Subject: Longer game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J R
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
Is it reasonable to decide to play with the impact between the fifth and sixth timeline tile even without the Doomsday Module or would this cause balance issues? Using only Pioneers of New Earth, for example.

I have yet to actually play to round 7 and I just wish the game were a little longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOpe, the game will be fine, only suggestion is put a cap of 20 VP on evac, otherwise those with "hoardable" goals (domination, salvation) will have a great advantage over those who have fairly capped goals (harmony, and especially progress).

Basically if the game turns into a who can hoard more of X, it becomes boring. Capping the evacs will discourage people from hoarding after a while.

Also, I'd recommend playing on the A-side playerboard (so that the differences between factions aren't emphasised to a possibly broken level), and giving +1 starting energy core to everyone.

This are all untested suggestions, off the top of my head. And of course "technically" the game can now go on 8 turns, but it's unlikely it'll actually happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are u suggesting that you cap the evac conditions at 20 pts no matter what way you play? This is the first time im hearing of thos suggestion and it makes me wonder if this was a noteworthy problem the begin with.

Ive only played once which was really just a learning game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Are u suggesting that you cap the evac conditions at 20 pts no matter what way you play? This is the first time im hearing of thos suggestion and it makes me wonder if this was a noteworthy problem the begin with.

Ive only played once which was really just a learning game.

I'm pretty sure those suggestions are for the specific case of placing the impact between the fifth and sixth round, not for the game generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saying the game-as-written has a slight tendency to favour the hoarders. Making impact start later will amplify that tendencies. The game as written works, but if somebody specifically hates hoarding my go to suggestion is the 20 vp ceiling. The OP is suggesting a variant guaranteeing more actions before impact, and that will give an extra one or two "loops" to the hoarders, hence making that strategy EVEN stronger. Thus I recommended the ceiling to avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game i played i dont remember hoarding eing too much of an issue but like i said it was our first time and we were learning. I remember we felt after the impact the game finished quickly but that was because we gobbled up allof the post impact spaces. We were also aware that was going to happen.

We have had some new people join the game group so maybe there will be more of an interest to get this out more. I wouldnt mind playing it with some of the variants too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.