Subject: Diceless Action Point Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
High Stakes
United States
flag msg tools
This is my lucky stake.
badge
I have killed many vampires with it. I call it Mr. Pointy.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant whereby you can use cards to determine Action Points and Lulls rather than the Ship Placement roll. The goal is to make for a more Euro-ish experience with a more or less guaranteed average number of Action Points and Lulls using the same general probabilities as the dice system. Specifics given for each Motive. Requires creating some simple text-only cards (or chits).

This variant is available on the Files page.

Diceless Action Point Variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, I will have to give it a try at some point. With cards you could have icons to show which cards are used for which act and motive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Stakes
United States
flag msg tools
This is my lucky stake.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, for a bit more work up front you could mark the cards in such a way as to indicate which deck each belonged in for each Motive (if it was used at all).

Would look something like this, for a card used in the Act I and II deck for Explore and Science, and the Act III deck for Anti-Imperialism and War.

E I+II S I+II

AP 3

AI III W III

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Stakes
United States
flag msg tools
This is my lucky stake.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was what I was thinking! Should be easy to sort by flicking through the corners. Icons for lull and AP's would mean you could flip the motives at the bottom 180 degrees (like a playing card). Love to give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Zdybel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
Losing too often is bad for you.

Har! arrrh If losin' be half the fun, Chuft be having at least half the fun!

So, Chuft me lad, how do ye fare using yer system here? And how much of that do ye attribute to yer increasing skill and how much to the cards?

Do it help all that much? Do ye win more, or is it is just comforting to know that if ye "re-roll" a snake-eyes, ye won't be getting another one?

Just scratching my curiosity itch here, an' givin' you an opportunity to stretch, old shipmate! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Stakes
United States
flag msg tools
This is my lucky stake.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Due to packing and moving I haven't had much chance to game lately, and my gaming lately has been Legendary Alien, but last time I played Nemo I used the cards for everything and did a lot better than usual. Getting average instead of poor rolls really helps in this game, for both Action Points and combat/tests.

Since I tracked all my rolls it was quite clear I was getting way fewer APs than average when using dice. Very nice to finally get the number the game was designed around. Different experience really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.