Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
251 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: My patience ran out for the NFL today rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Today was the last straw for me watching NFL. Myself and my buddy won't watch it on tv anymore. That's two less ratings, that'll show em, right?

Too much non sport drama, too much politics, too many over-privileged scumbags.
At least my son is really getting into golf - a sport with real skill.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you object to, the fact that players took a knee during anthem, or the fact that Trump said the players should be fired for doing it?

28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Huh? I watched the games and there was little to no non-sports drama. Tons of drama on the field.

Well, lots of other great stuff to watch... enjoy .

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because American football is boring? Two seconds of action for every thirty seconds of play time.
16 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Politics is so ingrained in sports anyway so I always find it weird when people say "keep politics out of sports"
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Did you properly stand for the anthem at home? Does it bother you when people take the anthem time for using the restroom or buying a hot dog? What about the people who booed the players for kneeling during the anthem, does that verbal booing during the anthem bother you as much as someone silently on their knee?

And why is being on your knee seen as disrespectful anyway? What does a knight do in front of their king/queen? Are they being disrespectful?

This whole thing is so fucking stupid. Respect the anthem and our country and the freedom it stands for, but no, you can't use your freedom however you want. People who object to the players are hypocrites and need to own it.

63 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:
Politics is so ingrained in sports anyway so I always find it weird when people say "keep politics out of sports"


Which sports and which teams? I ask because that has not been my experience as a sports fan.


Well, for a start, you routinely incorporate your anthem and dogma (sing the anthem, stand for the anthem and flag) into your sports, do you not? How is that not political?

Also the very act of taking sides in sports, supporting your team over the others, and all that flows from that basic position - that's political as well (remember - politics is not limited to what politicians do in your house of assembly).
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
5537
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Today was the last straw for me watching NFL. Myself and my buddy won't watch it on tv anymore. That's two less ratings, that'll show em, right?

Too much non sport drama, too much politics, too many over-privileged scumbags.
At least my son is really getting into golf - a sport with real skill.


If the athletes want to engage in protests and speak out in their off time, fine. Have a ball.
But when they are on national TV in uniform, they need to stand up and show appreciation to a country that makes it possible for them to be paid millions to play a game.
Keep in mind too that the league threatened to fine any player that wore cleats commemorating 9/11.
I've been a Seahawks fan since I moved to Washington 22 years ago. My jerseys, t-shirts & caps are all in a box out in the garage now.
I'll start following rugby or Australian Rules Football.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they'd just stop with the anthem and the whole overt patriotism at the start of games. It started back when the fervor for patriotism was high and they wanted to co-opt sports into it. Just let it go. It's not needed.

You can't force patriotism into a place where it doesn't belong and then complain when someone else uses it for "politics."
90 
 Thumb up
2.82
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:
Politics is so ingrained in sports anyway so I always find it weird when people say "keep politics out of sports"


Which sports and which teams? I ask because that has not been my experience as a sports fan.


Just about all of them. Any team with a stadium funded any amount by tax payers. People in Glendale have worse social services due to cuts to those to keep the Coyotes around. The Raiders are moving pretty much because they can't get the funding from the local government.

The only reason the NFL even stands for the anthem is because in 2009 they decided to do it because marketing said it made the players look more patriotic. The Department of Defense and National Guard dumped millions into teams in the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and NASCAR to get them to do more military themed things.

It's already ingrained in sports.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
JLPreiser wrote:
If the athletes want to engage in protests and speak out in their off time, fine. Have a ball.
But when they are on national TV in uniform, they need to stand up and show appreciation to a country that makes it possible for them to be paid millions to play a game.
Keep in mind too that the league threatened to fine any player that wore cleats commemorating 9/11.
I've been a Seahawks fan since I moved to Washington 22 years ago. My jerseys, t-shirts & caps are all in a box out in the garage now.
I'll start following rugby or Australian Rules Football.


Declares disgust with sport because some of the players don't stand during the Star Spangled Banner. Switches to a sport where nobody stands during the Star Spangled Banner.

53 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JLPreiser wrote:
Heliconia wrote:
Today was the last straw for me watching NFL. Myself and my buddy won't watch it on tv anymore. That's two less ratings, that'll show em, right?

Too much non sport drama, too much politics, too many over-privileged scumbags.
At least my son is really getting into golf - a sport with real skill.


If the athletes want to engage in protests and speak out in their off time, fine. Have a ball.
But when they are on national TV in uniform, they need to stand up and show appreciation to a country that makes it possible for them to be paid millions to play a game.
Keep in mind too that the league threatened to fine any player that wore cleats commemorating 9/11.
I've been a Seahawks fan since I moved to Washington 22 years ago. My jerseys, t-shirts & caps are all in a box out in the garage now.
I'll start following rugby or Australian Rules Football.


Better be careful, the AFL (the governing body that controls Aussie Rules) just came out in favour of same sex marriage.
38 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
JLPreiser wrote:

I'll start following rugby or Australian Rules Football.


Oh, well, you're going to be bitterly disappointed by the AFL's recent stand (a very public campaign in support) on marriage equality...
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
if the NFL's fans * are so hot for the flag and america - get most of those obsese fucks into uniform ready for Trumps war in Korea.

Easy to be a patriot when it's somebody else doing the dying.


* except the ones that already have been, I might not agree with the jingoism but at least they had the courage of their convictions.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
Because American football is boring? Two seconds of action for every thirty seconds of play time.


The female "Legends" football league is some exciting play right now. They have dropped the lingerie styling tho they are still in beach volleyball outfits with padding and now a better helmut and those ladys play with great intensity.

I wish we had a team in town. I think watching the NFL is worse than watching paint dry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
Today was the last straw for me watching NFL. Myself and my buddy won't watch it on tv anymore. That's two less ratings, that'll show em, right?

Too much non sport drama, too much politics, too many over-privileged scumbags.
At least my son is really getting into golf - a sport with real skill.


If you don't want it political- don't play the national anthem at the start of games.

Simple.

Perhaps the day of the anthem is gone like that of naming teams after defeated indian tribes and people.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:


This whole thing is so fucking stupid. Respect the anthem and our country and the freedom it stands for, but no, you can't use your freedom however you want. People who object to the players are hypocrites and need to own it.



I object on grounds of stupidity. The players are a) protesting against the very symbol of the country that allows them the freedom for their stupid protests, and b) protesting while they're on the job. If they want to organize protests, or marches, or sit-ins, or sing-alongs, or whatever makes them happy while they're at home or otherwise on their own time - fine. I don't agree, but knock yourselves out, you have that right.

My objection is that while they're in uniform and being paid, they're employees, and should leave their personal feelings at home. Actions they perform in uniform have the tacit support of the organization behind it, and I think this is a bad idea.

If I was in the uniform of my employer and attended political rallies, I could be disciplined - not because I don't have the right to attend rallies, but because it's not right to commit my employer to 'the cause'.

So, yeah. I'm not saying they don't have the right to protest - it's America, and within reason they can do whatever they want. I just wish they'd do it on their own time.

edited to add: to respond to a previous question in the thread, when I'm at a public event, I always stand for the anthem. Since all this has broken out, I have also been standing during the anthem while I'm at home - maybe it's silly and pointless, but I consider it my own counter protest.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The desire to stand at the singing of our national anthem should be one of choice, not force. In fact, Americans have died in the past for the right to be able to make that choice. I have no issues with someone using their choice to protest any aspect of what they believe is wrong with their government, or those in power (in this case Trump).

The fact that this is happening now has to be examined, and what you find at the root of it, when you look closely, is a divisive President, divisive politics, and flagrant nationalism (imbibed with racism). Trump need only look inward, for the answer about why this is happening.

27 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
LolaGranola wrote:


This whole thing is so fucking stupid. Respect the anthem and our country and the freedom it stands for, but no, you can't use your freedom however you want. People who object to the players are hypocrites and need to own it.



I object on grounds of stupidity. The players are a) protesting against the very symbol of the country that allows them the freedom for their stupid protests, and b) protesting while they're on the job. If they want to organize protests, or marches, or sit-ins, or sing-alongs, or whatever makes them happy while they're at home or otherwise on their own time - fine. I don't agree, but knock yourselves out, you have that right.

My objection is that while they're in uniform and being paid, they're employees, and should leave their personal feelings at home. Actions they perform in uniform have the tacit support of the organization behind it, and I think this is a bad idea.

If I was in the uniform of my employer and attended political rallies, I could be disciplined - not because I don't have the right to attend rallies, but because it's not right to commit my employer to 'the cause'.

So, yeah. I'm not saying they don't have the right to protest - it's America, and within reason they can do whatever they want. I just wish they'd do it on their own time.



Wake up and smell the coffee, it was the OWNERS today that participated in and fully sanctioned the kneel downs. If that is not a firm statement to Trump, about their stance, then I don't know what is.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
LolaGranola wrote:


This whole thing is so fucking stupid. Respect the anthem and our country and the freedom it stands for, but no, you can't use your freedom however you want. People who object to the players are hypocrites and need to own it.



I object on grounds of stupidity. The players are a) protesting against the very symbol of the country that allows them the freedom for their stupid protests, and b) protesting while they're on the job. If they want to organize protests, or marches, or sit-ins, or sing-alongs, or whatever makes them happy while they're at home or otherwise on their own time - fine. I don't agree, but knock yourselves out, you have that right.

My objection is that while they're in uniform and being paid, they're employees, and should leave their personal feelings at home. Actions they perform in uniform have the tacit support of the organization behind it, and I think this is a bad idea.

If I was in the uniform of my employer and attended political rallies, I could be disciplined - not because I don't have the right to attend rallies, but because it's not right to commit my employer to 'the cause'.

So, yeah. I'm not saying they don't have the right to protest - it's America, and within reason they can do whatever they want. I just wish they'd do it on their own time.



Wake up and smell the coffee, it was the OWNERS today that participated in and fully sanctioned the kneel downs. If that is not a firm statement to Trump, about their stance, then I don't know what is.


(shrug). I don't believe it's owner driven - honestly, I don't think the owners care. This is a personal decision from the players - which is why some stand and some sit.

It became about Trump today. It's been about lots of 'other stuff' for a lot longer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
JLPreiser wrote:
If the athletes want to engage in protests and speak out in their off time, fine. Have a ball.
But when they are on national TV in uniform, they need to stand up and show appreciation to a country that makes it possible for them to be paid millions to play a game.

Why? Are they being paid by the United States? Is there something unique about the United States that contributes to their salary? That seems unlikely since only about half of the highest paid athletes are even American or in American sports leagues.

What about the owners of the teams? Aren't the games "their own time"? I think the guy who owns the team, and by extension 1/32nd of the NFL, has a lot more say in what his players "need" to do than you do.

21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peaceful harmless protesting is fine but it is absolutely NOT fine to protest in a way that makes white dudes at home uncomfortable.

Black guys, white guys will let you know the right way to make a statement and this isn't it!
74 
 Thumb up
1.41
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another instance of Trump pandering to his base, attempting to get brownie points in a rally, sowing division as opposed to being a President that should give us a reason to "respect the country" and the "flag" as he states.

These games are private concerns, no Government dollars are on the field. Stating what the owners should or shouldn't do isn't even his place.

Trump should worry more about governing, instead of tweeting about things he thinks will score him political points. Actions speak louder than words, and so far, he seems to have a lot of people that disagree with his politics, and they are exercising their rights as individuals to protest those politics. More power to them, that they have the courage to do so. The moment we have to start worrying about the U.S., is when they no longer can.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The players aren't protesting against the US or symbols of our ideals and rights. They are protesting that there is a group of people who aren't included in the full ideals and rights of our country. When we declared independence we enshrined our ideals that all men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights. These players are protesting a failure of that.

How can anyone be mad that people are "disrespecting" the symbols of our rights and ideals but are okay that our actual ideals and rights are being abused?
48 
 Thumb up
1.52
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
jeffreyac wrote:
I object on grounds of stupidity. The players are a) protesting against the very symbol of the country that allows them the freedom for their stupid protests, and b) protesting while they're on the job. If they want to organize protests, or marches, or sit-ins, or sing-alongs, or whatever makes them happy while they're at home or otherwise on their own time - fine. I don't agree, but knock yourselves out, you have that right.

My objection is that while they're in uniform and being paid, they're employees, and should leave their personal feelings at home.


What about those who want to stand and salute during the anthem... should they be allowed to do that, or much they leave their personal feelings at home.

I'm astounded at the number of people who want players forced to salute during the anthem. That renders the gesture completely meaningless.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.