Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game over the weekend, and came up against a question with no concrete answer that we could find in the rules.

If a double tentacle worker goes to the Medical Lab (pay 1 component to gain 2), and the two gained components are of different types, does the worker bring home an extra component of each type, or just one?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d say 1 extra component ... getting 2 additional components would be too strong and unbalanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Played our first game over the weekend, and came up against a question with no concrete answer that we could find in the rules.

If a double tentacle worker goes to the Medical Lab (pay 1 component to gain 2), and the two gained components are of different types, does the worker bring home an extra component of each type, or just one?

Thanks!

Each type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:
Each type.
Thanks Seth! Just to confirm: if the two components were of the same type, the worker would only gain one additional one, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:
Each type.
Thanks Seth! Just to confirm: if the two components were of the same type, the worker would only gain one additional one, correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Van Leur
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

Thanks!

Each type.

So, that would also apply to the Covert Cloning module?

Covert Cloning says "gain one component from the supply for each worker in the Worker Lounge."

If there are somehow four workers in the lounge, and I placed a double tentacle worker on Covert Cloning, I could grab one of each component and then get one more of each afterward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

Correct.

So this means that when the rulebook says "When your double tentacle worker gains a component in an action", what it means is "whenever your double tentacle worker gains any number of a single type of component" ?

So if you gain 3 components (like with Covert Cloning) and you choose 3 brains, then you get 4 brains. But if you choose a brain, claws, and leaves, then you get two of each?

This seems strangely fiddly to me, and probably overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
oddbod wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

Correct.

So this means that when the rulebook says "When your double tentacle worker gains a component in an action", what it means is "whenever your double tentacle worker gains any number of a single type of component" ?

So if you gain 3 components (like with Covert Cloning) and you choose 3 brains, then you get 4 brains. But if you choose a brain, claws, and leaves, then you get two of each?

Yes, I find this contrary to how it reads. I explained the game yesterday and used "component" as one of the keywords per the instructions. There was nothing about 'type' of component in the rules regarding tentacle bonus, and furthermore, it's similarly limited (max 1) with food and/or coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
oddbod wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

Correct.

Yes, I find this contrary to how it reads. I explained the game yesterday and used "component" as one of the keywords per the instructions. There was nothing about 'type' of component in the rules regarding tentacle bonus, and furthermore, it's similarly limited (max 1) with food and/or coins.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the rules for double tentacles says "another component of that type."

For coins, food, and components, the intent was that at the end of your turn, I'd you got a food/coin/claw/brain..., then you get a single bonus food/coin/claw/brain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:
oddbod wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

Correct.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the rules for double tentacles says "another component of that type."

For coins, food, and components, the intent was that at the end of your turn, I'd you got a food/coin/claw/brain..., then you get a single bonus food/coin/claw/brain...

Hi Seth, and thanks for responding to so many questions. I should mention that I've really enjoyed your design blog as well.

I read the part you reference to mean that you cannot choose the type of component you get (it must be the same type), so in the case that you bought or acquired multiple components, you would need to choose one of the types you rec'd.

Looked it up:
"When your double tentacle worker gains a component in a action, gain an additional component of the same type at the end of that action."

So if it were one for each type, I would expect the rule to read that way instead of 'gain an additional component of the same type, or even better, call out the seemingly special case of getting a second component of a different type in the same action that you get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Hi Seth, and thanks for responding to so many questions. I should mention that I've really enjoyed your design blog as well.

Thanks, I'm glad someone reads it

Quote:
I read the part you reference to mean that you cannot choose the type of component you get (it must be the same type), so in the case that you bought or acquired multiple components, you would need to choose one of the types you rec'd.

That's not correct...

Quote:
rulebook wrote:
Looked it up:
"When your double tentacle worker gains a component in a action, gain an additional component of the same type at the end of that action."

So if it were one for each type, I would expect the rule to read that way instead of 'gain an additional component of the same type, or even better, call out the seemingly special case of getting a second component of a different type in the same action that you get both.

If you gain a Brain in an action, then at the end of that action you gain an additional Brain. If you gain a Claw in an action, then at the end of that action you gain an additional claw. If it was the same action, then you get them both at the end of that action.

I see what you are saying though. It might have been clearer for you if it said "For each type of component gained by your double tentacle worker in a action, gain an additional component of the same type at the end of that action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:

Thanks, I'm glad someone reads it

Quote:

That's not correct...

Quote:
rulebook wrote:
Looked it up:

If you gain a Brain in an action, then at the end of that action you gain an additional Brain. If you gain a Claw in an action, then at the end of that action you gain an additional claw. If it was the same action, then you get them both at the end of that action.

I see what you are saying though. It might have been clearer for you if it said "For each type of component gained by your double tentacle worker in a action, gain an additional component of the same type at the end of that action."

Thanks Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.