Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb

- Welcome back. Now that we have the preamble out of the way. It's time to get into the nitty-gritty of the game. How does it play?

- Do you mean how do we play it, or how does it feel to play it?

- Yes.

- You are once again an inexhaustible well of useful information.

- You might think that Loot Island is something of a simple take-that game, but there is actually quite a bit of meat to it. For starters, only the cards right in front of the ship are scored and removed at the end of the round. Which means cards played into landings on other shores of the island, let you get the foot in the door for a later round.

- So, just play cards into every landing and wait for them to score?

- Not quite. There are only 3 compasses in your colour, to mark that you have contributed to a row of cards. If you contribute to your fourth landing during a round, you need to move one of your markers. So you need to carefully consider where to play your cards. Do you want to trail behind on a row that your opponents have already spent cards on? Or do you want to be first in a row that will score on a later round?

- What if I'm stuck with a bunch of cards in my hand, that have either the wrong colour to go into the landing I want, or can't be played because their value is too low?

- Then you have two options. You can either pass and at the beginning of the next round you fill your hand back up to 7 cards. You also get to discard any leftover cards, you don't think will be of any help in the new turn.

- Doesn't that mean that people win by simple luck of having drawn the lowest cards in different colours? Once another player has played the first card into a landing, they are likely going to get the best treasure?

- Handily, this is where your other option comes in: small islands.
By discarding two cards of the same colour from your hand, you can activate one of their special functions. Those options range from moving your compass to the first position, moving your compass to a landing that you haven't played a card into, to even moving the ship to a new shore. This way you can change which rows get scored.

- So what you're saying is that Loot Island exists in this magical state of competitive play, peppered with short-term cooperation?

- Got it in one. The small islands all give you a new lever to pull or nipple to twist. All it takes is for you to discard two cards of the same colour, and you pick one of those islands' amazing powers to activate. Or not activate and just render unusable for the rest of the turn.

- What about curses?

- Ah, yes. There will be a lot of cursing at the table. Suddenly and often unexpectedly. Cutting off a row, because you played a very high-numbered card into a landing. Activating a small island, before your opponent gets to it. All of which are great ways to learn more about your friends' colourful vocabulary.

- Actually, I meant the curses and treasures.

- Well, of course, players will curse when you pick the one item they wanted and they are then stuck with a less valuable item, that doesn't really score them all that much in the end. And that is Loot Island. Available at Spiel in Essen, and soon thereafter at your preferred game store.

- Wait... I think you're skipping out on a bunch of things. How do you gain curses exactly? Can you get rid of curses? How do treasures work? In fact how does scoring work? When does a round end?

- Fine, fine, fine... we'll get to all that next time. If you insist.

Loot Island is a medium-to-light card game for 2-5 players. Designed by Aaron Haag, it will be released at Spiel 2017 in Essen by What's Your Game.

Georgios Panagiotidis is host, writer and editor at the Perfect Information podcast. A board game podcast full of inappropriate humour and appropriate amounts of swearing. 

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Dizzy wrote:

- Cutting off a row, because you played a very high-numbered car into a landing.

A car? This game gets interesting by the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
baboonov wrote:
Joe Dizzy wrote:

- Cutting off a row, because you played a very high-numbered car into a landing.

A car? This game gets interesting by the moment

I've edited it now. I might get into trouble for leaking infos on an expansion there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.