Subject: Tool for prototyping, stickers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the fever of someone who "wants to write a novel", just with a boardgame. So I really want to do go as far as possible to figure out if my idea in my head is playable and more importantly fun. To do that I need to prototype, a lot.

I have cut out cardboard hexagons (YAY Hexagons), and I just had an idea that I think was quite good. If I just print out hexagon stickers, that I can stick on my hexagons I can apply another one if that hexagon tile is bad. This way I don't need to cut out more and more hexagons and write on new ones each time.

So my question is, what software do people recommend to use for creating stickers? I guess it could be any software and I could just print them out on A4 stickers and then cut them later on. And do people recommend any specific stickers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a color copier to reproduce all of the hexes I need, then attach the paper hex to a hex tile (or even directly to the board) with a thin coating of rubber cement.

REMEMBER: place cement on the paper side only!

The hex can easily be removed with zero damage if you're careful. Unlike stickers, these paper hexes can be reused on another project.

Here is an example:

Good Luck with your prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this site to be very good for stickers.

https://uk.onlinelabels.com/circle-labels.htm

One of those circles will fit neatly in your hexagons. You can also download templates for Word etc to make it easy to print onto them exactly.

Spiele Material also do some good blank materials, including blank hexes.

https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/counters/he...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Li
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
What quality are you looking for?

One of the best ways to do it is with a Silhouette Cameo or Cricut Explore. You will print out the patterns on sticker paper, then the machines will extremely accurately cut just the tops of the sticker paper so the adhesive part can be removed easily...

If you're looking to make just a quick and dirty prototype, you could just print them out and glue-stick them on, couldn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, I will see what I can do from this.

I'm looking for anything that is easy for me (relative of course), and as good looking as possible while still being productive. I am very poor with arts and crafts and thus looking for any suggestions.

But I will start with your suggestions and see what I can do.

I also saw these and thought about printing on to them and then just cut them with a snap-off utility knife after a template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.