Tom deactivated Muetar on me, only to see Jake grab them and invade Immer. Tom regained the dwarves, but I sacked one of their castles, invaded Mivior with Rombune and sacked the royal castle, and captured Griff's monarch and executed him. With a 70-point victory lead, and no armies to challenge my southern forces, the other two conceded the game to me.

Everybody enjoyed the game, and loved the special rules like the Lepers, the Temple of Kings, all the special mercenaries, and the monarch personality cards. We plan to give it another go in the future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Garland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Dukes we despise, Kings we cannot be, Gamers are we!
mbmbmbmbmb

Original version or 30th Anniversary?

Long live Zanwee the Decadent and Cemoi the Wanton!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man I wish I had a copy of this game - it sounds amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OneTinSoldier wrote:

Original version or 30th Anniversary?

Long live Zanwee the Decadent and Cemoi the Wanton!

Original version - won it off ebay 10 years ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even fit in all the fun stuff like Tom getting the Helm of Wisdom from the Temple of the Kings and then I used Greystaff to send an Imp to steal it. We had an air dragon and Oggsberg the ogre and Julute Wolfheart and the flying order of the Hippogriffs, and white magic and naval battles and all sorts of stuff.

This game is SO RANDOM, like Talisman. Don't play it if that much randomness will kill your fun. I see it as an additional challenge - the best player should still win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galvornman wrote:

Try PYDR, the free PBEM version. Go to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pydr25/files and open the file called PYDR25 Installation Guide.zip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makofan wrote:
I didn't even fit in all the fun stuff like Tom getting the Helm of Wisdom from the Temple of the Kings and then I used Greystaff to send an Imp to steal it. We had an air dragon and Oggsberg the ogre and Julute Wolfheart and the flying order of the Hippogriffs, and white magic and naval battles and all sorts of stuff.

This game is SO RANDOM, like Talisman. Don't play it if that much randomness will kill your fun. I see it as an additional challenge - the best player should still win

Hoo boy, are you gonna like DR3. Same look and feel of DR1 but with so many additional elements--mages, priests, gold--heck, there's even a fleet in Aws Noir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...a fleet in Aws Noir!

An air fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. McCrackan
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makofan wrote:
...a fleet in Aws Noir!

An air fleet?

Nope. DR3 introduces riverports, ports for riverine fleets (RFs). RFs can sail up and down many of the rivers on the map, although they don't fare well on the high seas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McCrackan wrote:
galvornman wrote:

Try PYDR, the free PBEM version. Go to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pydr25/files and open the file called PYDR25 Installation Guide.zip.

Log in to your Yahoo account to access the content? I have totally forgotten whatever Yahoo credentials I might have had. Anyone have a link that's open?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.