Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to gauge whether I should join the 2nd KS, and waffling. Just hanging out on the fence since no one I know has it.

For those of you who bought in the first time around and have begun playing it: Knowing what's in the game now and generally how it works, would you tell your friends... "Yes, get this!" -or- "Let's just play my copy" -or- "No, don't bother"?

And what stands out to you to make you respond that way?

My wife and wallet may thank you, or I may thank you.

Either way, thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do it again.
I recommend getting it BUT being super aware of what you're getting.
I'd tell my friend to play my copy instead of getting their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no regrets getting this game, because I really like it and it is quite unique. Even though I am far from finishing the curses I have got, I am already looking forward to what the 2nd kickstarter will offer (so excited!!!)

I just got the core game and the curse expansions and from what I read about the other expansions, this seems to have been a good choice (I might get Path of Repentance the 2nd time around).

Just note that although a lot of people really like it, it is not for everyone. The main criticism I have read around here seems to be that it takes a long time to finish the first curse and that people are surprised and sometimes unhappy that the game contains quite some amount of survival in addition to the exploration. I really like this concept, but you should be aware of this and that you will have to take some time to ensure your food and survival throughout the game.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:

i'd do it in a heartbeat. 7C is the most distinct, unique tabletop game i've ever played.

When i first saw its list of 40+ action icons, i gagged and thought, "it's going to have 10 pages of rules describing those." Quite the contrary, movement and crafting are the only action icons explained at all in the rules (because they're special cases). The rules are elegant and easy to play. Yes, the item combination system can seem silly at times (meat-blowgun-shovel!), but it works well in conjunction with the overall rules.

i expect/hope that we'll see, over the next few years, a slew of work-alikes which take the core mechanics of 7C and adapt them to arbitrary genres, possibly even recreating existing choose-your-own-path books and video games into tabletop form. There's little reason why 7C terrain tiles can't be adapted to more abstract story element/node tiles, allowing for all sorts of story- and exploration-driven games to be developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy it again in a heartbeat. For friends, depends on who I'm talking to. It's a good game but it's not for everyone -- I don't recommend it unless I know something about the player's tastes. For this reason I'd be hesitant to recommend you get or don't get the game without knowing anything about your taste in games (and your wife's).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd personally do it again. But it's really not for everyone. I don't think I personally know anyone I'd recommend go all in. The people I know who might be into this, I consider to be more in the "just play my copy" camp.

If I was looking to save a bit of cash, I might leave out the "add-on" expansions (Devourers, Repentance, Elements) and just get the curses. I like them alright, but I feel like they're the least value-for-money of the bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Absolutely I would again. This has hands down been my favorite game of the year. It was advertised as a "Choose Your Own Adventure" style survival exploration game and that is exactly what they delivered.

I like cooperative games, especially ones where you can talk about what to do next and it's not an alpha player running the show. This is a terrific couples game, IMO.

I like narrative and theme, and this game has tons of both. It's also just a really interesting mechanical achievement in terms of game design. They've done some really clever things considering it is almost exclusively decks of cards.

That said, it's not an inexpensive gamble, both in time and money. And it can take a lot of time to really explore everything in the box. It can be VERY frustrating to get close and then fail anyway. It can also be tempting to cheat, look ahead, or fudge rules or concepts. (This would be much more tempting to me if I weren't playing 2 player).

But for us, all that has added up to a really memorable gaming experience that's lasted us well over 100 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Trying to gauge whether I should join the 2nd KS, and waffling. Just hanging out on the fence since no one I know has it.

For those of you who bought in the first time around and have begun playing it: Knowing what's in the game now and generally how it works, would you tell your friends... "Yes, get this!" -or- "Let's just play my copy" -or- "No, don't bother"?

My wife and wallet may thank you, or I may thank you.

Either way, thank you very much!

I'm on the same fence and feel the exact same way. Especially concerning the part in bold.

Subscribed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no qualms about the project whatsoever. Its Game of the Year good IMHO.

My review should give you that idea:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1852980/hello-kiddies-revie...

I work in Topeka, so if you'd be interested in meeting up for a demo some time I'd be happy to do so, especially at one of the local upcoming meet up gatherings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this as a solo game and yes i would definately buy it again as a solo or maybe a two player (i doubt i would play more people than that).

There are so few games that i can play solo and it give me an involving storyline, a clever mechanic, ongoing decisions that constantly change, and discovery that draws you onwards. Of course any adventure type game (board or pc based) comes with frustrations - when you get stuck for instance, but generally it is extremely enjoyable. You can also save your place and return later, which is key really.

My wife has commented that this must be a good game as she has heard me chuckle and sigh as i play it. There are indeed occasional moments of true brilliance in this game, often just really little discoveries or reveals that just endear you to it.

That all said this game suits me well as i like to tell the story in my head as i go, so i am not just playing strategy, i am telling my story of the exploration. Personally i play it as a journey of discovery rather than worrying as much about winning without dying, but you can play it both ways.

Replaying wont be as exciting though, as you will know what is coming, but the gameplay is still variable enough as you wont get to keep the same items you did the time before. But the number of hours worth of game before you finish one full game kind of makes this an irrelevance - how may hours do you actually play other board games, in my case it is less than this one.

There are 2 games this year that really stand out as different and slightly unique, 7th Continent and Too Many Bones, both i think are worth it - but only if you find the concepts appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. I'd back again. In fact I will back again if they offer more content for the game.

I find it one of the better more approachable games in this sort of genre. Also it gives me the same sort of experience I used to get when playing old computer text adventures. It has scratched an itch that's been needing scratching for a long time. Much like those old text adventures repeated play will depend on your willingness to execute already explored areas. Not that big a deal IMO since the different curses encourage you to explore different parts of the island and there are parts of the island you can't even explore without certain curses so it's never a complete retread. So it does have legs for repeated play. I didn't get any of the non-curse expansions. I can't comment to how those effect repeated play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Pelletier
msg tools
Our gaming group recently decided to start playing this one, and we routinely end up playing for hours longer than we first planned. I really enjoy the variability and brutality of this game. Every action has consequences, whether just through the burning of your action cards or ending up with a nasty injury because you did something questionable. It feels like a combination of Kingdom Death: Monster and Robinson Crusoe.

While that may not completely answer your question, I would add that I would definitely buy this game had a member of our gaming group not owned it already. As it is, I may jump in on the 2nd round so I have it in my library for the future. Will see what the KS holds tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I didn't get any of the non-curse expansions. I can't comment to how those effect repeated play.

I find all of the content expansions to be worth it. More cards is always a good thing. While some expansions do add some challenge, they are never insurmountable.

The Pocket Watch expansion (Repentance I think) is my favorite, followed by the Devourers and then the Weather expansion last (it doesn't add much narrative quality to the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grilly
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I've not even beat the first curse yet (on my third try) and I would definitely purchase again knowing what I know now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
I'm also on the fence. Can anyone speak to whether this game would be for me if a really dislike time stories but kingdom death monster is my favorite game of all time? I've never played Robinson crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure I would buy it again...my wife and kids really enjoy this game! They love the story, the choices and the puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
basketball_curry wrote:
I'm also on the fence. Can anyone speak to whether this game would be for me if a really dislike time stories but kingdom death monster is my favorite game of all time? I've never played Robinson crusoe.

What, specifically, do you dislike about TIME Stories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
basketball_curry wrote:

Not sure if this will help, but here is a review I wrote that mentions KD:M at the end. I love KD:M and love 7th Continent.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848135/way-too-long-review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in here as a dissenting opinion.

I would weigh very heavily the strengths and weaknesses of the 7th Continent, and how much each will fit with the style of board games you like.

There is a lot to like in the 7th Continent. It's got some beautiful, elegant mechanics and the feeling of exploration is really tough to beat. There are interesting decisions to make and so, so much to explore.

On the other hand, there is an obnoxious amount of card sorting, pulling out, putting back, pulling out, putting back, wiping the board to put everything back, and pulling out again. At the end of which you could run into a veritable dead end loop of not being able to hunt/fish effectively and exhaust your deck. Perhaps more frustratingly, you could make the wrong choice at one point of a cave and miss the entire objective you came into the cave for.

Your reward for this? Knowledge about how to do it right the next time AND the grand prize of getting to re-sort everything on the table, and put everything back into the box. Again.

In the end analysis of my time with the game, I do feel that it was worth the money - more than worth the money for the content included. It's just that the game turned into too much work for the amount of fun it was delivering. Gloomhaven is the perfect counterpoint (in my opinion) to a game that gets this positive correlation correct - it's a ton of work to get set up and tear down, but it's fun throughout. With the 7th Continent, I had a blast the first time through, and fun the second. From that point on, however, I could actively feel the dread of having to re-sort and replace everything to do it all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
I'm going to chime in here as a dissenting opinion.

I would weigh very heavily the strengths and weaknesses of the 7th Continent, and how much each will fit with the style of board games you like.

There is a lot to like in the 7th Continent. It's got some beautiful, elegant mechanics and the feeling of exploration is really tough to beat. There are interesting decisions to make and so, so much to explore.

On the other hand, there is an obnoxious amount of card sorting, pulling out, putting back, pulling out, putting back, wiping the board to put everything back, and pulling out again. At the end of which you could run into a veritable dead end loop of not being able to hunt/fish effectively and exhaust your deck. Perhaps more frustratingly, you could make the wrong choice at one point of a cave and miss the entire objective you came into the cave for.

Your reward for this? Knowledge about how to do it right the next time AND the grand prize of getting to re-sort everything on the table, and put everything back into the box. Again.

In the end analysis of my time with the game, I do feel that it was worth the money - more than worth the money for the content included. It's just that the game turned into too much work for the amount of fun it was delivering. Gloomhaven is the perfect counterpoint (in my opinion) to a game that gets this positive correlation correct - it's a ton of work to get set up and tear down, but it's fun throughout. With the 7th Continent, I had a blast the first time through, and fun the second. From that point on, however, I could actively feel the dread of having to re-sort and replace everything to do it all over again.

Don't forget the huge emphasis on hunts. Definitely a big con for me. Actually I houseruled them. It was more fun but still annoying.

Still I stand by my initial statement above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very happy with my purchase. One of my best kickstarter experiences. This is game that could only be made on kickstarter, and I think they delivered in spades on what was promised. My only complaint was the long wait, and that should not be an issue with Kickstarter-2.

My wife and I are playing this together at home, which is certainly the easiest way to play. Set it up and play several times a week for 1-4 hours, at the end of the day. There is nothing else in my collection that has been this successful at pleasing both of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
Gloomhaven is the perfect counterpoint (in my opinion) to a game that gets this positive correlation correct - it's a ton of work to get set up and tear down, but it's fun throughout. With the 7th Continent, I had a blast the first time through, and fun the second. From that point on, however, I could actively feel the dread of having to re-sort and replace everything to do it all over again.

Thank you, Dillon, for voicing your dissent. This is a point that does resonate with me. I love playing Gloomhaven, but still somewhat dread getting it out! My only other experience with 'big' games, Arkham Horror, is less of a bother to me. Might be my comfort level, having played Arkham enough that it no longer daunts me.

I'd be curious if anyone who is in the "get it without hesitation" corner feels that the game may reach a point of "too much work for the amount of fun". And, to be fair, if that would have changed your mind about jumping in. I get the impression the response to that will be "Nope."

I also appreciate your end analysis. I like to think that games like Gloomhaven "I'll love forever," and that every one will stay with me until the end. The truth is that we'll part ways someday no matter what.

This has been eye opening! I lean toward the game, and will spend additional time watching videos with an eye out for this aspect.

Please continue to add to this thread as you can. I appreciate your enthusiasm and candor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
I'd be curious if anyone who is in the "get it without hesitation" corner feels that the game may reach a point of "too much work for the amount of fun". And, to be fair, if that would have changed your mind about jumping in. I get the impression the response to that will be "Nope."

I have reached that point. I've burnt myself on the game to review it for people like you who are hesitant about backing again. Unluckily for you I did so in French.
The response is not a vibrant "nope". It's a hesitant and thoughtful "nope". But it's still a "nope".

I still do intend to play it in the near future because I want to explore the Curse expansions.
From the base game there are 3 Curses I don't think I ever want to play again and 1 that I really do. That's 6 adventures and 30 hours later
And so far I've been a somewhat strong detractor of the game so there's also that to take into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Onkes
Germany
Norden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
would you tell your friends... "Yes, get this!" -or- "Let's just play my copy" -or- "No, don't bother"

I recommand only games when I really know that it would be to their liking. If I don't know someones preferences well enough I would suggest to check it out his/herself. Or invite to to play with me a couple of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jhebert wrote:

Are we talking about the mechanic of pulling certain cards at certain times? I've never thought that was any trouble at all. It's what I expected and it works fine. sometimes we pull out specific kinds of cards we think we are likely to need more often.

If we are talking about the put-away... I honestly don't find it that onerous. We split the work, and chat while we put it away, usually about what we saw this time, what we plan to do next, etc. It takes less than 10 minutes, even after a long game.

Eventually we will have completed all the Curses to our satisfaction at which point it will go on a shelf for a while to wait for more expansions from SP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.