Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In every single Mythos pack I have opened (I have the whole Dunwich cycle), the plastic shrinkwrap on the cards has been incredibly sticky. Like touched-by-a-toddler sticky. Is this normal for these cards, or did I somehow get six bad batches?

Things have been pretty warm here (over 100) and we can't run the air all the time. Could that have caused the plastic to somehow degrade?

Now, the cards usually feel fine when they come out of the plastic. But last time I broke out the game, the cards themselves and the Chaos Bag tokens were also feeling sticky. The chaos tokens are actually sticking to each other in the bag. I feel like this must be an unrelated issue, but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced this. This isn't an issue with other games I have been playing, but I am very sensitive to tactile sensations so I may be blowing it out of proportion.

P.S. I also keep my cards organized in the box by putting them in fold-top sandwich bags. I am worried that is somehow responsible for the cards' stickiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Winning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can have that issue sometimes with cards since I live in St. Louis. It's incredibly humid here so cards tend to stick together. If it is humid where you live I would recommend not keeping them in the plastic bags. Having a dehumidifier in my house has worked wonders for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha M
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the whole Dunwich cycle from MM couple weeks ago, and last two mythos packs had sticky wrapping. The cards seemed fine, but it was indeed odd how the package wrapping was sticky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the wrappers felt kinda tacky. Same with the last couple Star Wars packs, come to think of it. At least on the outside. The cards were fine, and I didn't feel the same tackiness on the inside of the wrapper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Yeah, the wrappers felt kinda tacky. Same with the last couple Star Wars packs, come to think of it. At least on the outside. The cards were fine, and I didn't feel the same tackiness on the inside of the wrapper.

Good, this has been my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since FFG went with clamshell packaging the shrink has been a bit tacky. It doesn't seem to come off on my hands tho so I'm not too freaked out. But it's definitely the new normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
Ever since FFG went with clamshell packaging the shrink has been a bit tacky. It doesn't seem to come off on my hands tho so I'm not too freaked out. But it's definitely the new normal.

Same here. I've experienced sticky (greasy?) shinkwrap in the Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror AP clamshells. But the cards themselves are fine. I'll usually wash my hands after peeling off the shrinkwrap and never have problems. I do also sleeve my cards and I used coin capsules for the chaos tokens. So I can't speak to them getting sticky over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
But last time I broke out the game, the cards themselves and the Chaos Bag tokens were also feeling sticky. The chaos tokens are actually sticking to each other in the bag. I feel like this must be an unrelated issue, but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced this. This isn't an issue with other games I have been playing, but I am very sensitive to tactile sensations so I may be blowing it out of proportion.

What is the humidity like where you live? Between heat and humidity a lot of times the protective coating on the printed material can become tacky and would cause the sticking that you are experiencing. Sleeves and coin capsules should help to reduce or eliminate this. Also if your stuff isn't sleeved already after playing for a bit on those conditions dirt and oils from hands will build up and increase that "sticky" feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.