16 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Cards Quality over Time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hi everyone,

I'm a crazy sleever - and it's time to stop being one :-)
I bought Firefly: The Game yesterday and because I keep hearing about the quality of the components in this game, I decided Firefly could be the first treatment in my way to become less sleevholic :-)

With that, I can see how pilled or damage cards can hurt the fun a bit (because now I know which Navigation Card comes next because of a mark). I'm wondering how durable the Cards are over time? Do they shine like everyone mentioned and I can skipped sleeving (while using them with care)? or the Cards quality is actually no that good and I should sleeve anyhow to avoid future pain?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
With expensive games that I play regularly, it's worth the investment to sleeve them. This is especially true if distinguishing marks on a card would go beyond just a visual annoyance and actually ruin the game -- such as marks on hidden role / traitor cards that some games use. There aren't really any of these key cards in Firefly. But for me, the game has been such an expensive purchase (with all of the expansions) that it's worth the added cost to keep it nice.

Another consideration is if you trade or sell games you no longer play. You'll be able to list it as being in excellent/good condition rather than fair/poor condition. That difference will likely end up paying for the sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a crazy sleever - and it's time to stop being one :-)
I bought Firefly: The Game yesterday and because I keep hearing about the quality of the components in this game, I decided Firefly could be the first treatment in my way to become less sleevholic :-)

With that, I can see how pilled or damage cards can hurt the fun a bit (because now I know which Navigation Card comes next because of a mark). I'm wondering how durable the Cards are over time? Do they shine like everyone mentioned and I can skipped sleeving (while using them with care)? or the Cards quality is actually no that good and I should sleeve anyhow to avoid future pain?

Thanks!
i can honestly tell you the card quality is the best of any game i have ever owned...and we play a lot...

the cards, even after all these years/plays, are almost still in mint condition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the exact nature of the card longevity, I can neither confirm nor deny, but as you can imagine, what you do with them will have a great deal to do with how well they stand the test of time. Do you or your friends eat (pizza?) right before playing without washing your hands? Do you bend them while holding them in your hand or looking at face down cards on the table? How do you shuffle them? Those sorts of things that would understandably damage cards.

Some of the decks will get more action than others, and in different ways. Nav and Misbehave decks get run through pretty regularly. Supply and Contact decks less so, but at the same time, the cards in the discard are handled frequently as people ponder what cards they'll consider. So things to consider, as well as how often you'll actually play the game. If you play once per week, you should probably sleeve everything. Once per month, maybe? Once every few months, maybe not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The people I play with aren't particularly rough on cards, and I don't sleeve them.

But even the copy of Firefly at my local board game café, where games get hard use, is in pretty good nick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some game I sleeve when I feel they need it. Firefly is not one of those. My cards are naked and are wearing quite well. One day I may feel the need to sleeve this game, but today is not that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want them to endure the test of time. Still, it barely fits naked and might make the necessary shuffling and stacking more difficult. What I would like is a full, expansions included, replacement set. That would begin to set everything right in the verse.arrrhzombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penny sleeves are your friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Life's too short for penny sleeves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony peacock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Everyone in my group plays lots of Magic, except for me, I didn't even know sleeving cards was a thing. Then one of the group said "aren't you going to sleeve them?" While glaring at me.

I sleeved them and honestle was really pleased with the result. The cards stick to each other less and are easier to shuffle. Plus I know our group is messy and full of drink spillers.

Which reminds me I really should varnish the edge of my tokens/ship boards, we've already had 5 fuel become 10 fuel from getting damp, swelling and splitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Maybe it's time give Penny sleeves a try whistle (only due to the huge amount of cards in game).

Thanks for the feedback guys - this help. I fail to mentioned my gaming group are not yet there - playing firefly it is. They still focusing on casual games. So the main focus is solo (at least for now) - and I will be handling those cards with love (OMG NO PIZZA NEAR THE CARDS)

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If (when?) I were to sleeve this game, I'd go with the KMC Perfect Fits. They are technically intended as inner sleeves, but I have my entire Sentinels set in these as the sole sleeve and they work great. In large part because the name is true--they fit the cards perfectly. For the standard Poker cards these are my Goldilocks sleeves: not too tight, not too loose, not to short, not to tall, not too thick, not too thin.

Here's a good reference for what's available: Item for Geeklist "Card Sleeve Sizes for Games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never sleeved my cards because I don't know how to quickly and effectively shuffle sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
I've never sleeved my cards because I don't know how to quickly and effectively shuffle sleeved cards.

Actually, I find shuffling with sleeves easier (you don't have to riffle shuffle, and instead you just 'merge' two decks into one by pushing one against the other).

Quote:
I'd go with the KMC Perfect Fits.

Yea, those are great, but slightly more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Actually, I find shuffling with sleeves easier (you don't have to riffle shuffle, and instead you just 'merge' two decks into one by pushing one against the other).

That is the mash shuffle. You can also do an overhand shuffle. Those are the options for sleeved decks. I now kind of prefer them over the more typical riffle shuffle--much less stress on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stressful on the cards is the old "52 card pick-up"!!! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.