Jungo Jungo
msg tools
I have been playing around with adding some traps cards in the event deck with the intent of increasing the difficulty and hopefully not slowing the game down. Here are some of the traps i have been using.

Fire Token:

Boulder Token:

Pit Token:

The full list of traps and tokens i have made can be found here:

UPDATE: 01/10/2017 - I have updated the file link below to include Door Cards and a Separate Trap Deck (if desired) - Version 1.5

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/152700/event-deck-trap-ca...

I have been using these traps with good results so far. The game is harder as the traps can take a game that is going smoothly and suddenly make it challenging for the heroes. Also, they add some decisions for the heroes in terms of where/which hero should be effected by the trap. Sometimes it means letting the weaker hero take damage from the trap so that the trap isn't positioned where it is blocking a key corridor. Or positioning the trap somewhere it is likely to also damage enemy monsters.

On the downside, if a trap is pulled while heroes are still at level 1 the trap can be devastating. I have been mixing 5 traps into the event deck once heroes have reached level 2.

I think it would be cool to have a separate trap deck that could either be triggered from an event card or a door card. Even better if the heroes had ability stats that would allow them to test an ability and avoid the trap (similar to Dungeon Quest or Descent).

Please try them out and let me know what you think.

UPDATE: 01/10/2017

Added some samples of Door Cards I am using.

Also I have created a separate topic to test out a Boss Monster design.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1857620/tribals-custom-boss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Event Deck Tarp Cards - Need some feedback and play testing
I took one look at that Boulder token and thought: "I need to paint a Ping-Pong Ball stone-grey"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TribalBrute wrote:
On the downside, if a trap is pulled while heroes are still at level 1 the trap can be devastating. I have been mixing 5 traps into the event deck once heroes have reached level 2.

Hi mate

Great ideas here.

You could just put 'ignore this card if you're on level 1' like some of the other cards do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monty Soh
United States
California
flag msg tools
I use a similar house rule for traps. Here are my suggestions:

- Make the trap tokens double sided. One side will be a generic "trap image" and the other side will be either the flame, boulder, blades, etc.
- A hero can roll a dice (a D6 for example) for chance to disarm the trap.
- A 1-3 roll will disarm the trap and remove it from the board.
- A 4-5 will activate the trap and apply it's effects to the hero.
- A 6 will disarm the trap but it will be left in place unrevealed. Heroes can safely walk over the trap. Any monsters that walk over the trap thereafter will automatically set off the trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1160955. jmartian
  • 1d6 =
  • (2) =
  • Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 pm
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas and work here! Event, door, and treasure cards could all use a little more variety. So I'll be looking forward to your progress here.

FYI your post title says TARP, which I believe should be TRAP
Also this post certainly deserves a space on the database thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1835924/massive-darkness-va...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
slim17 wrote:
TribalBrute wrote:

Hi mate

Great ideas here.

You could just put 'ignore this card if you're on level 1' like some of the other cards do?

This is a good idea and easy to implement. I will add this to my next version (if I can fit the text in 🙂)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Re: Event Deck Trap Cards - Need some feedback and play testing
Suspence wrote:
Great ideas and work here! Event, door, and treasure cards could all use a little more variety. So I'll be looking forward to your progress here.

FYI your post title says TARP, which I believe should be TRAP
Also this post certainly deserves a space on the database thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1835924/massive-darkness-va...

blush updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Mightyjim wrote:
I took one look at that Boulder token and thought: "I need to paint a Ping-Pong Ball stone-grey"

And then you could hum Indiana jones theme music as it rolls down the dungeon corridor... hopefully crushing your enemies and not your heroes 😀.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I definitely like this. Need some for chests as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have a suggestion for an event, you flip it over and it's Mimic (man-eating treasure chest monsters in disguise)

The card would have the enemy info right there on it, and you'd spawn a equipment card with it. There could also be an interesting Variety of Mimics, like some that deal wounds as discarding items or stunning the hero when they appear.

But I look forward to using more traps and diverse events. Still running through the core game a few more times, and then moving on to the loads of fan made fun like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Suspence wrote:
I do have a suggestion for an event, you flip it over and it's Mimic (man-eating treasure chest monsters in disguise)

The card would have the enemy info right there on it, and you'd spawn a equipment card with it. There could also be an interesting Variety of Mimics, like some that deal wounds as discarding items or stunning the hero when they appear.

But I look forward to using more traps and diverse events. Still running through the core game a few more times, and then moving on to the loads of fan made fun like this.

Sounds like a good idea. However, the reason I want something separate for traps than door events is the one that opens the door will get hit with all the traps. I was thinking of putting some trap cards in the equipment decks sort of like SDE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Suspence wrote:

OK so here is a first cut of the Mimic trap:

I wanted to write some flavor text like "what you thought was a treasure is actually a ravenous Mimic ... and its eating your face!! but i couldnt fit it in.... cry The size of the card doesn't provide much room to work with. I wonder if the monster stat card would be better as a separate card?

I also created a generic trap card so you could put them in whatever deck you wanted and have the player draw a card from a separate Trap Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TribalBrute wrote:
Suspence wrote:

OK so here is a first cut of the Mimic trap:

I wanted to write some flavor text like "what you thought was a treasure is actually a ravenous Mimic ... and its eating your face!! but i couldnt fit it in.... cry The size of the card doesn't provide much room to work with. I wonder if the monster stat card would be better as a separate card?

I also created a generic trap card so you could put them in whatever deck you wanted and have the player draw a card from a separate Trap Deck.

This looks cool

You could even change the size of the trap cards to be the size of Guard Cards if it means fitting the text.

Or the Mimic Card can be relegated to the Starting Equipment Cards, like the Lifebringer. So it is placed on the table during quest setup. In this way the stats will be on that card, while the trap card will have the flavor text and any special rules when spawning a mimic.

Last thought that I had, kinda off subject of traps. BUT, it'd be a cool idea if the "special treasure +" on door cards meant: "spawn a mimic with a treasure card one level higher...." I'd like to test the idea, but this would definitely increase the danger in door cards.

Good work, appreciate your effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Mimic get one attack roll that each hero resolves? Or a separate attack roll for each hero in the space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I want to do some more things like this with the Door cards... traps, empty rooms, and secret passages!

I noticed EVERY door card had guards or monster of some type. I want to have some "mystery" to it. I think these trap cards are great for doors as well.

I may start with something simple such a random table d6:

1-2 - empty room!
3-4 - pull door card as normal
5 - Trap!
6 - secret passage! Roll d6 again once a character decides to take the passage!
===1-2 goes back one tile randomly pick room
===3-4 goes to another room on the same tile
===5-6 goes one tile forward; randomly determine the room

secret passage causes another movement action (1 point move, 1 point door). Perform another door check go into the room if it has not yet been explored ignoring another secret passage roll.

NOTE: if you were to use something like this, you are now only getting treasure 1/3 the time you were before, so I would not use any other loot modifiers / homebrew!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
d10 variant

1-2 - empty room!
3-6 - pull Door card as normal
7 - Trap! (room is empty)
8 - Waiting for you! Trap! and then Door card
9 - Trapped Passage! Resolve a Trap! first, then roll secret passage below
10 - Unknown hidden passage! roll secret passage below

Secret Passage! Roll d6
===3-4 goes to another room on the same tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomgrin wrote:
6 - secret passage! Roll d6 again

If you're on the first tile does it resolve on the same tile?

Doomgrin wrote:

If you're on the last tile does it resolve on the same tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Carcking wrote:
Doomgrin wrote:

Doomgrin wrote:

I was spitballing, but I would say yes to both. I also need to work out how the mobs and roamers react/use the secret passages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomgrin wrote:
Carcking wrote:
Doomgrin wrote:

Doomgrin wrote:

I was spitballing, but I would say yes to both. I also need to work out how the mobs and roamers react/use the secret passages.

I was just curious what you had I mind. I like what you're doing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bevan Langford
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Love your work on the Trap cards!
I am working on a complete overhaul for the rules of massive darkness (still in playtesting) and would love to not only include traps like these but further expand other decks. So;
What do you use to make your cards? (editor)
Do you mind if I use them as part of an overhaul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Bionicall wrote:
Love your work on the Trap cards!
I am working on a complete overhaul for the rules of massive darkness (still in playtesting) and would love to not only include traps like these but further expand other decks. So;
What do you use to make your cards? (editor)
Do you mind if I use them as part of an overhaul?

I have been using photoshop elements - great tool! Someone else posted the event card template I have been using to build the cards on. Help yourself to the traps. I am glad to see people are interested in using them . Please thumbs up this post if you like what you see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Carcking wrote:
Does the Mimic get one attack roll that each hero resolves? Or a separate attack roll for each hero in the space?

I was going to have it make a separate attack against each hero in the same zone... but to be honest i havent had a chance to try it out yet. I am planning to play this weekend with a group of friends (and planning to sneak in my custom traps!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Lots of great ideas here!

I have created some Door Cards as potential examples and I made a separate back for a Trap Deck card if you want to keep the traps on their own. In the near future I will update the link at the top and add the new cards to the file.

Door Back

Blank Door Template

Door - Trap

Trap Deck Back

I know it was mentioned that the Hero opening the door is at risk of taking the beating from the traps... but that is part of what i like in Zombicide. Its that tense feeling of opening the door and not knowing whats behind it - and then opening it to see 5 undead hungry wolves staring at you ... and wishing you had left the door for your buddy to open.

Please thumb the thread up if you like whats been posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
We played another game session this weekend and the trap cards worked great! They definitely add to increase the intensity of the game. The suggestion to change the traps so that they are ignored at level one works great. I also really liked the suggestion to have the option of the traps to trigger from opening the door. So i have added some custom door cards (below).
It also hit me that when opening a door often the monsters that appeared we would steamroll over before they had a chance to act (especially when characters were past level 1). So I created some beefed up Door Cards that will increase the number of monsters that show up that will need some play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I ordered some card sleeves to print and give these a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jungo Jungo
msg tools
Doomgrin wrote:
I ordered some card sleeves to print and give these a go!

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how they worked for you. Hopefully they don't wipe your party. 😀

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.