Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Rules Fun With Mixing Weapon Types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So I spent some time today going over my cards and brainstorming some of the weirdness or ambiguity I could come up with regarding mixing and matching action/weapon types. I've tried to include in this post how "legit" I feel an item is (how close to the intent/wording of the rules).

I'm curious what other player's take on these interpretations are, both regarding how close they match the "hard" rules, and their viability as house-rules. For the record, ALL of these interpretations are going to be house-rules at my table Posted in General because this is kind of a max of rules interpretations along with some possible variant/house-rule stuff.

A number of these items revolve around these rules:
-Combat Actions (page 25): attack types and default ranges
-Combat Roll (page 33): To determine the dice a hero gets, "add the dice of the related Combat type" cards
-various cards and mechanics that adjust or modify a weapon's type or the ranges of an action type

Primarily referencing cards:
-Spear (starter or Spear of Impalement)
-Sword of Might (lvl 2)
-Javelin (any of the non-typed ones that can be used at melee)
-Warrior-Mages Scepter

And the Skills:
-Sword and Spell
-Shadow Barbarian: Two-Handed weapons are considered One-Handed

Spear and Javelin Questions:
The Spear and Javelin are similar, one is a melee that lets you Melee at range one, one is a ranged that lets you Melee at range 0.

Spear with any other Melee
The Spear makes sense, I'm taking a Melee action with a melee weapon rolling melee dice, just further than normal. The Spear is a one-handed weapon, so I could easily have another melee weapon in my other hand. Is there any consensus on if a player has a spear in one hand and a regular melee in the other if they roll both weapons' dice together?

I think this might be a slight gray area as the rules are worded, but I would lean towards allowing this, basically treating it as a sort of melee Warrior-Mages Scepter. It might not make the most sense "realistically", I like the mechanics of it. I think it makes spears a a viable off-hand that could compete against Bam->Stun weapons and the like.

Javelin with any other melee (Shadow Barbarian of Sword of Might)
2) The Javelin makes less sense, I take a melee action with a ranged weapon using ranged dice, at normal melee range. The general read on the forums from what I can tell is that the player declares a melee action (thus qualifying for melee skills/enchants) but rolls the ranged dice of the Javelin. The question is, if I wield a Sword of Might in my off-hand (or any other mechanic that would allow me to wield a second melee with the normally two-handed Javelin), would this add additional die?

I'm pretty sure this is in line with the intention of the rules, if not the wording. Although this is technically an exception to rolling your gear that shares one type (being melee with ranged, instead of melee with melee, defense with defense, etc.), you are still making a Melee action, so I think both your melee weapons should be allowed.

Javelin and Spear with Shadow Barbarian
I'd like to say a Shadow Barbarian (who can equip a Javelin and Spear at the same time) can use the Javelin's melee effect and the Spear's melee-at-range effect to let the barbarian charge into one space containing an enemy (requirement of charge) but stab an enemy adjacent to the space (since the _target_ isn't required to be in the charged space). I kind of feel like the Javelin's specific wording (can be used...Melee at range 0") prevents this.

This probably drifts a bit from the intent of the rules and I think it's a little off of the wording too.

Sword and Spell Questions

Spells with Melee Weapons
Sword and Spell lets you make a Magic action with a Melee weapon "as if they were Magic Weapons". So if my Battle Mage has a one-handed melee weapon and a one-handed magic weapon, I believe I should be able to roll both of them together at range 0.

I really like this interpretation. I think the wording of the skill including "with Melee Weapons" precludes it, which makes me sad. Allowing mixing types is really cool tactic for wizards that lets them be weaker at range (because of only running a single-hand magic weapon) while being strong in melee. Basically increasing a Wizard's versatility and encouraging them to actually get into melee.

Sword and Spell with Spear
As worded, Sword and Spell calls out Range 0, so as worded I don't think you can use a Spear's extended range with the skill. But I'd rather allow it since it doesn't look like it will unbalance the game, and make Spears more viable. A Wizard with this and the above interpretation with a Spear and a magic weapon could roll:
-their magic weapon at range 2
-their magic weapon and Spear at ranges 0 and 1

Sword and Spell with Warrior Mage's Sceptor
So while Sword and Spell does call out range 0, the Scepter sets magic ranges to 0-1. In this case, I would argue that:
-the general rule is that Magic actions have a range of 1-2
-Sword and Spell, a more specific rule, overrides that and allows Magic actions at range 0 when using melee weapons ()
-the Sceptor, an even more, more specific rule, sets Magic actions' ranges to 0-1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Spear and Javelin are similar, one is a melee that lets you Melee at range one, one is a ranged that lets you Melee at range 0.

The only combination that works here is Melee with both at range 0. Once you're past range 0, the Javelin is a Ranged attack, and they don't jive.

Quote:
Spear with any other Melee
The Spear makes sense, I'm taking a Melee action with a melee weapon rolling melee dice, just further than normal. The Spear is a one-handed weapon, so I could easily have another melee weapon in my other hand. Is there any consensus on if a player has a spear in one hand and a regular melee in the other if they roll both weapons' dice together?

I would say they only combine if you're attacking range 0. Just because you're holding a spear in one hand, the dagger in your other hand doesn't help it at range 1.

Quote:
Javelin with any other melee (Shadow Barbarian of Sword of Might)
2) The Javelin makes less sense, I take a melee action with a ranged weapon using ranged dice, at normal melee range. The general read on the forums from what I can tell is that the player declares a melee action (thus qualifying for melee skills/enchants) but rolls the ranged dice of the Javelin. The question is, if I wield a Sword of Might in my off-hand (or any other mechanic that would allow me to wield a second melee with the normally two-handed Javelin), would this add additional die?

This is how I've been playing it. The Combat rules say "simply add together the dice of the related Combat type among the Equipped cards he possesses.", and since the Javelin is being used for a 0 range melee attack, an additionally equipped melee weapon should be added to it since it can normally be used for a 0 range melee attack.

Quote:
I'd like to say a Shadow Barbarian (who can equip a Javelin and Spear at the same time) can use the Javelin's melee effect and the Spear's melee-at-range effect to let the barbarian charge into one space containing an enemy (requirement of charge) but stab an enemy adjacent to the space (since the _target_ isn't required to be in the charged space). I kind of feel like the Javelin's specific wording (can be used...Melee at range 0") prevents this.

Because the Javelin specifically calls out "at range 0", you would not be able to add its dice to the distance 1 Melee roll, but per the rules you could absolutely do this with one or two spears since it doesn't specifically state you have to attack the charged target (although I'd argue that's against the spirit of the skill, and say the player has to attack an enemy in the zone they charged to).

Quote:
Spells with Melee Weapons
Sword and Spell lets you make a Magic action with a Melee weapon "as if they were Magic Weapons". So if my Battle Mage has a one-handed melee weapon and a one-handed magic weapon, I believe I should be able to roll both of them together at range 0.

Under normal circumstances (IE without the Warrior Mage's Scepter), no, this does not work. S&S is basically Magic Weapon from D&D - you're making a regular weapon deal magical damage. This does not affect the range of standard Magic Weapons in any way.

FWIW, I interpreted the pluralization as "any and all weapons you may have".

Quote:
Sword and Spell with Spear
As worded, Sword and Spell calls out Range 0, so as worded I don't think you can use a Spear's extended range with the skill. But I'd rather allow it since it doesn't look like it will unbalance the game, and make Spears more viable. A Wizard with this and the above interpretation with a Spear and a magic weapon could roll:
-their magic weapon at range 2
-their magic weapon and Spear at ranges 0 and 1

Technically speaking, the Spear specifically calls out that it can be used to perform a Melee attack action at range 1. Since S&S is a Magic action that also specifically calls out Range 0, the ruling (as worded) would be Melee at 0-1, Magic with Spear at 0, or Magic with Wand at 1-2.

Personally, I'd houserule that you could either Melee Attack with the Spear at 0-1, Magic Attack with it at 0, Magic Attack with both at 1, or Magic Attack with your wand at 2.

Quote:
Sword and Spell with Warrior Mage's Sceptor
So while Sword and Spell does call out range 0, the Scepter sets magic ranges to 0-1. In this case, I would argue that:
-the general rule is that Magic actions have a range of 1-2
-Sword and Spell, a more specific rule, overrides that and allows Magic actions at range 0 when using melee weapons ()
-the Sceptor, an even more, more specific rule, sets Magic actions' ranges to 0-1

I'd say Warrior Mage's Sceptor is the only way to combine a S&S melee weapon and a magic weapon to Magic Attack at Range 0, but as above the Javelin is still technically invalid for a range 1 Magic Attack unless you houserule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.