Aeon's End: War Eternal» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian smolinski

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
1) Would this nemesis effect trigger the "destroy" effect of the player card?

2) The Hollow Crown's Unleash ability says to resolve the blood magic effect of the acolyte with the highest life. What if there are multiple acolytes with the highest life? Do you trigger the one that has been in play the longest? Or both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) I would say no because that is part of its cast effect, and you have to destroy a card that is "in hand." Kevin may chime in, but I don't think those Nemesis cards are really designed to help you.

2.) I'm guessing if there are two acolytes that the group chooses which one received the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I'm nearly certain that the "You may destroy this. If you do..." part of the text is part of the Cast ability only, so if you destroy it in any other way, you will not be able to have Gravehold gain 4 life since you are not casting the card at that time.

2. In any ambiguous case, the players make the determination on which of the acolyte's abilities takes effect. This is part of the rule on p. 18 of Ambiguity "when it's not clear what or whom should be affected." (in this case it's what acolyte happens).

I do have a slight clarifying question on Negate though, when I first read the card, I though that the Unleash twice always happens, then you also choose between the "destroy card" and "unleash twice. Gravehold suffers 3 damage" due to the gap under the first Unleash. This doesn't seem quite right as unleashing 4x AND having Gravehold suffer 3 damage seems too extreme for a level 2 card, but it would be nice to be certain of the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
An OR is supposed to separate the entire card regardless of spacing. Pulverizing Ray is the one that's actually wrong (as written, it only does 3 damage if unmitigated, but the intent is obviously for it to be 18 damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Negate is split into two distinct chunks. Regardless of your choice, it cannot unleash 4 times.

'You may destroy' effects will not trigger when something else forces you to destroy that card. In that case, the card would have to say "When destroyed" or something to that effect.

When there's a tie, the players choose how the effect will resolve. So if multiple acolytes have the same amount of life, players choose which one's effect will resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
Negate is split into two distinct chunks.

I was also confused by Negate, because the first chunk has a line break after "Unleash twice" while the second chunk does not. This lead me to believe that perhaps the top "Unleash twice" was universal, and then the two chunks were below.

Kevin, is there an official clarification file/thread for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of a clarification space: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27036243#27036243
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.