Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title, can’t find reviews or videos on this game. Anyone know of any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only know that it's a very fun game.
The cards you draw can change the race in a second.

If you're into horse racing, I highly recommend this game.

There's only one race in the game and you make an auction for the horses to start with, but you can skip this by simply shuffle the cards with the horses and hand them out. You can be 2-6 players and still use all the horses.
You draw a race card when your horse stops on a horse shoe. Any thing can happen when a card is drawn. Your horse can get a bonus, top-3 can be in trouble, and so on.
You race for one and a half lap (or almost two laps) and on the last lap, the race cards are switched with another deck of cards for the final! These cards can be even more brutal! But I won't lift the lid on these.
How do you move your horses then? Each horse as a certain number of energy and the player picks the number of energy to use. One energy is one space. Don't land on the hedges and do you dare to take the chance on a horse shoe?
Do you use maximum energy each turn, your horse won't make it to the finish line and you have to rely on the bonuses from the race cards. But you could also lose your horse this way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rene, I think I’ve seen you around Race formula 90 forums and Rallyman I think too. I respect your opinion because I think we have some similar tastes.

Anyhow just bagged a copy of Ebay.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.
I bought mine for £60 plus postage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Agree, Rene won't steer you wrong, the man has good taste! Hey I hope you like Grand National, I think it is the best in the Horse Race genre. I like Turf Master a lot too. But Grand National to me is more satisfying because there are just so many more horses that it's harder to figure out who's gonna win in the end. I think that's part of the reason I'm a big Thunder Alley fan too.

Check out my thread on here, "My Analysis". I give some good general info on the game and rules. Rene's interpretations were very helpful too for me. I read the rulebook over and over and some stuff they don't really explain or they leave out altogether. So I made some house rules which I think I laid out mostly in the analysis thread.

I plan on doing a Video Review of this soon, my very first btw. I was waiting on my new gaming table to arrive and it finally made it a few weeks ago. I might need to invest in a better camera.

I notice you like Thunder Alley too. Keep an eye on some of those forums as I plan on posting some of my hopefully upcoming 1:24 scale season that I'll be running with large tracks thanks to Grandsage (Rick)! Also keep an eye on Turfmaster Forums as Rick is going to be putting together a larger scale league of that on soon with his gaming group. I think I might attempt that with Grand National!

Happy Gaming!

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thunder Alley too!
1:24!!!!!!
Damn, I once bought a box with 10-12 of those nascars but couldn't find any use for them, so I sold them all too cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had plans to build the different hedges - even bought a book about Steeplechase - when I had played the games a couple of times.
Might just give it a go, when I'm done with my 28mm ACW Union miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I have Thunder Alley and I like that one too.

@Chris thanks for the pointers mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.