Subject: Looking forward to playing this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Peters
United States
Montrose
California
flag msg tools
Well after spending a few week watching some video reviews and researching the various forums on this game. I decided to buy it and I looking to am interesting gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you download the playthrough file here on BGG. The game is very procedural. The file takes you through each step (with reference to the relevant area of the rulebook).

The rulebook is not laid out very logically. However, with the file and the rules forums here, you should be able to get through each turn OK. There are enough fans of the game here to help as well. (The designer, Dan Hodges, is off doing his day job, political journalism, so is up to his eyes in Brexit and Labour Party shenanigans at the moment, therefore he isn't active here much at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of extended sequences of play on BGG files forum. Go look at them and download the one you like. It's a LOT easier to play the game from that than it is skipping around the rules. You have to have an eidetic memory to play it from the rulebook. Also it's a long game so be prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, be sure to download the extended SOP from BGG. Using it, you will almost never have to refer to the rulebook after your first read-through. You are in for a very rich and rewarding play experience. It's a fantastic game, and on my top five list of solitaire games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well after spending a few week watching some video reviews and researching the various forums on this game. I decided to buy it and I looking to am interesting gaming experience."

Great game!

I'll give my standard advice to new players:
Note very well the difference between d12 and D12 in the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
As others have said, be sure to download the extended SOP from BGG. Using it, you will almost never have to refer to the rulebook after your first read-through. You are in for a very rich and rewarding play experience. It's a fantastic game, and on my top five list of solitaire games.

Totally agree, it's an absolute belter of a game and one of the richer solitaire experiences that I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peters
United States
Montrose
California
flag msg tools
I have downloaded all of the mentioned material
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peters
United States
Montrose
California
flag msg tools
Since when have rulebooks been laidout logically!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyroger wrote:
Since when have rulebooks been laidout logically!!

Writing a good rulebook is really HARD, but some work better than others. For this one when you're sitting at the board trying to step through the turn, it's hard to find what you need in one place. The stuff on BGG helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the rulebook may look daunting the game really isn't that complicated to learn. Just follow the procedures and you will be fine. And yes, pay attention to its interesting nomenclature for "d12" versus "D12". The main thing to remember is that if your fleet is being targetted by something then you roll 2d6 (two six sided dice) because of the odds distribution. If you roll a 1d12 (one twelve sided die) then it completely throws off the odds distribution for targeting your fleet. Once you understand that then it shouldn't be any big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aly D
Scotland
Edinburgh
EH17 8LA. Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a great game you will have a blast and the actual experience of the events and decisions, amazing!
I find it really beneficial (once you get to grips with the play sequence) to build a narrative of the play which creates a rich experience too.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peters
United States
Montrose
California
flag msg tools
I finally received my copy of the game and I like all of the components. did an inventory and nothing was missing.

I like the large boards, they just on my table.

I only thing to worry about when I play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyroger wrote:
I finally received my copy of the game and I like all of the components. did an inventory and nothing was missing.

Just remember it takes quite a while to play ... and oh yeah, don't lose the war in the South Atlantic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aly D
Scotland
Edinburgh
EH17 8LA. Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyroger wrote:

Protect your Carriers at all costs! All about the decisions you make in this game.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daykz69 wrote:
Greyroger wrote:

Protect your Carriers at all costs! All about the decisions you make in this game.....

And keep the UK and the entire world happy! Yeah, no pressure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peters
United States
Montrose
California
flag msg tools
It is not about the rules, its my cat when I have the game setup on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyroger wrote:
It is not about the rules, its my cat when I have the game setup on the table.

You should rename your cat 'General Galtieri' for the duration of the game..!

I was actually amazed when I had Codeword Cromwell set up on our living room floor to play for the first time. It has the same large footprint and similar number of counters (nice and large) to WTID, yet our cat was really careful to avoid moving anything on the board - gently removing her when she ventured near for the first time seemed to reinforce the 'keep off' message, and there were just a couple of accidental nudges which were easily rectified. I was dreading that I would find counters strewn across the living room when I left it overnight for a few nights, but no. Good as gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.