10 Posts

The Legend of Korra: Pro-Bending Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Possible 6-Player Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Michael Huang
Philippines
flag msg tools
I'm a huge Avatar/Korra fan, and I'm super excited about this game. I hope it ends up being decent enough for even non-fans to enjoy. (I still think there should be more Avatar/Korra merchandise! The alternate game modes here make we wonder if the mechanics could even work outside of the arena.)

However, I was a bit a disheartened when I saw it listed for 2 players. I was wondering if it would still be fun to play with 6 players, with each player controlling his or her own pro-bender. It might make for interesting and challenging team dynamics instead of one person having total control over a team.

For those who've been able to test the game out, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the problem of 6 players would be the card distribution - as currently all the moves are mixed into the stack and it is part of the strategy as to what cards are in the overall hand.

That being said, there are rules for playing single benders as a 'team', so you may be able to adapt the rules a bit to have each player play 1 bender on each team of 3.

Though it might be just as easy to setup 2 or three boards and play a mini-tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard an earlier version had you moving one bender at a time, which may have been more easily adaptable, but didn't have the punchiness of this version. The card distribution is one thing, when you actually apply the token damage is another.

I' think it might be possible to build a decent enough variant, but the game was designed as an excellent 2-player dueling game, so that's where it's going to shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be interesting and fun to have a version something like this:

Each player takes a bender and has access to their full deck.

Each turn, each player secretly selects one of their cards to play and plays it face down.

Everyone reveals simultaneously. You'd have to figure out an order of initiative somehow to activate the moves. Maybe based on the chi cost of the card? Or assign each type of bender an initiative (fire first, then water, then earth, with ties between opposing benders broken by chi)? Or come up with a speed value for every bender individually?

After the moves are all made, hits counted, etc., that move is discarded until you've gone through the whole deck, at which point everyone gets all their cards back (assuming the game is still going).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Kintzi
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
flakbait42 wrote:
Each player takes a bender and has access to their full deck.

Each turn, each player secretly selects one of their cards to play and plays it face down.

Everyone reveals simultaneously. You'd have to figure out an order of initiative somehow to activate the moves. Maybe based on the chi cost of the card? Or assign each type of bender an initiative (fire first, then water, then earth, with ties between opposing benders broken by chi)? Or come up with a speed value for every bender individually?

After the moves are all made, hits counted, etc., that move is discarded until you've gone through the whole deck, at which point everyone gets all their cards back (assuming the game is still going).

I think this would be a good starting framework for a way to set up a team multiplayer mode. It might be easiest to follow the fire>water>earth order, let each player play in turn (since both teams can do so), and allow talk so that the fire player could say "I'll throw down a strong offense if you can provide a defense."

One concern I would have is that if you're using the whole deck, then you've generally always got a way to clear the board. It might be more interesting to have the whole deck for each bender shuffled, and then each player follows a draw 1 > play 1 order. Then you could either keep the rule that allows you to remove a card from your deck with each shuffle to represent the teams slowly adapting tactics during the match, or set the number of cards for each bender to 6 to match the deck building that happens beforehand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorGlitch wrote:

One concern I would have is that if you're using the whole deck, then you've generally always got a way to clear the board....

Yeah, probably cutting the deck down would be good. Maybe a deck of 6, draw 2, play one and discard the other? After three turns reshuffle everything together.

MajorGlitch wrote:
It might be more interesting to have the whole deck for each bender shuffled, and then each player follows a draw 1 > play 1 order. Then you could either keep the rule that allows you to remove a card from your deck with each shuffle to represent the teams slowly adapting tactics during the match, or set the number of cards for each bender to 6 to match the deck building that happens beforehand...

Do you mean you just play whatever random card you pull? I'm not sure I like that, as you lose the choice aspect and trying to both complement whatever your teammates might be playing and counter whatever your opponents are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immanuel Aquino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 1 bender per person, alternating team turns?

Earth 1 - Earth 2 > Water 1 - Water 2 > etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immanuel Aquino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw 2 pick 1 per bender, chi is not shared.

noelics wrote:
How about 1 bender per person, alternating team turns?

Earth 1 - Earth 2 > Water 1 - Water 2 > etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Kintzi
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
flakbait42 wrote:
Do you mean you just play whatever random card you pull? I'm not sure I like that, as you lose the choice aspect and trying to both complement whatever your teammates might be playing and counter whatever your opponents are playing.

Yes. That matches the core rules, and is why I suggested if using that method to allow players to go in any order after discussing their best play. If you allow the entire deck to be available, I fear a situation where both teams are essentially playing to stalemate, as there will always be an ideal play based on the cards available (essentially, the game is solved). Having the entire deck available also means that certain team abilities are simply pointless to use. Keeping the randomness of having limited card availability is what allows for swings in momentum. I will admit that this suggestion is probably better for teaching younger/newer players than it is an engaging variant for more than two players.

I do like the idea of draw 2 play 1, especially when coupled with individual chi tracks. I think in that case a play order (such as fire>water>earth) should be enforced, and players should draw and play at the same time, instead of drawing at the end of the turn, to reduce planning and simulate "instinctive teamwork".

The idea for alternating benders/teams is also interesting, but I'd have to try it before getting too deep into the theory of why it would or wouldn't work. Resolving elemental tokens and determining a line advance would certainly be odd. Would you resolve all tokens simultaneously? That could result in a line advance on both sides, in which case I assume you would stay put, but what if a team had benders that were back a zone already, would they get to move back to the front line with the rest of their team?

And of course, there's always the possibility of an early ring-out really dampening things for a player, so perhaps the goal should be to play until 2 (or 3) benders are pushed to the back row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I like the idea of every bender having their own deck. That deck would consist of the same deck set up for a standard team game. Each hero would also pick 1 trick for their bender. The team as a whole would also pick one team ability to share.

How to use your deck and Chi.
Each bender has their own Chi pool, starting with 3 chi.
All discarded cards are sold for 2 Chi.

You first choose which team starts, then each bender draws 2 cards to their hand. Then each member of the team will pick one of the two cards to play. In order to play a card, you first need to have enough Chi stored up to pay the chi cost of the ability on the card, you then sale the other card. If you can not play card then you sale both cards, and as a penalty, you sale both cards for 3 chi and not 4.
When your draw deck is empty, you re-shuffle the discarded deck and draw 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.