Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which model should I choose?

I was looking through my 1,000+ miniatures and came to a conclusion about how I veiw battlestations alien races.

There are 100's of miniature companies and independent sculptors out there. Each one has their own unique style of sculpting and designing models. One major trend you see in model design however ususally remains the same, 2 hands, 2 feet, 2 legs, 2 arms, pelvis, torso, neck, and head. Most sculptors are trained to sculpt humans and humanoids. If you look at GW, infinity, mantic, cmon, and sodapop you see humanoids. This became highly problematic when trying to choose a board game set in space. The point of a space opera is to discover new and unfamiliar species, artifacts, and cultures. I wanted to use models that represent the unique way species would evolve in their own worlds. The fact that sculptors tend to stay with convention makes it harder to find unique models.

In the case of battlestations they completely ignore what the regular standard miniature companies put forth. Battlestations gives you a miniature thats just a pile of rocks. At first you might say thats bland or uninteresting but Id say not at all. Above is an image of a mantic rock creature from dreadball. There are a few things I looked at when deciding on swapping the models. Does it look good, is it unique, and does it make sense? Both models to me look good, there scaling is correct and they have enough detail to paint the heck out of them. However like I've said previously the mantic model is not unique, its just a human with rocks on it. You could make the argument that the pile of rocks is what a child would think up and Id say exacly and thats why I say its unique and makes sense. Its simple(nerd alert), if an alien was to evolve with rocks for skin it would first depend on the gravity of the planet and the weight of the rocks, but would a rock creature have arms? No, human spines colapses after 6 feet (hence why tallest man uses crutches to walk) and have been evovled to be the most durable and strong biologic structure in human existance. So why would it have arms? It would be far to heavy and any other style of back bone would fail to provide enough motility for arms. So battlestations wins as it takes far deeper thinking to make such a creature. The fact that the model made me such a nerd is testiment to how thought provoking a game with crazy out of this world aliens can be.

This is why id easily buy another batch of these guys. Imagine the cultural exchange of a Canosian. The cultural disconect of the Krebites and humans where they are using there tongues for handshaking.

Battlestations is ambisious enough to bring us these creative species in a board game where you can made a creature made of tenticles(Tentac) hold hostages outside a ship, at the same time a bug(Zoallan) creature is swearing at an engine, and a scientist is left trying to shoot off a fighter thats pestering the left flank (and failing)with his other head screaming at him to take control (Diploid).

The fact that battlestations lets me "pimp out my game" with these crazy aliens makes the game all the greater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree completely. The Battlestations aliens are extremely well done. They are not even remotely human and it shows. That's how aliens should be (Star Trek's humanoids with latex foreheads are rubbish).

The first edition miniatures were metal at 15mm scale. Not as much variety as second edition and quite a bit smaller but very nice miniatures nonetheless.

If you get a chance read Jeff Siadek's Deep Black novel. He really goes to town on the aliens.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m the exact opposite. While I applaud their creativity I want my alien races to be as close to human as possible with only subtle differences physically. As we were created that way, I would assume any other sentient life on other planets IF they existed would have been created the same way.

But I can suspend belief and play with a rock pile too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I’m the exact opposite. While I applaud their creativity I want my alien races to be as close to human as possible with only subtle differences physically. As we were created that way, I would assume any other sentient life on other planets IF they existed would have been created the same way.

Euhm... ok... maybe you should try looking at this game as fiction about evolution and how that "theory" would work out on other plannets and the likes. As the whole story of all different races and such is not something that I think would fit in any way for creationism.

I guess it's ok that you believe in creationism, you have your reasons, so for now, see this game as the fictional story around evolutionism... makes more sense that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_citizen wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Euhm... ok... maybe you should try looking at this game as fiction about evolution and how that "theory" would work out on other plannets and the likes. As the whole story of all different races and such is not something that I think would fit in any way for creationism.

I guess it's ok that you believe in creationism, you have your reasons, so for now, see this game as the fictional story around evolutionism... makes more sense that

Did you not read my post???

I was speaking in general about sci fi and all the weird blobs and gases etc. I prefer closer to human in all media. I also don’t care for movies with wild dream sequences etc. closer to reality is a good thing. IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
klkitchens wrote:
egg_citizen wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Did you not read my post???

I was speaking in general about sci fi and all the weird blobs and gases etc. I prefer closer to human in all media. I also don’t care for movies with wild dream sequences etc. closer to reality is a good thing. IMO.

I did read your post, did not mean offense and hadn't read the bold sentence in the way you mean it I guess.
More important is hoping that you will enjoy the miniatures one way or another
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The human form is by no way the best representation of a spieces. There are countless others that have special traits that help them survive better than humans. If you believe in extinction events then we would consider the Water Bears to be the ultimate species. They can live in space, volcanos, and salty water. Im not sure about organic solvents though. Fair enough if you believe in the human form though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to graciously accept the comments from all given here.

My intention was for the aliens to be truly alien. I believe there are enough humanoid miniatures in the world.

One of my first principles for alien design was that they wouldn't have shoulders. Having said that, shoulders are super useful and I wouldn't actually be surprised if creatures from other planets had them as well as bundles of sensory organs like eyes ears and noses. I just wanted mine to be different.

So, let's not let this devolve into a flame war and instead enjoy the prospect of aliens battling one another regardless of how humanoid they might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found some great plastic roaches a few years ago. Brown, realistic enough to freak out the at-first-glance-panic type. I think they were about 50 cents apiece from a novelty/gag store.

They'd work well in "BS." The intelligent descendants of the survivors of a planetary nuclear war somewhere. Hey, they were never human, but they probably kept close quarters with lots of human types somewhere in their ancestral chain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Tannahill
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm of two minds about the minis. I really love that they're *different* from other minis, and that's a huge plus.

But I also would have liked sculpts that did a better job of showing off what's cool about them. There's a lot of sculpts where the aliens aren't really *doing* anything other than just standing there, or have generic profiles, or are wearing jumpsuits that don't really have any detail or character. Also, minor quibble, the crocodile guy appears to actually be an alligator guy, judging by his head shape. :-)

There's also quite a few (i.e. Xeloxians) where some of the key things that make the alien interesting are lost in the low detail level of the minis. That's not a knock on the detail really, but it would have been nice to see a sculpt that took consideration of the realistic final quality and was designed in a way to still show the important bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the minis and really really really (is that enough emphasis?) hope that additional sets become available for purchase. Regretting not getting the additional kickstarter pack but funds were limited at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd mention that I have the 15mm versions - it was very impressive for the time, however due to molding limitations their poses are far less interesting than the modern miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing Im not so keen on are the 6 armed guys (xeloxians) and female sculps. That doesnt bother me too much. The humans are a huge competative market right now so im not expecting Gorilla is going to be competative on their first venture into 28mm. These other companies have 10+ years in the game. So expectations are set unaturally high
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.