Merchant of Venus (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Classic] Do relics have a cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sunny Neuroshima
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The classic game rules refer to "collecting" relics but do not actually specify that there is a cost to pay. However, each relic token has a price printed on it. Do players have to pay the cost printed on the relic token when "collecting" the relic, or is it free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

It's been a while, but I believe you pick the relic up for free, the price on it is the price you can sell it for.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I recall. Standard play (again, IIRC) is your find them along the routes when you flip the counter. You then can pick them up for free. You can later sell them for the printed price. I think there's a variant where you seed some to buy at the Galactic Base.

This reminds me. I need to get MoV to the table again, it's been too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pick up the relics for free when you explore and find one after flipping a token. The number printed on the tokens is actually what it would cost to BUY them, but that only really applies if someone else gets one and then trades it in. When you trade it in, you only get half value for it. It's worth pointing out that you don't actually "sell" the Relic - you can't get cash for it, you can only barter it (see page 20). Bartering counts as a sell action, but the difference is you can only apply the credits to a purchase - you lose any excess.

For example, if you get a Spy Eye, and then want to barter it, you would only get c50 trade-in value for it. You then place it on the market space you traded it in; if someone else later wanted to buy the Spy Eye, they would pay c100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Neuroshima
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all, especially Scott, for the detailed clarification. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, in the Classic game, the "cost" of picking up a Relic is that you have to stop your movement for that turn to pick it up. In a game where every turn can count, that can be a tough decision sometimes.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.