Jason Thien
Brunei
seria
belait
flag msg tools

I don't know about everyone else but I am loving what I did to these miniatures. The airbrush works wonders for an amateur like me.

I decided to start a painting journal as my motivation is starting to waver. Can't wait to paint them all and bring them to the table.

Any advice and criticism are welcome.

Finished with the deep ones and the ghouls. I had an idea in my head of a slimy, I do not want to touch that miniature kind of thing.

I experimented with Gloss mixed with Matte Varnish and this is the result I'm most happy with. It did not come out as disgusting as I had hoped but they are acceptable by my standards. whistle

And thanks to all the people who came here. This being my first post, I was somewhat scared to hear what people would say about my paintjob.

This is way more motivational than I expected and I expect to finish with the undead, the last of the small miniatures soon.

With this all the small miniatures are done.

I wanted to make the undeads look like a bunch of organs and meat crumbled together with blood and pus all held loosely by the yellow ribbons.

Didn't look great as I had hoped.

Will probably repaint these someday when I get better at gore.

Done the king in yellow. Nothing too fancy.

More or less copied the color scheme I liked. I feel like I surpassed myself many times over with how good the byakhees look. Definitely proud of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. My wife the painter would point out the visible mold line, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job for a beginner.
I haven't painted ever with an airbrush but for me it looks more difficult than anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I would add a simple wash of a darker color (really thin paint) to increase the contrast between the shadowed areas and the raised areas.

That yellow turned out really interesting.

I also invested in an airbrush last year, but mainly for priming miniatures. I haven't gotten around to painting Cthulhu Wars minis yet, but if/when I would definitely start with an airbrush.

Miniature Painting Blog

What brand paint are you using by the way? I've found that the Badger airbrush paint works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thien
Brunei
seria
belait
flag msg tools
Urhixidur wrote:
Very nice. My wife the painter would point out the visible mold line, however.

Thank you,

I did try to get rid of mold lines at first but then it became too much of a chore being they do not bother me much in the first place and I was doing it more for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thien
Brunei
seria
belait
flag msg tools
Bernado wrote:
Good job for a beginner.
I haven't painted ever with an airbrush but for me it looks more difficult than anything else.

Coming from a beginner myself it probably wont amount to much, but it's not as hard as it looks unless you want to go for very accurate thin lines and such. ( Which I still can't do properly )

The most daunting part for me was cleaning the airbrush. I spent so many more hours researching on cleaning rather than painting techniques.

Give it a try if you ever found the moneys to invest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thien
Brunei
seria
belait
flag msg tools
psychopanda wrote:
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I would add a simple wash of a darker color (really thin paint) to increase the contrast between the shadowed areas and the raised areas.

That yellow turned out really interesting.

I also invested in an airbrush last year, but mainly for priming miniatures. I haven't gotten around to painting Cthulhu Wars minis yet, but if/when I would definitely start with an airbrush.

Miniature Painting Blog

What brand paint are you using by the way? I've found that the Badger airbrush paint works pretty well.

I did add a wash to them except for yellow. I did so at first but didn't like how it looked and repainted it. It's not very visible unless I hold the yellow one close to my eyes though, but there is contrast.

I'm just using normal GW paints. Thinned them down with vallejo airbrush thinner. Just realized how inconvenient these paint bottles are for airbrushing but I'm too used to GW at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For cleaning, I definitely recommend using an ultrasonic bath (typically used for cleaning jewelry). I fill the tub up with some distilled water, then add a few drops of airbrush cleaner. Take apart the airbrush and gently drop the pieces in the tub. Turn on for 3 cycles or so, and it gets very clean. Usually just leave out on a paper towel to air dry for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I like how you kept the cult colors very functionally intact. Also nice smooth airbrush work that makes it look more real world than painted.
Good airbrushing has subtlely blended transitions like the real world. One thing I noticed with my minimalist paint jobs was how much of an appearance difference doing the base as contrasting made to the look. I did mine grey with highlights and blackwash. I think your choice is better. It looks like you've done grey with highlighting of the cult color. This gives greater functional color coded identification and still achieves the contrast. The criticism I have of it for improvement is in the contrast level. I think you got the right balance in the green and yellow. Those look great. The red and blue blend in too much. I would suggest re-doing those with a black wash in the recesses and maybe choose a slightly lighter cult color for the highlights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thien
Brunei
seria
belait
flag msg tools
pollock1939 wrote:
I like how you kept the cult colors very functionally intact. Also nice smooth airbrush work that makes it look more real world than painted.
Good airbrushing has subtlely blended transitions like the real world. One thing I noticed with my minimalist paint jobs was how much of an appearance difference doing the base as contrasting made to the look. I did mine grey with highlights and blackwash. I think your choice is better. It looks like you've done grey with highlighting of the cult color. This gives greater functional color coded identification and still achieves the contrast. The criticism I have of it for improvement is in the contrast level. I think you got the right balance in the green and yellow. Those look great. The red and blue blend in too much. I would suggest re-doing those with a black wash in the recesses and maybe choose a slightly lighter cult color for the highlights.

Thank you for the suggestion. Now that you mentioned it, yes I do agree that the contrast is lacking for the red and the blues. I'll see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claymore Nash
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I think those undead look great! That's pretty much exactly how I want to do mine when I start painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.