Chris Hampson
msg tools

The rule:
Roll a dice for movement/grit as normal. Rather than moving that number of spaces you gain movement points. These points can be spent anytime during your turn.

This is similar to how fantasy flights descent handles movement but we keep the roll to move from brimstone.

This small change has massively improved the flow of our games and seems to create alot more interesting encounters and fights.

The rule allows players to make an attack then move, or move some spaces attack and move back.

This means for us, we have players shooting from around corners or blasting the pack with a shotgun and running away.

It doesn't always work though and when you roll a 2 and your team mate has already run off it can be bad news.

Another plus is that we now feel the speed of enemies is alot more relevant in the game. We can back up firing at the hungry dead but Hellbats will run us down no problem.

For escape rolls we roll when you first attempt to move. If you stop hallway to perform an action adjacent to another enemy you must escape again to keep moving.

I'm a big fan of this and highly suggest giving it a try. Let me know how you go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will give this variation a try soon. It does sound like it would feel more natural. Thanks for posting it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
HarveyDoom wrote:

The rule:
Roll a dice for movement/grit as normal. Rather than moving that number of spaces you gain movement points. These points can be spent anytime during your turn.

This is similar to how fantasy flights descent handles movement but we keep the roll to move from brimstone.

This small change has massively improved the flow of our games and seems to create alot more interesting encounters and fights.

The rule allows players to make an attack then move, or move some spaces attack and move back.

This means for us, we have players shooting from around corners or blasting the pack with a shotgun and running away.

It doesn't always work though and when you roll a 2 and your team mate has already run off it can be bad news.

Another plus is that we now feel the speed of enemies is alot more relevant in the game. We can back up firing at the hungry dead but Hellbats will run us down no problem.

For escape rolls we roll when you first attempt to move. If you stop hallway to perform an action adjacent to another enemy you must escape again to keep moving.

I'm a big fan of this and highly suggest giving it a try. Let me know how you go

Not sure if you're the same person, but I saw somebody posted this on Facebook too here recently. This had been brought up before when the game first released, but I remember the reason against it at the time was that one of the classes actually gets this as an ability at some point (though I can't for the life of me remember which one now or if that's even true). Still, even if that is true, I think it's a useful enough change that I don't know why it wasn't in the rules to begin with. Our group came from the Savage Worlds ruleset which is similar and we just allow interchanging attacking and moving (hadn't thought of allowing moving then action then move). It just seems like such an arbitrary thing that you always have to move first and then attack.

There's also the rule that you have to use up your turn in the Initiative order. SW combat rules allows those higher up in the initiative order to go on 'hold' and wait until a better time to activate/attack/move/whatever. In some situations, moving first might be a detriment since you have incomplete information on what somebody else might do, whereas being able to go on hold and act later lets you make a decision when you know more about what's happening.

This along with some sort of flanking/blind spot bonus would make the tactics in SoB much more interesting. Make it so that if you're attacking an enemy from behind, you get a slight bonus to hit the thing (since it obviously can't see you). It'd make combat a bit more fun since you're going between trying to get better hits on a thing vs getting yourself surrounded by other monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christofer Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
HarveyDoom wrote:

The rule:

Not sure if you're the same person, but I saw somebody posted this on Facebook too here recently. This had been brought up before when the game first released, but I remember the reason against it at the time was that one of the classes actually gets this as an ability at some point (though I can't for the life of me remember which one now or if that's even true). Still, even if that is true, I think it's a useful enough change that I don't know why it wasn't in the rules to begin with. Our group came from the Savage Worlds ruleset which is similar and we just allow interchanging attacking and moving (hadn't thought of allowing moving then action then move). It just seems like such an arbitrary thing that you always have to move first and then attack.
[. . .]

It is the Preacher/Nun that get that can chose that ability as the fourth and final step in one of its branches.

I do not like this special rule as at least three classes are designed to get around this by leveling up (Saloon girl, Preacher and Jargono Native). If you play with this special rule, they need to be compensated in some way.

And for the tactical purpose. There are two expansions that adds cover to the game. If you play by the Frontier Town rules in the mines and other worlds you would get the benefit of cover and it makes sense for some people to stay in the back if there would be shooting enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Verhoeven
msg tools
paddirn wrote:
In some situations, moving first might be a detriment since you have incomplete information on what somebody else might do, whereas being able to go on hold and act later lets you make a decision when you know more about what's happening.

That would completely change the strategy of your games, as right now, high-initiative slow-moving heroes always have to wonder if they move up front and risk blocking everyone else, or stay behind and risk getting stuck waaay behind after everyone else has moved on ahead. Again, something already offset by some character's starting or leveling abilities (like the Saloon girl being able to move through occupied spaces).

I.e. hero placement seems to be an integral part of the game's strategy (both with regards to other heroes as towards enemy models).
But don't let me stop you from employing your own house rules if you feel it improves the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you do this variant, do you also apply the same movement structure to the enemies? ie Move some, attack, move. Or do you just play the enemies exactly as specified on their sheets. For human enemies, it's sort of built-in on how they'll move around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.