Hide
25 Posts

Aeon's End: War Eternal» Forums » General

Subject: Umbra Titan seems REALLY hard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Doyen
msg tools
I've taken 7 shots at it so far and have yet to kill it! I think the furthest I knocked it down was high teens/low twenties. I have beaten the Carapace Queen, Rageborne, and Prince of Gluttons after a few plays but I just can't seem to get any closer to cracking this one. Randomized the market via the 1st market card and tried different random combos of mages each game. Even had healing and Gravehold recovery cards in the market in my last game. Is the level 3 (or is it 4? I can't remember..) difficulty a typo? wow Anyone have any tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Most token losses on UT are avoidable. This means the tokens are essentially a cost you can pay to negate some of its nastier effects, not something you should be holding onto at all costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Little
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play the same setup (market, mages, nemesis) a few times in a row. That helps me understand how all the parts can work together. The game is difficult. It may not hurt to craft a market for a specific nemesis. To me part of the fun is crafting a plan and executing it. Sometimes a random market or mage combination is just too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most common mistakes we've seen is players won't start getting damage early enough and end up overwhelmed by minions. Depending on your player count, it may be appropriate to have one player start getting damage from almost the first turn. After a bit of investment in spells, they can often transition into money or another role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Helfer
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and when you say "getting damage", you mean buying damaging spells, right? As opposed to building up your gems and relics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat him first try. It was close, but I managed it. Now that I have a better idea how he works, I'm betty I can take him down most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I find it really interesting that you say that, ddoyen. I've only had the pleasure of playing Umbra Titan once so far, and we just DESTROYED him. I mean, totally burnt him to a crisp. We used the recommended initial market setup, too.

In fact, he was so easy that I'm concerned that we did something wrong. XD I don't think so, though, since I've read the rulebook multiple times...

I wouldn't really call myself a veteran Aeon's End player, either; I've only played about 7 games total. Out of the 4 nemeses I've played so far in the original, I never have ANY problems against Rageborne and Carapace Queen, but I find Crooked Mask to put up a good fight, and I think Blight Lord can be pretty tricky with a randomized market.

So, I came away from Umbra Titan a little unimpressed with his difficulty. It's actually a relief to hear that, apparently, he can put up a fight under certain circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
I really think it comes down to how you see the nemesis tokens. Since there's a fairly small number of them and they can't be recovered, it's easy to make the assumption that losing a single one is an Absolutely Terrible Thing and should be avoided at all costs (especially if you don't know what the token loss effects are), so any effect that's "lose X counters or (extremely damaging effect)" is seen as "(extremely damaging effect), no viable alternative". If you can see past that fallacy and realize that the only nemesis token that matters is the last and with a few exceptions you have full control over whether or not you lose tokens, they become a currency that you can use to prevent UT's nastier effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doyen
msg tools
I'm happy to report that I was able to pull off a pretty comfortable win devil

Adjusting to get some low cost spells in one of the mages deck before gobbling up gems helped to keep the minions from overwhelming me. That one simple adjustment made a world of difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He was tough but I pulled it off on the first go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
KoshKing777 wrote:
I find it really interesting that you say that, ddoyen. I've only had the pleasure of playing Umbra Titan once so far, and we just DESTROYED him. I mean, totally burnt him to a crisp. We used the recommended initial market setup, too.

In fact, he was so easy that I'm concerned that we did something wrong. XD I don't think so, though, since I've read the rulebook multiple times...

I wouldn't really call myself a veteran Aeon's End player, either; I've only played about 7 games total. Out of the 4 nemeses I've played so far in the original, I never have ANY problems against Rageborne and Carapace Queen, but I find Crooked Mask to put up a good fight, and I think Blight Lord can be pretty tricky with a randomized market.

So, I came away from Umbra Titan a little unimpressed with his difficulty. It's actually a relief to hear that, apparently, he can put up a fight under certain circumstances.

You want a tough fight? Give the Gate Witch a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lost 3 times in a row now. Using a random market with 4 players. Played original Aeon's End 2 player and I remember it being easier than this. Is it harder with more players or are we just not used to this new set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
new set is harder and 4p tends to be much than 2p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
In 4p, you have to specialize. You don't have nearly enough turns to make a generically good deck that can do nearly everything, so you need to look at the market and figure out one or two things you can do well that will help the team, and how you can make that synergize with the other players' chosen-things-they-do-well. It's certainly harder, but it's harder in a way that's really rewarding as it reveals new layers of strategy that are kind of deemphasized in 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's basically what we did and we managed to win tonight =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Ethereality wrote:
KoshKing777 wrote:

You want a tough fight? Give the Gate Witch a shot.

I actually tried Umbra Titan again last night, this time with three players instead of two. It was the closest victory we've ever had! (Only one Gravehold HP left, and only one Nemesis token left!) Somehow, we managed to blast him to 0 life before we lost, but, man - it was definitely a lot tougher than the previous play! I blame inefficient playing, plus the usual additional challenge involved when adding more players to this game.

So; I retract my earlier smack talking of Umbra Titan! XD

I am fascinated and terrified by Gate Witch; she's the only Nemesis that I'm actually scared to attempt! I doubt my friends would want to attempt her just yet, but I can't wait to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie L

New Jersey
msg tools
This thread spooked me a bit, but my wife and I were able to beat it pretty soundly yesterday using the recommended initial market setup. We will see how Maiden of Thorns goes tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won on my first game with the suggested setup (2 player, Mist + Gex against the Umbra Titan). It wasn't super easy, but not that difficult either. There was 3 Umbra Titan tokens left, Gravehold HP was at 7, and there was 2 powerful Nemesis Power cards that would have fired in 1 and 2 turn away but we still manage to kill the Umbra Titan before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
For those of you that beat the nemesis first try... I'm interested to know what you do next? I haven't received the game yet so I don't really know how it works but I hear a lot of reviews saying 'endless replayability'

If you beat all the nemesis easily, what's the next goal? Is there a hard mode? Or do you just use different mages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
For those of you that beat the nemesis first try... I'm interested to know what you do next? I haven't received the game yet so I don't really know how it works but I hear a lot of reviews saying 'endless replayability'

If you beat all the nemesis easily, what's the next goal? Is there a hard mode? Or do you just use different mages?

Every nemesis has a more difficult setup option mentioned on its mat, so that's probably the first step to take to make it harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:

Here are we are proceeding right now:

We play all the Nemesis in order or difficulty until we beat them easily. For example, yesterday we played against the Maiden of Thorns, and we first lost, then we won on our second game (with the same market but my wife changed character to help us with her), but we will still play her with a new market and a new nemesis deck next time to make sure we have really figured her out. Then we will go on up the difficulty scale this way. Then, we will probably restart again with the Umbra Titan but with the increased difficulty settings, and up again the difficulty scale. So just playing this way, I figure that I will play the 8 Nemesis of War Eternal + new expansions at least 32 to 48 times. And then we can always play against the same Nemesis even if we once won against it, as the market setup, the nemesis deck setup and the player's characters also make some big differences. So yes there is really a great variability between games to games which lead to great replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Gregolution wrote:

Umbra Titan is the introductory nemesis. The starting setup (the 3 decks marked with STOP when you first open the box) is an even easier variant of it, with the deck stacked to be extra-forgiving. Winning that setup on your first try is nothing to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodi de Boer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Gregolution wrote:

Umbra Titan is the introductory nemesis. The starting setup (the 3 decks marked with STOP when you first open the box) is an even easier variant of it, with the deck stacked to be extra-forgiving. Winning that setup on your first try is nothing to worry about.

I must be terribly bad then haha! Got the game, tried the starting setup solo with two mages and really got smacked down. I think I got a little bad luck as well in how the turns went, Gex not getting any opportunity to take top card of other discard, but I’m no veteran in deck builders either. I think this is my first real deck builder I play, although I did watch and read enough about them and played some engine building stuff before.

But I can’t wait to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean itsasecret
United States
California
flag msg tools
When I first played against Rageborn (intro boss of AE) I thought it was SOOO hard. I have now played the game many times and it's honestly not that difficult haha. Once you start playing more you learn what you need to prioritize in deckbuilding and recognizing potential consequences you need to prepare for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bross
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took my group of 3 players three tries to beat him on the starting scenario setup, and even on our win it came down to the luck of a draw (drew a Wild rather than a nemesis).

It just felt like there was no time at all to even begin trying to ramp up an economy or spells/breaches before you had to spend your resources fending off attacks and minion powers. Sure, you could take a few hits instead during tier 1 to help but even with that you'd end up leaving a minion or two hanging, dealing unleashes, quickly whittling away nemesis tokens. Then in Tier 2 minions just wreak havoc and even though you're stronger you're barely able to deal with the nemesis because you can't let those minions linger. Or you end up having to discard lots of cards or lose spells to stop attack cards. It felt relentless and too punishing, despite it supposing to be an intro, "easier" scenario.

We're 3 fairly experienced gamers, and we devised strategies and synergies, and yet it still felt insanely hard and close to impossible. Again, we only won by the luck of a single last draw of a wild turn order rather than one of the two nemesis cards, and a few early game draws that were a bit less punishing than the previous two attempts.

We're all having a hard time wrapping our heads around the fact that some people find this too easy (even implied on the setup sheet) and others, like us, find it hard to the point of agony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.